What do you call this?

Discussion of natural languages, or language in general.
Post Reply
User avatar
ol bofosh
Smeric
Smeric
Posts: 1169
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:30 pm
Location: tʰæ.ɹʷˠə.ˈgɜʉ̯.nɜ kʰæ.tə.ˈlɜʉ̯.nʲɜ spɛ̝ɪ̯n ˈjʏː.ɹəʔp

Re: What do you call this?

Post by ol bofosh »

At first glance I'd say "coffee pot", but looking at other's answers I might say "Moka pot."
It was about time I changed this.

Cael
Sanci
Sanci
Posts: 37
Joined: Wed May 02, 2012 12:58 am
Location: Elezai

Re: What do you call this?

Post by Cael »

In my part of the world we call that ice cream

User avatar
linguoboy
Sanno
Sanno
Posts: 3681
Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2002 9:00 am
Location: Rogers Park/Evanston

Re: What do you call this?

Post by linguoboy »

Image

User avatar
Hallow XIII
Avisaru
Avisaru
Posts: 846
Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2012 3:40 pm
Location: Under Heaven

Re: What do you call this?

Post by Hallow XIII »

that is a spatula
陳第 wrote:蓋時有古今,地有南北;字有更革,音有轉移,亦勢所必至。
R.Rusanov wrote:seks istiyorum
sex want-PRS-1sg
Read all about my excellent conlangs
Basic Conlanging Advice

cromulant
Avisaru
Avisaru
Posts: 402
Joined: Tue Jul 25, 2006 10:12 pm

Re: What do you call this?

Post by cromulant »

Inversion wrote:that is a spatula


Affirmed.

(Whatever happened to Viktor?)

User avatar
linguoboy
Sanno
Sanno
Posts: 3681
Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2002 9:00 am
Location: Rogers Park/Evanston

Re: What do you call this?

Post by linguoboy »

And this?

Image

User avatar
Izambri
Smeric
Smeric
Posts: 1556
Joined: Sun Apr 04, 2004 4:27 pm
Location: Catalonia

Re: What do you call this?

Post by Izambri »

Both are espàtules in Catalan, and I think I would use spatula in English to name both.
Un llapis mai dibuixa sense una mà.

User avatar
Rhetorica
Avisaru
Avisaru
Posts: 271
Joined: Sun Nov 03, 2013 3:33 pm

Re: What do you call this?

Post by Rhetorica »

I believe the first one is called a (burger) flipper in my hometown (SE Ontario), and calling it a spatula would be weird because it's not used for stirring. Of course, that's a cheap, nasty plastic one that probably burns on the grill if you're not careful. Notice that the head isn't actually resting on the surface; the shadow diffuses because it's bent upward.

The last one is definitely a (plasticrubber) spatula.
Last edited by Rhetorica on Sat Nov 16, 2013 7:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

cromulant
Avisaru
Avisaru
Posts: 402
Joined: Tue Jul 25, 2006 10:12 pm

Re: What do you call this?

Post by cromulant »

Izambri wrote:Both are espàtules in Catalan, and I think I would use spatula in English to name both.


This, minus the bits about Catalan. Wikipedia vindicates me:

One variety is alternately named turner, and is used to lift and flip food items during cooking, such as pancakes and fillets.

User avatar
linguoboy
Sanno
Sanno
Posts: 3681
Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2002 9:00 am
Location: Rogers Park/Evanston

Re: What do you call this?

Post by linguoboy »

cromulant wrote:This, minus the bits about Catalan. Wikipedia vindicates me:
One variety is alternately named turner, and is used to lift and flip food items during cooking, such as pancakes and fillets.

It's not about being right, it's about what you say.

"Turner" doesn't sound familiar to me. I think when we needed to distinguish we said "flipper". The other kind was a "rubber spatula" or "scraper".

User avatar
Boşkoventi
Lebom
Lebom
Posts: 157
Joined: Mon Aug 14, 2006 4:22 pm
Location: Somewhere north of Dixieland

Re: What do you call this?

