Linguistic resources you wish actually existed

Discussion of natural languages, or language in general.
Yng
Avisaru
Avisaru

Re: Linguistic resources you wish actually existed

Post by Yng »

Viktor77 wrote:
YngNghymru wrote:If Even is the same as Evenki, incidentally, I have a grammar. In English.
It is of the same family, Northern Tungusic, but not the same language.
Are they actually that different?
كان يا ما كان / يا صمت العشية / قمري هاجر في الصبح بعيدا / في العيون العسلية

tà yi póbo tsùtsùr ciivà dè!

short texts in Cuhbi

Risha Cuhbi grammar

Jetboy
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Jetboy »

What I would find quite nice would be translations into more modern English of English texts written before, shall we say, 1900; having read Studies in Words over the summer, today's session with The Scarlet Letter left me feeling like I was probably misreading huge swathes of text.
"A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort."
–Herm Albright
Even better than a proto-conlang, it's the *kondn̥ǵʰwéh₂s

TaylorS
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by TaylorS »

Jetboy wrote:What I would find quite nice would be translations into more modern English of English texts written before, shall we say, 1900; having read Studies in Words over the summer, today's session with The Scarlet Letter left me feeling like I was probably misreading huge swathes of text.
I generally have no problem reading anything written after 1750, but that could be because I have a very large vocabulary.

Mecislau
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Mecislau »

Viktor77 wrote:An English grammar and reader of the Even language complete with recordings.
I'm 90% sure I do have a grammar outline (~40 pages) of Even in English (and 100% sure of one in Russian), but I won't be able to give it to you until I get my laptop back from the shop...

Eyowa
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Eyowa »

Darkgamma wrote:
Eyowa wrote:Oh, and I want a grammar of Pirahã.
I actually have that somewhere.
Do you recall who it's by? Or what the title is? I've searched for "Pirahã Grammar" but all I've found is Everett's "Cultural Constraints on Grammar and Cognition in Pirahã" and Don't Sleep, There are Snakes.

But what I really want is the (purely hypothetical) best possible description of Pirahã, not Everett's description. I guess I can dream... :?
/"e.joU.wV/
faiuwle wrote:
Torco wrote:yeah, I speak in photosynthetic Spanish
Sounds like it belongs in the linguistics garden next to the germinating nasals.

tezcatlip0ca
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by tezcatlip0ca »

TaylorS wrote:
Jetboy wrote:What I would find quite nice would be translations into more modern English of English texts written before, shall we say, 1900; having read Studies in Words over the summer, today's session with The Scarlet Letter left me feeling like I was probably misreading huge swathes of text.
I generally have no problem reading anything written after 1750, but that could be because I have a very large vocabulary.
Seconded.
The Conlanger Formerly Known As Aiďos

Gulliver
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Gulliver »

A collection of shot English recordings in different dialects which don't require you to use them in their entirety because the owner is a jobsworthy douche. I just want to isolate one or two sentences… but no, they "don't allow that kind of editing".

How hard does it have to be to find one or two sentence recordings?

Jetboy
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Jetboy »

Aiďos wrote:
TaylorS wrote:
Seconded.
No, I can too, but I notice that I ignore some words completely because I don't see how they fit into the text and it makes sense without them, and I'm probably reading things into words that wouldn't have been read in by a contemporary audience, and vice versa.
"A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort."
–Herm Albright
Even better than a proto-conlang, it's the *kondn̥ǵʰwéh₂s

Ser
Smeric
Smeric
Location: Vancouver, British Columbia / Colombie Britannique, Canada

Post by Ser »

Gulliver wrote:A collection of shot English recordings in different dialects which don't require you to use them in their entirety because the owner is a jobsworthy douche. I just want to isolate one or two sentences… but no, they "don't allow that kind of editing".

Have you tried asking for them at linguistics forums? ¬¬ (The ZBB, the CBB, Unilang, Omniglot, lingforum... maybe even the CONLANG list.)

Skomakar'n
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Skomakar'n »

A verb appendix for Modern Greek, showing all inflections of all irregular or slightly irregular verbs.
Online dictionary for my conlang Vanga: http://royalrailway.com/tungumaalMiin/Vanga/

#undef FEMALE

I'd love for you to try my game out! Here's the forum thread about it:
http://zbb.spinnwebe.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=36688

Of an Ernst'ian one.

hadad
Niš
Niš

Post by hadad »

Something that show's the tendacies of certain sounds to evolve into other sounds, and not just sound change laws in PIE.

Something on PUralic, PKartvelian, and PAfrasian. I know the previous two lines probably exist already, I just haven't happened accrossed them yet. I'm still a noob.

A dictionary of every root and affix of every proto language and ancient isolates like Elamite, Urartian, and Sumerian.

Something in english about Hattian and Urartian grammar. I didn't plan on taking Russian, until I wanted to find linguistic resources for Urartian. Luckily I needed a slavic language and am as big into linguistics as I am. i've got alot of my plate. I'm still hammerinng out spanish, japanese, and Sumerian.

