What do you call this?

Discussion of natural languages, or language in general.
Drydic
Smeric
Smeric

Re: What do you call this?

Post by Drydic »

The company calls it 'twist' or something but everyone else calls it frozen yogurt.
Image Image
Common Zein Scratchpad & other Stuffs! OMG AN ACTUAL CONPOST WTFBBQ

Formerly known as Drydic.

dunomapuka
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by dunomapuka »

What is all this hate for soft-serve? Soft-serve is the best. I think I call the chocolate-vanilla combo a "twist."

Bristel
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Bristel »

Chocolate-vanilla ice cream for me is called a "swirl", but I'm not sure if that's official or used by anyone else.
[bɹ̠ˤʷɪs.təɫ]
Nōn quālibet inīquā cupiditāte illectus hoc agō
Yo te pongo en tu lugar...
Taisc mach Daró

Qwynegold
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Qwynegold »

Guitarplayer wrote:I think he might rather mean the disgusting ice cream that comes in liter boxes from the supermarket? Especially disgusting if it's cheap-ass "White Brands" like Ja and stuff :?
I don't understand. Can you explain in more detail?
My most recent quiz:
Eurovision Song Contest 2018

Acid Badger
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Acid Badger »

Qwynegold wrote:
Guitarplayer wrote:I think he might rather mean the disgusting ice cream that comes in liter boxes from the supermarket? Especially disgusting if it's cheap-ass "White Brands" like Ja and stuff :?
Ja! is a brand of cheap food and stuff sold in German supermarkets belonging to the Rewe-Group, sold in white package. I never bought Ja!-ice cream, though...

*Ceresz
Lebom
Lebom

Post by *Ceresz »

Mjukglass, of course. Or soft serve.

Qwynegold
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Qwynegold »

Fanu wrote:
Qwynegold wrote:
Ja! is a brand of cheap food and stuff sold in German supermarkets belonging to the Rewe-Group, sold in white package. I never bought Ja!-ice cream, though...
404 error. Does it contain like individual ready made soft ice creams, or do you need to have some kind of machine?
My most recent quiz:
Eurovision Song Contest 2018

Jipí
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Jipí »

No, just plain, unmixed ice. You'd need to manually mix them. And I don't find the posting this was supposed to be a reply to anymore :( I didn't intend it to be a reply to the OP. More like a propos.

As for mixed-sorts Eis(krem), I can't think of a special term to call that in German either. To me, Softeis is that kind of super-soft ice cream that typically comes from vending machines, but not specific to any sort or mix.

linguoboy
Sanno
Sanno

Post by linguoboy »

I'ma hijack this topic since I just read a Spiegel article listing dozens of different terms for "end piece from a loaf of bread". This strikes me as a classic example of one of those things that everyone has a name for but for which there is no widespread common term because it's something people only ever talk about in very colloquial contexts. Another example (for English at least) is "the crusty bits in your eyes when you wake up".

For the first, I have "end piece". I can't think of any other term in English except perhaps "crust", but that's ambiguous because it can also mean the outer edge of an ordinary slice.

For the second, "sand". "Sleep" I recognise from literary contexts. And the last time I saw a discussion of this term, I was surprised how many people came up with "eye boogers", which I had only ever come across before in a comic strip from the 80s.

Viktor77
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Viktor77 »

I call it the "end piece" or "end slice" or occasionally "that poor piece which no one is going to eat."

The other I can't think of a name for, but I'd likely refer to them incorrectly as "dried tears" (as in the tears after you yawn not the tears after you cry (not there's any difference biologically, though in meaning there is)).
Last edited by Viktor77 on Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Falgwian and Falgwia!!

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur.

Jipí
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Jipí »

The word for the rest of an apple is also One of Those Words in German, AFAIK. For the end piece of bread I'm familiar with Knust, Kanten, Knöppchen.

