The Finch has Grammar!

Discussion of natural languages, or language in general.
Ashroot
Lebom
Lebom

The Finch has Grammar!

Post by Ashroot »

Read this. I thought it was at least noteworthy. Scold me if otherwise.

Jetboy
Avisaru
Avisaru

Re: The Finch has Grammar!

Post by Jetboy »

Uh, this doesn't give evidence of grammar, it gives evidence of what could debatably called phonology. After all, it sounds like all they were doing was rearranging pitches, and I'm pretty sure animals distinguishing pitch sequences is not revolutionary. The article even uses the word "syllables", which are usually not on the level of syntax (unless the article is claiming that finch-language is limited to monosyllabic morphemes). And there isn't evidence that the finches reactions are indicators of ungrammaticality– in fact, the article says it's triggered by unfamiliarity, and the researchers may just have stumbled upon some meaningful sequence, or perhaps the other versions were similar enough to the original that the birds counted them as the same.
"A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort."
–Herm Albright
Even better than a proto-conlang, it's the *kondn̥ǵʰwéh₂s

Mr. Z
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Mr. Z »

I wonder why they think the birds have grammar just because they react differently to one of the songs. I react differently to different songs in Japanese, for example, even though I don't know the grammar of the language. How is that related to grammar? :evil:
Přemysl wrote:
Kereb wrote:they are nerdissimus inter nerdes
Oh god, we truly are nerdy. My first instinct was "why didn't he just use sunt and have it all in Latin?".
Languages I speak fluently
English, עברית

Languages I am studying
العربية, 日本語

Conlangs
Athonian

Salmoneus
Sanno
Sanno

Post by Salmoneus »

Mr. Z wrote:I wonder why they think the birds have grammar just because they react differently to one of the songs. I react differently to different songs in Japanese, for example, even though I don't know the grammar of the language. How is that related to grammar? :evil:
I've not read the article, but: you respond differently to different songs in Japanese because you know (something about) the grammar of the musical language, even if you don't know any of the grammar of the language of the lyrics.
Blog: [url]http://vacuouswastrel.wordpress.com/[/url]

But the river tripped on her by and by, lapping
as though her heart was brook: Why, why, why! Weh, O weh
I'se so silly to be flowing but I no canna stay!

lalamans
Niš
Niš

Post by lalamans »

This article is nuts. Although it's interesting that the birds reacted differently to just one of the remixes, there could be other reasons. Maybe the remix resulting in a bird-language insult.

Does this seem cruel to anyone?
Finally, Abe chemically destroyed an area of the brain called the anterior nidopallium in some birds, and was thereby able to demonstrate that it is vital for registering faulty grammar. In humans, a region called Broca's area is activated when we hear ungrammatical sentences, so Abe suggests that studying the counterpart region in finches might throw new light on the origins of human grammar.
He basically gives the birds aphasia, a terrible disorder which would leave them socially isolated.

Zumir
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Zumir »

I disagree. He might have prevented the bird from mating, but since bird-song isn't actually a language, the bird wouldn't suffer from what makes the disease horrible in the first place.
Anyway, welcome to the board lalamans! Have some pickles and tea. :)
Zim ho Xsárnicja žovnyce.

Kortoso
Niš
Niš

Post by Kortoso »

It may only demonstrate that syntax has some sort of meaning in their songs.