[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
zompist bboard • View topic - What do you call this?

zompist bboard

THIS IS AN ARCHIVE ONLY - see Ephemera
It is currently Mon Jan 20, 2020 3:47 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 303 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 13  Next
PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:11 pm 
Avisaru
Avisaru

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 2:57 am 
Smeric
Smeric

Location: tʰæ.ɹʷˠə.ˈgɜʉ̯.nɜ kʰæ.tə.ˈlɜʉ̯.nʲɜ spɛ̝ɪ̯n ˈjʏː.ɹəʔp
I've only seen lithe written, and never really heard it, so I've lacked a context to show me exactly what it is. It was just an archaic word for slender. And until the other day when I looked in Wiktionary I always imagined it to be pronounced /li:T/.

Edit: and buxom I don't assosiate with the general figure, just the size of the breasts.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:46 am 
Avisaru
Avisaru

Ο ορανς τα ανα̨ριθομον ϝερρον εͱεν ανθροποτροφον.
Το̨ ανθροπς αυ̨τ εκψον επ αθο̨ οραναμο̨ϝον.
Θαιν. Θαιν. Θαιν. Θαιν. Θαιν. Θαιν. Θαιν.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:29 pm 
Sanno
Sanno

I've been getting some fun replies to this elsewhere, so I'm curious to hear y'all's responses:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:47 pm 
Avisaru
Avisaru

Wardrobe. I had to look at a bit to make sure it wasn't a designer side by side fridge and freezer combo.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:00 pm 
Smeric
Smeric

It kind of reminds me of...one of those pantries that you...build yourself from pieces that are provided to you? My brother has one of those. I'm not sure how to describe it.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:03 pm 
Smeric
Smeric

If it's in a bedroom it's a wardrobe, anywhere else it's a cupboard (and that was my first reaction to seeing it, too)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:06 am 
Sanno
Sanno

I would assume it's a wardrobe. It might perhaps be a full-length cupboard, but those aren't very common. It could be built-in fridges, freezers, or other household appliances. I can't think of any other possible names. Except that there are some functions that might override its form - if you keep guns or ammunition belts in it, it might be a gun locker or a magazine? If it were in the changing room at a stadium, I might call it a locker, even if it doesn't lock, just on the basis that it would be taking the role traditionally filled by a locker?

But the river tripped on her by and by, lapping
as though her heart was brook: Why, why, why! Weh, O weh
I'se so silly to be flowing but I no canna stay!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:32 am 
Avisaru
Avisaru

First word into my head, before I read anything you said, was cabinet. Then I thought of pantry (I typically think of pantry as a specific room/closet, but if this thing was in a kitchen and food was stored in it, I could still call it a pantry--my parents' house is like this, and their cabinetry looks fairly similar to that picture, which is probably why I thought of this so quickly).

Interestingly enough, plain ol' "cupboard" didn't occur to me until I read Kath and Sal's posts.

I would not call it a "wardrobe"; to me, that implies a piece of furniture with legs that is detached from the wall that you could move around and such. (also, "wardrobe" always makes me think of Chronicles of Narnia anyway) If it were in someone's bedroom and they stored clothes in it, I suppose I might call it a "closet".

I generally forget to say, so if it's relevant and I don't mention it--I'm from Southern Michigan and speak Inland North American English. Yes, I have the Northern Cities Vowel Shift; no, I don't have the cot-caught merger; and it is called pop.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:57 pm 
Smeric
Smeric

I honestly feel like half the problem with that thing is knowing what the hell it is. Like, what is it for? Is it for storing clothes, food, papers, or what?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:09 pm 
Sumerul
Sumerul

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:41 pm 
Smeric
Smeric

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:36 am 
Smeric
Smeric

If we don't study the mistakes of the future we're doomed to repeat them for the first time.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:47 pm 
Sanno
Sanno

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:20 pm 
Smeric
Smeric

I mean, I guess on some level, it's basically a box. :P We just wouldn't really call it that.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:37 pm 
Smeric
Smeric

It's not a box! Boxes are made of paper, are less durable and give significantly worse access to the items, if you want to put them in and take them out frequently!

And boxes made of wood are not boxes, but crates, and they are only ever used in Worms.

If what I just wrote sounds weird to you, that's basically how the last few posts here sound to me.

If we don't study the mistakes of the future we're doomed to repeat them for the first time.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:40 pm 
Smeric
Smeric

Okay, I'm gonna have to ask you what these wooden crates in Worms are.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:56 pm 
Smeric
Smeric

Well, crates? Wooden containers with some useful things in them?

Another question: how would you call this thing?

(Let's suppose I've already put all my in a wardrobe/cabinet/cupboard and I want to store food in this one.)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:17 pm 
Sanno
Sanno

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:20 pm 
Smeric
Smeric

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:29 pm 
Sanno
Sanno

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:53 pm 
Smeric
Smeric

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:00 pm 
Smeric
Smeric

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:02 pm 
Smeric
Smeric

NOOOOoooo

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:15 pm 
Smeric
Smeric

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 303 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 13  Next