Post by Boşkoventi »

The first is a spatula, and I guess I'd call the second a scraper--at least I think that's what my mom called those things. (Although, I have an unopened set of the latter, and the packaging calls them spatulas. Weird.)
Radius Solis wrote:The scientific method! It works, bitches.
Είναι όλα Ελληνικά για μένα.

User avatar
clawgrip
Smeric
Smeric
Posts: 1723
Joined: Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:21 am
Location: Tokyo

Re: What do you call this?

Post by clawgrip »

Rhetorica wrote:I believe the first one is called a burger-flipper in my hometown (SE Ontario), and calling it a spatula would be weird because it's not used for stirring. Of course, that's a cheap, nasty plastic one that probably burns on the grill if you're not careful. Notice that the head isn't actually resting on the surface; the shadow diffuses because it's bent upward.

The last one is definitely a (plasticrubber) spatula.

I also just tend to say flipper, but I'm also from Toronto. At least I can confirm your word though. I've heard people call it a spatula, but I would not call it that. The second one is definitely a spatula.

User avatar
Drydic
Smeric
Smeric
Posts: 1652
Joined: Tue Oct 08, 2002 12:23 pm
Location: I am a prisoner in my own mind.
Contact:

Re: What do you call this?

Post by Drydic »

Weirdos, those are both spatulas, with the second one being prefixed with rubber if necessary.
Image Image
Common Zein Scratchpad & other Stuffs! OMG AN ACTUAL CONPOST WTFBBQ

Formerly known as Drydic.

User avatar
Hallow XIII
Avisaru
Avisaru
Posts: 846
Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2012 3:40 pm
Location: Under Heaven

Re: What do you call this?

Post by Hallow XIII »

Drydic wrote:Weirdos, those are both spatulas, with the second one being prefixed with rubber if necessary.

so very

cromulant wrote:(Whatever happened to Viktor?)

I do not know but whatever it is it is a good thing.

I seriously hope it doesn't transpire now that he has in fact died in a horrible accident.
陳第 wrote:蓋時有古今,地有南北;字有更革,音有轉移,亦勢所必至。
R.Rusanov wrote:seks istiyorum
sex want-PRS-1sg
Read all about my excellent conlangs
Basic Conlanging Advice

User avatar
Gulliver
Avisaru
Avisaru
Posts: 433
Joined: Mon May 05, 2003 2:58 pm
Location: The West Country
Contact:

Re: What do you call this?

Post by Gulliver »

Inversion wrote:
cromulant wrote:(Whatever happened to Viktor?)

I do not know but whatever it is it is a good thing.

I seriously hope it doesn't transpire now that he has in fact died in a horrible accident.
Don't be mean. We're friends on Facebook and he seems to be doing well enough. I like his posts about nice houses.

I'd call both spatulas, but if I was having to be clear I'd probably call the top one a fishslice.

User avatar
ol bofosh
Smeric
Smeric
Posts: 1169
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:30 pm
Location: tʰæ.ɹʷˠə.ˈgɜʉ̯.nɜ kʰæ.tə.ˈlɜʉ̯.nʲɜ spɛ̝ɪ̯n ˈjʏː.ɹəʔp

Re: What do you call this?

Post by ol bofosh »

Spatula both, here.
It was about time I changed this.

User avatar
ObsequiousNewt
Avisaru
Avisaru
Posts: 434
Joined: Fri Oct 18, 2013 5:05 pm
Location: /ˈaɪ̯əwʌ/

Re: What do you call this?

Post by ObsequiousNewt »

Both spatulæ for me.


Ο ορανς τα ανα̨ριθομον ϝερρον εͱεν ανθροποτροφον.
Το̨ ανθροπς αυ̨τ εκψον επ αθο̨ οραναμο̨ϝον.
Θαιν. Θαιν. Θαιν. Θαιν. Θαιν. Θαιν. Θαιν.

User avatar
Pinetree
Lebom
Lebom
Posts: 204
Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2012 1:55 pm

Re: What do you call this?