Gulliver
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Gulliver »

Serafín wrote:
Gulliver wrote:A collection of shot English recordings in different dialects which don't require you to use them in their entirety because the owner is a jobsworthy douche. I just want to isolate one or two sentences… but no, they "don't allow that kind of editing".

Have you tried asking for them at linguistics forums? ¬¬ (The ZBB, the CBB, Unilang, Omniglot, lingforum... maybe even the CONLANG list.)
I asked around here actually, and a few other forums… and got one response.

BUT if anyone would like to help me…

It will take a whole two minutes. All I want you to do is record yourself (on your phone or computer) answering the following questions:

How old are you?
Where are you from?
Where do you live now?
What's your party trick? (I can lick my elbow, etc)
What's the silliest way you've ever hurt/injured yourself? (I put my back out dancing around the bathroom etc)
Have any of your relatives done anything weird or wonderful? (My brother was in a Bollywood film)

And then email me the recording gogogulliver (à) gmail.com.

Terra
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Terra »

I want an absolute, final, definitive, and complete grammar of Sindarin. Sometimes I want to walk to beat Tolkien's bones out of frustration of his whimsicality and capriciousness.

Herr Dunkel
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Herr Dunkel »

Eyowa wrote:
Darkgamma wrote:
Eyowa wrote:Oh, and I want a grammar of Pirahã.
I actually have that somewhere.
Do you recall who it's by? Or what the title is? I've searched for "Pirahã Grammar" but all I've found is Everett's "Cultural Constraints on Grammar and Cognition in Pirahã" and Don't Sleep, There are Snakes.

But what I really want is the (purely hypothetical) best possible description of Pirahã, not Everett's description. I guess I can dream... :?
Actually, I think I have a PDF but I don't know where I put it. It's very fleshy, 400+ pages with cultural and grammatical info together.
sano wrote:
To my dearest Darkgamma,
http://www.dazzlejunction.com/greetings/thanks/thank-you-bear.gif
Sincerely,
sano

Hwunitum
Niš
Niš

Post by Hwunitum »

sucaeyl wrote:Good Nahuatl sources: dictionary, grammer, thesaurus and etymology
J. Richard Andrewsʻs grammar is good although a tad confusingly written.

äreo
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by äreo »

Sound changes to Nauruan and Marshallese from Proto-Austronesian

Ascima mresa óscsma sáca psta numar cemea.
Cemea tae neasc ctá ms co ísbas Ascima.
Carho. Carho. Carho. Carho. Carho. Carho. Carho.

Nannalu
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Nannalu »

A complete grammar of Palauan,
A cheap version of Ket grammar,
A book on the philosophy and complete grammar of Ithkuil,
Grammar of Yucatec Maya*

Ser
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Ser »

Nannalu wrote:Grammar of Yucatec Maya*

ná'oolkiłí
Lebom
Lebom

Post by ná'oolkiłí »

Nannalu wrote:A cheap version of Ket grammar
I'm almost done with Stephan Georg's Descriptive Grammar of Ket (from my library, so free). It's not very well written (organization is lacking, even the juiciest morphological peculiarities are presented very dryly), but it has given me a lot of conlanging ideas. What's your interest in Ket?

Skomakar'n
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Skomakar'n »

Skomakar'n wrote:A verb appendix for Modern Greek, showing all inflections of all irregular or slightly irregular verbs.
I guess I could follow up on this by saying that I would really like someone to set up a Modern Greek section at Verbix.
I'd be happy to fill in the verbs I know myself, if that would yield the interest for others to fill in the rest for me...
Online dictionary for my conlang Vanga: http://royalrailway.com/tungumaalMiin/Vanga/

#undef FEMALE

I'd love for you to try my game out! Here's the forum thread about it:
http://zbb.spinnwebe.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=36688

Of an Ernst'ian one.

Ser
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Ser »

Same for Arabic.

There's absolutely no good online verb conjugator.

Bunnycatch3r
Niš
Niš

Post by Bunnycatch3r »

A site like boardgamegeek.com for conlanguages. Ideally, this would be a place where conlangs are discussed, reviewed, given a ranking, and awarded.

MisterBernie
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by MisterBernie »

Bunnycatch3r wrote: Ideally, this would be a place where conlangs are discussed, reviewed, given a ranking, and awarded.
How could that go wrong!
Constructed Voices - Another conlanging/conworlding blog.
Latest post: Joyful Birth of the Oiled One

Bunnycatch3r
Niš
Niš

Post by Bunnycatch3r »

MisterBernie wrote:
Bunnycatch3r wrote: Ideally, this would be a place where conlangs are discussed, reviewed, given a ranking, and awarded.
How could that go wrong!
Ok, the ranking part is a bit much. I like how board games are ranked for different categories over at bgg and thought it might be interesting to see something like that take place with languages. However, it is time that languages are evaluated for recognition~ something akin to the Nebula, the Spiel Des Jahres, or The Golden Globe.
Last edited by Bunnycatch3r on Sun Oct 02, 2011 7:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

jmcd
Smeric
Smeric

Post by jmcd »

They do kind of get evaluated - there are the ZBB Awards at the end of the year.