What do you call this?

Discussion of natural languages, or language in general.
Rhetorica
Avisaru
Avisaru

Re: What do you call this?

Post by Rhetorica »

ol bofosh wrote:
ObsequiousNewt wrote:
Rhetorica wrote:"Lithe" is the traditional, unambiguous and non-euphemistic term, I'm pretty sure.
I always had the impression that was more like "slender".
Yeah, me too. Like someone that has very little gravity of their own and just floats around like a cloud.
I considered "slender," (probably more common!) but it's a lot rarer to see "lithe" used to describe anything other than a figure, whereas "buxom" isn't used for anything else at all—so they're closer to being exact antonyms.

ol bofosh
Smeric
Smeric
Location: tʰæ.ɹʷˠə.ˈgɜʉ̯.nɜ kʰæ.tə.ˈlɜʉ̯.nʲɜ spɛ̝ɪ̯n ˈjʏː.ɹəʔp

Post by ol bofosh »

I've only seen lithe written, and never really heard it, so I've lacked a context to show me exactly what it is. It was just an archaic word for slender. And until the other day when I looked in Wiktionary I always imagined it to be pronounced /li:T/.

Edit: and buxom I don't assosiate with the general figure, just the size of the breasts.
It was about time I changed this.

ObsequiousNewt
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by ObsequiousNewt »

ol bofosh wrote:I've only seen lithe written, and never really heard it, so I've lacked a context to show me exactly what it is. It was just an archaic word for slender. And until the other day when I looked in Wiktionary I always imagined it to be pronounced /li:T/.

Edit: and buxom I don't assosiate with the general figure, just the size of the breasts.
Same for me.

Ο ορανς τα ανα̨ριθομον ϝερρον εͱεν ανθροποτροφον.
Το̨ ανθροπς αυ̨τ εκψον επ αθο̨ οραναμο̨ϝον.
Θαιν. Θαιν. Θαιν. Θαιν. Θαιν. Θαιν. Θαιν.

linguoboy
Sanno
Sanno

Post by linguoboy »

I've been getting some fun replies to this elsewhere, so I'm curious to hear y'all's responses:

2+3 clusivity
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by 2+3 clusivity »

Wardrobe. I had to look at a bit to make sure it wasn't a designer side by side fridge and freezer combo.
linguoboy wrote:So that's what it looks like when the master satirist is moistened by his own moutarde.

Vijay
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Vijay »

It kind of reminds me of...one of those pantries that you...build yourself from pieces that are provided to you? My brother has one of those. I'm not sure how to describe it.

KathTheDragon
Smeric
Smeric

Post by KathTheDragon »

If it's in a bedroom it's a wardrobe, anywhere else it's a cupboard (and that was my first reaction to seeing it, too)

Salmoneus
Sanno
Sanno

Post by Salmoneus »

I would assume it's a wardrobe. It might perhaps be a full-length cupboard, but those aren't very common. It could be built-in fridges, freezers, or other household appliances. I can't think of any other possible names. Except that there are some functions that might override its form - if you keep guns or ammunition belts in it, it might be a gun locker or a magazine? If it were in the changing room at a stadium, I might call it a locker, even if it doesn't lock, just on the basis that it would be taking the role traditionally filled by a locker?
Blog: [url]http://vacuouswastrel.wordpress.com/[/url]

But the river tripped on her by and by, lapping
as though her heart was brook: Why, why, why! Weh, O weh
I'se so silly to be flowing but I no canna stay!

alynnidalar
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by alynnidalar »

First word into my head, before I read anything you said, was cabinet. Then I thought of pantry (I typically think of pantry as a specific room/closet, but if this thing was in a kitchen and food was stored in it, I could still call it a pantry--my parents' house is like this, and their cabinetry looks fairly similar to that picture, which is probably why I thought of this so quickly).

Interestingly enough, plain ol' "cupboard" didn't occur to me until I read Kath and Sal's posts.

I would not call it a "wardrobe"; to me, that implies a piece of furniture with legs that is detached from the wall that you could move around and such. (also, "wardrobe" always makes me think of Chronicles of Narnia anyway) If it were in someone's bedroom and they stored clothes in it, I suppose I might call it a "closet".
I generally forget to say, so if it's relevant and I don't mention it--I'm from Southern Michigan and speak Inland North American English. Yes, I have the Northern Cities Vowel Shift; no, I don't have the cot-caught merger; and it is called pop.

