The "How do You Pronounce X" Thread

Discussion of natural languages, or language in general.
Travis B.
Sumerul
Sumerul

Re: The "How do You Pronounce X" Thread

Post by Travis B. »

It is interesting that you often affricate /t/ before /ər/ even when no syncope takes place, especially since, IIRC, you are a non-native speaker of English, and to my knowledge no standard variety of English has this.
Dibotahamdn duthma jallni agaynni ra hgitn lakrhmi.
Amuhawr jalla vowa vta hlakrhi hdm duthmi xaja.
Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro.

Pole, the
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Pole, the »

Travis B. wrote:It is interesting that you often affricate /t/ before /ər/ even when no syncope takes place, especially since, IIRC, you are a non-native speaker of English, and to my knowledge no standard variety of English has this.
Well, if the /ər/ is realized as a rhotic vowel (and apparently it is), it's no wonder the preceding /t/ assimilates to that.
The conlanger formerly known as “the conlanger formerly known as Pole, the”.

If we don't study the mistakes of the future we're doomed to repeat them for the first time.

Travis B.
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Travis B. »

Pole, the wrote:
Travis B. wrote:It is interesting that you often affricate /t/ before /ər/ even when no syncope takes place, especially since, IIRC, you are a non-native speaker of English, and to my knowledge no standard variety of English has this.
Well, if the /ər/ is realized as a rhotic vowel (and apparently it is), it's no wonder the preceding /t/ assimilates to that.
Yes, but in less conservative but standard NAE /tər/ and /dər/ still do not affricate or palatalize, only /tr/ and /dr/ affricate and palatalize. (More conservative NAE does not affricate /tr/ or /dr/, or affricates them as retroflex rather than palatoalveolar.)

Travis B.
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Travis B. »

I didn't know where to put this, but one anecdote from my work was in a group of a bunch of people I said Rio, the name of the project I am working on, pronounced as [ˈʁʷiːo(ː)] several times, and every single time the people in the group all thought I was saying real, indicating that they all heard it as l-vocalization.

Io
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Io »

OMFG, I've just watched gen. McMaster speak and apparently he unironically says 'America' as [ə̆'mɚkə], wtf!? I'd always thought Merka was an invented spelling used to mock hurr-durr type of patriots and I had never actually heard it before.

spanick
Lebom
Lebom

Post by spanick »

Io wrote:OMFG, I've just watched gen. McMaster speak and apparently he unironically says 'America' as [ə̆'mɚkə], wtf!? I'd always thought Merka was an invented spelling used to mock hurr-durr type of patriots and I had never actually heard it before.
In fast, casual conversation it's not uncommon for me to say something like [ə̆'mɚɨkə].

Sumelic
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Sumelic »

Io wrote:OMFG, I've just watched gen. McMaster speak and apparently he unironically says 'America' as [ə̆'mɚkə], wtf!? I'd always thought Merka was an invented spelling used to mock hurr-durr type of patriots and I had never actually heard it before.
It could be related to what Wikipedia describes as the "merry-Murray merger" that was historically a feature of accents in some regions like Philadelphia. Or it might just be an unrelated example of the common process of irregular shortenings and simplifications in commonly used place-names.

Qxentio
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Qxentio »

Travis B. wrote:
Pole, the wrote:
Yes, but in less conservative but standard NAE /tər/ and /dər/ still do not affricate or palatalize, only /tr/ and /dr/ affricate and palatalize. (More conservative NAE does not affricate /tr/ or /dr/, or affricates them as retroflex rather than palatoalveolar.)
Maybe the most accurate way of describing it would be, for example, [ˈsɪs.tʰɹ̥ɚ]. That is, the [t] releases directly into a first voiceless, then voiced, rhothic vowel and the placement of the tongue produces an ever so slight hissing noise after the release.
Meine Muttersprache ist Deutsch. My second language is English. Olim discēbam Latinam. Sú ginévam Jagárhvejak. Opiskelen Suomea. Un ek kür en lütten Tick Platt.

linguoboy
Sanno
Sanno

Post by linguoboy »

gallant

Where's the stress? And does it vary according to syntax, semantics, or both?

Salmoneus
Sanno
Sanno

Post by Salmoneus »

Loss of schwa after /r/ is commonplace in the US, as I understand it - c.f. Bush's distinction between "merkins" and "tourists".
Blog: [url]http://vacuouswastrel.wordpress.com/[/url]

But the river tripped on her by and by, lapping
as though her heart was brook: Why, why, why! Weh, O weh
I'se so silly to be flowing but I no canna stay!

Salmoneus
Sanno
Sanno

Post by Salmoneus »

linguoboy wrote:gallant

It varies according to semantics and possibly pragmatics.

The era and things associated with it are stressed on the second syllable (and often spelled differently). The chivalrous behaviour is typically stressed on the first syllable. However, if I were being particularly mocking (affectionately or otherwise), or old-fashioned, or... ornate... then I'd stress the second syllable. Whether this is a pragmatic change (indicating a more playful register) or a semantic one (referring to a slighty different, more archaic and incongruous set of behaviours) is something I'm not really sure of, off the top of my head.
I suppose, to put it in specifics, i'd be more likely to stress the final syllable if I were talking about a man being ostentatiously chivalrous to a woman, particularly with romantic intentions, while I'd be more likely to stress the initial syllable if I were talking about someone being, say, brave (possibly there's contamination here with the noun, gallantry, which is usually about couragous action). But again, since I'd be talking about, say, someone opening a door for a woman, on the one hand, and someone charging a machine gun, on the other, in typically very different circumstances, I'm not sure to what extent that's semantic and how much is pragmatic.
I'd also probably stress the second syllable if I were using it to mean 'foppish', but again, since that would be mocking it may be pragmatic.