Post by Pinetree »

clawgrip wrote:
Rhetorica wrote:I believe the first one is called a burger-flipper in my hometown (SE Ontario), and calling it a spatula would be weird because it's not used for stirring. Of course, that's a cheap, nasty plastic one that probably burns on the grill if you're not careful. Notice that the head isn't actually resting on the surface; the shadow diffuses because it's bent upward.

The last one is definitely a (plasticrubber) spatula.

I also just tend to say flipper, but I'm also from Toronto. At least I can confirm your word though. I've heard people call it a spatula, but I would not call it that. The second one is definitely a spatula.


I can confirm that Toronto is not alone among Canadian cities in this regard. I am from Greater Vancouver, and I too would call the first a flipper and the second a spatula.

User avatar
ObsequiousNewt
Avisaru
Avisaru
Posts: 434
Joined: Fri Oct 18, 2013 5:05 pm
Location: /ˈaɪ̯əwʌ/

Re: What do you call this?

Post by ObsequiousNewt »

Is there an antonym of "buxom" in common use?


Ο ορανς τα ανα̨ριθομον ϝερρον εͱεν ανθροποτροφον.
Το̨ ανθροπς αυ̨τ εκψον επ αθο̨ οραναμο̨ϝον.
Θαιν. Θαιν. Θαιν. Θαιν. Θαιν. Θαιν. Θαιν.

cromulant
Avisaru
Avisaru
Posts: 402
Joined: Tue Jul 25, 2006 10:12 pm

Re: What do you call this?

Post by cromulant »

Flat.

User avatar
ol bofosh
Smeric
Smeric
Posts: 1169
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:30 pm
Location: tʰæ.ɹʷˠə.ˈgɜʉ̯.nɜ kʰæ.tə.ˈlɜʉ̯.nʲɜ spɛ̝ɪ̯n ˈjʏː.ɹəʔp

Re: What do you call this?

Post by ol bofosh »

Ironing board.
It was about time I changed this.

User avatar
Rhetorica
Avisaru
Avisaru
Posts: 271
Joined: Sun Nov 03, 2013 3:33 pm

Re: What do you call this?

Post by Rhetorica »

"Lithe" is the traditional, unambiguous and non-euphemistic term, I'm pretty sure.

User avatar
ObsequiousNewt
Avisaru
Avisaru
Posts: 434
Joined: Fri Oct 18, 2013 5:05 pm
Location: /ˈaɪ̯əwʌ/

Re: What do you call this?

Post by ObsequiousNewt »

Rhetorica wrote:"Lithe" is the traditional, unambiguous and non-euphemistic term, I'm pretty sure.

I always had the impression that was more like "slender".


Ο ορανς τα ανα̨ριθομον ϝερρον εͱεν ανθροποτροφον.
Το̨ ανθροπς αυ̨τ εκψον επ αθο̨ οραναμο̨ϝον.
Θαιν. Θαιν. Θαιν. Θαιν. Θαιν. Θαιν. Θαιν.

User avatar
ol bofosh
Smeric
Smeric
Posts: 1169
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:30 pm
Location: tʰæ.ɹʷˠə.ˈgɜʉ̯.nɜ kʰæ.tə.ˈlɜʉ̯.nʲɜ spɛ̝ɪ̯n ˈjʏː.ɹəʔp

Re: What do you call this?

Post by ol bofosh »

ObsequiousNewt wrote:
Rhetorica wrote:"Lithe" is the traditional, unambiguous and non-euphemistic term, I'm pretty sure.

I always had the impression that was more like "slender".


Yeah, me too. Like someone that has very little gravity of their own and just floats around like a cloud.
It was about time I changed this.

User avatar
Shrdlu
Avisaru
Avisaru
Posts: 485
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2011 12:29 pm
Location: hinter schwedischen Gardinen

Re: What do you call this?

Post by Shrdlu »

Slickepot in Swedish. It's slicka lick with a binding e and then pot which probably used to mean something else but now has fused with the other word.
If I stop posting out of the blue it probably is because my computer and the board won't cooperate and let me log in.!

Post Reply