Vijay
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Vijay »

I honestly feel like half the problem with that thing is knowing what the hell it is. Like, what is it for? Is it for storing clothes, food, papers, or what?

Viktor77
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Viktor77 »

alynnidalar wrote:I would not call it a "wardrobe"; to me, that implies a piece of furniture with legs that is detached from the wall that you could move around and such. (also, "wardrobe" always makes me think of Chronicles of Narnia anyway) If it were in someone's bedroom and they stored clothes in it, I suppose I might call it a "closet".
We come from the same dialectal region and I'd be inclined to agree with you but there's no other word for this thing for me, even if a wardrobe should ideally be detached from the wall. The only other word is a clothes closet or something.
Falgwian and Falgwia!!

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur.

KathTheDragon
Smeric
Smeric

Post by KathTheDragon »

Salmoneus wrote:It might perhaps be a full-length cupboard, but those aren't very common.
I suppose not, but we have one at home for the mop, ironing board, and some other things I can't think of.

Pole, the
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Pole, the »

linguoboy wrote:I've been getting some fun replies to this elsewhere, so I'm curious to hear y'all's responses:

https://www.babbo.hu/upload/image/pictu ... -juhar.jpg
szafa
The conlanger formerly known as “the conlanger formerly known as Pole, the”.

If we don't study the mistakes of the future we're doomed to repeat them for the first time.

linguoboy
Sanno
Sanno

Post by linguoboy »

Vijay wrote:I honestly feel like half the problem with that thing is knowing what the hell it is. Like, what is it for? Is it for storing clothes, food, papers, or what?
One of the fascinating things about asking this question is that it's exposed the lack of a general term based on form. One of my native German-speaking friends (for whom this is a Schrank, qualified by contents as necessary, e.g. Kleiderschrank "wardrobe") found it odd that most people need to know what's in it or what room it's in before they can venture an answer.

Vijay
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Vijay »

I mean, I guess on some level, it's basically a box. :P We just wouldn't really call it that.

Pole, the
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Pole, the »

It's not a box! Boxes are made of paper, are less durable and give significantly worse access to the items, if you want to put them in and take them out frequently!

And boxes made of wood are not boxes, but crates, and they are only ever used in Worms.

If what I just wrote sounds weird to you, that's basically how the last few posts here sound to me.

If we don't study the mistakes of the future we're doomed to repeat them for the first time.

Vijay
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Vijay »

Okay, I'm gonna have to ask you what these wooden crates in Worms are.

Pole, the
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Pole, the »

Well, crates? Wooden containers with some useful things in them?

Another question: how would you call this thing?

(Let's suppose I've already put all my in a wardrobe/cabinet/cupboard and I want to store food in this one.)

linguoboy
Sanno
Sanno

Post by linguoboy »

Pole, the wrote:Another question: howwhat would you call this thing?
A mistake.

Vijay
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Vijay »

Pole, the wrote:Well, crates? Wooden containers with some useful things in them?
I mean why specifically Worms. Or was that just a random thought to you?

linguoboy
Sanno
Sanno

Post by linguoboy »

Vijay wrote:
Pole, the wrote:Well, crates? Wooden containers with some useful things in them?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reductio_ad_absurdum

Vijay
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Vijay »

linguoboy wrote:
Vijay wrote:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reductio_ad_absurdum
Okay, now I'm even more lost.

Pole, the
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Pole, the »

Vijay wrote:
Okay, now I'm even more lost.
You've just been reduced to absurdum. Booyah!

Vijay
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Vijay »

NOOOOoooo

Zaarin
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Zaarin »

Another question: how would you call this thing?

(Let's suppose I've already put all my in a wardrobe/cabinet/cupboard and I want to store food in this one.)
A curio cabinet, I believe. Though if you're storing food in a curio cabinet, well...

If this were in a kindergarten instead of a living room, however, it would be called a "cubby." :p
"But if of ships I now should sing, what ship would come to me,
What ship would bear me ever back across so wide a Sea?”