Likewise, the noun for a person is usually initial stress, but could be second if i were talking about a fop or a lech or the like.

The sail I would pronounce with initial stress, but I'm not sure I've ever actually said it outloud.

Pole, the
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Pole, the »

Salmoneus wrote:Loss of schwa after /r/ is commonplace in the US, as I understand it - c.f. Bush's distinction between "merkins" and "tourists".
It wasn't uncommon back in 1950s either — when Stanisław Lem wrote the (later auto-apocryphal) “Twenty-Sixth Voyage”, parodying the US as „Merka” (and also New York as „Niuouk” and the A-bomb as „Ejbom”).
The conlanger formerly known as “the conlanger formerly known as Pole, the”.

If we don't study the mistakes of the future we're doomed to repeat them for the first time.

Travis B.
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Travis B. »

I always pronounce gallant on the first syllable; and to me it is only an adjective.

linguoboy
Sanno
Sanno

Post by linguoboy »

Salmoneus wrote:Loss of schwa after /r/ is commonplace in the US, as I understand it - c.f. Bush's distinction between "merkins" and "tourists".
Speaking of which, temp'rature or temper'ture?

Zaarin
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Zaarin »

linguoboy wrote:gallant

For me gallant is always stressed on the second-syllable, probably because I was habitually corrected for stressing the initial syllable...
linguoboy wrote:
temper'ture
"But if of ships I now should sing, what ship would come to me,
What ship would bear me ever back across so wide a Sea?”

Salmoneus
Sanno
Sanno

Post by Salmoneus »

linguoboy wrote:
The former. The latter sounds really bizarre ('tempacha') - probably because losing the second schwa would mean losing the /r/ entirely for me.

Travis B.
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Travis B. »

I have temp'rature. I also have /frə/ for the prefix for- in informal speech.

Znex
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Znex »

Travis B. wrote:I have temp'rature. I also have /frə/ for the prefix for- in informal speech.
What do you have for these then?
forget
forgotten
forgive
forgave
forsake
forsook
forbid
forbade
forcast
fret
forlorn

For myself:
forget [fə'gɛt̚]
forgot [fə'gɔt̚]
forgive [fə'gɪv]
forgave [fə'gɛɪ̯v]
forsake [fə'sɛɪ̯k]
forsook [fə'sʊk]
forbid [fə'bɪd̚]
forbade [fə'bɛɪ̯d̚]
fret [fɻɛt̚]
forlorn [fəlõːn]
for Pete's sake [fə pʰɪi̯t‿sɛɪ̯k]
Native: English || Pretty decent: Ancient Greek || Alright: Ancient Hebrew || Eh: Welsh || Basic: Mandarin Chinese || Very basic: French, Latin, Nisuese, Apsish
Conlangs: Nisuese, Apsish, Kaptaran, Pseudo-Ligurian

linguoboy
Sanno
Sanno

Post by linguoboy »

I have [ɚ] in all those cases (perhaps better represented as [ɻ] in the case of fret).

The only interesting variation I have is the vowel /o/ in the first syllable of forlorn and optionally in forms of forsake. Those words belong to a formal register for me, so reducing the first vowel sounds odd (and with forlorn, actually incorrect).

(BTW, you dropped forcast [sic] from your list. I'm assuming you have initial stress and a full vowel there, just as I do?)

Travis B.
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Travis B. »

forget [fʁəːˈgɜʔ]
forgotten [fʁəːˈgaʔn̩(ː)]
forgive [fʁəːˈgɘːf]
forgave [fʁəːˈgeːf]
forsake [fɔʁˈseʔk]
forsook [fɔʁˈsʲʉ̯ʊʔk]
forbid [fʁəːˈbɘːt]
forbade [fʁəːˈbeːt]
forbidden [fʁəːˈbɘːnː~fʁəːˈbɘːːn]
forecast [ˌfɔʁˈkʰɛsʲtʲ]
fret [fʁɜʔ]
forlorn [fɔːʁˈʟ̞ɔ̃(ː)ʁ̃(n)~fɔːʁˈɰɔ̃(ː)ʁ̃(n)]

linguoboy
Sanno
Sanno

Post by linguoboy »

"cishet"

Travis B.
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Travis B. »

cishet: [ˈsɘsˌhɜʔ], followed by a vowel [ˈsɘsˌhɜɾ].

alynnidalar
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by alynnidalar »

/sɪsˈhɛʔ/ I think, although I've written it significantly more than I've spoken it. I definitely stress the last syllable, but I'm not sure why.
I generally forget to say, so if it's relevant and I don't mention it--I'm from Southern Michigan and speak Inland North American English. Yes, I have the Northern Cities Vowel Shift; no, I don't have the cot-caught merger; and it is called pop.

Aili Meilani
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Aili Meilani »

linguoboy wrote:"cishet"
[junəkɚn]

GamerGeek
Sanci
Sanci

Post by GamerGeek »

Word-Initially, just not in Xylophone: /z/ (Ex: [zinofobia])
Intervocallically and Unstressed: /gz/ (Ex. [ɤgzampl])
None of the above: /ks/ (Ex. [eks])

wait...