Izambri
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Izambri »

In Catalan, el de la crosta "the one with the crust" or el del final "the one at the end", but more commonly aquest "this one".
Un llapis mai dibuixa sense una mà.

linguoboy
Sanno
Sanno

Post by linguoboy »

Guitarplayer wrote:The word for the rest of an apple is also One of Those Words in German, AFAIK.
Yeah, there's a link to an earlier article on that from the "Knäppchen, Knäuschen und Knörzchen" article I linked to.
Guitarplayer wrote:For the end piece of bread I'm familiar with Knust, Kanten, Knöppchen.
FWIW, where I was in the Southwest, the word is Knäusle.

Jashan
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Jashan »

I've always just called it a "twist".

Edit:

And the end of a loaf of bread is either called "the end" or, more properly, "the heel" here.

The crusty bits in your eyes is properly called 'sleep', or, colloquially, I hear things like "crusties", "eye-dirt", "eye-gunk", etc.

But it's 1) twist 2) heel and 3) sleep, properly.
Last edited by Jashan on Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[quote="Xephyr"]Kitties: little happy factories.[/quote]

Astraios
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Astraios »

I have crust (in practice it's not likely to be ambiguous whether you mean the outside bit of any slice or the end slice of the loaf) and sleep.

cromulant
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by cromulant »

linguoboy wrote:For the first, I have "end piece". I can't think of any other term in English except perhaps "crust", but that's ambiguous because it can also mean the outer edge of an ordinary slice.
Heel. (That's what I call it).
For the second, "sand". "Sleep" I recognise from literary contexts. And the last time I saw a discussion of this term, I was surprised how many people came up with "eye boogers", which I had only ever come across before in a comic strip from the 80s.
Sleepy sand.

linguoboy
Sanno
Sanno

Post by linguoboy »

Jashan wrote:And the end of a loaf of bread is either called "the end" or, more properly, "the heel" here.
Heel! Why couldn't I remember that earlier? Apparently that usage is so old it's attested in Piers Plowman.

Bob Johnson
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Bob Johnson »

"end piece from a loaf of bread" -> I've heard "butt bread" or "butt" but I don't really use a specific word; "end" I guess?
"the crusty bits in your eyes when you wake up" -> "sleep" specifically though it's also a type of "gunk"

----
Smeric
Smeric

Post by ---- »

I called them eye boogers when I was like an 8 year old but they've never come up in conversation since then so I don't know
I just call that gross weird slice of bread 'the end piece'

Timmytiptoe
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Timmytiptoe »

(My version of) Dutch:
End slice of bread: informally 'kontje' (butt), formally 'kapje' (cap)
The crusty bits in your eyes when you wake up: 'slaapkorsten' (sleep crusts)

MisterBernie
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by MisterBernie »

The end piece of bread is the Scherzl vor me, as is the first one, although that's sometimes the anschnitt when I want to differentiate.
And when it's fresh and proper bread, it is the best piece of bread /breadwank

Also, ugh, whenever I read the name Bastian Sick, I get those neck shivers of unpleasantness.
Constructed Voices - Another conlanging/conworlding blog.
Latest post: Joyful Birth of the Oiled One

finlay
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by finlay »

"the last slice that most people don't want to eat" and "sleep".

Declan
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Declan »

The crust (which I eat as a normal piece of bread by the way), though I'd recognise the heel of a loaf, even if I wouldn't say it. And sleep in my eyes, never sand or anything like that.
[quote]Great wit and madness near abide, and fine a line their bounds divide.[/quote]

Izambri
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Izambri »

The crusty bits in your eyes when you wake up is lleganya in Catalan, from Latin laganĕa, from lagănum "crust", "fritter".
Un llapis mai dibuixa sense una mà.

Lyhoko Leaci
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Lyhoko Leaci »

Butt, heel, or possibly bird food for the bread, possibly sleep or ick for the other stuff.
Zain pazitovcor, sio? Sio, tovcor.
You can't read that, right? Yes, it says that.
Shinali Sishi wrote:"Have I spoken unclearly? I meant electric catfish not electric onions."