Ongoing sound change?

Discussion of natural languages, or language in general.
dhok
Avisaru
Avisaru

Ongoing sound change?

Post by dhok »

My (GenAm, more or less) affricates tʃ and dʒ are turning into ʃ and ʒ, respectively. tʃ>ʃ is far less common in my speech, but I very rarely have dʒ anymore- it's all fricativised.

Is that true for anybody else?

cromulant
Avisaru
Avisaru

Re: Ongoing sound change?

Post by cromulant »

It's false for me, but I am evolving initial [ts] instead of "it's". e.g. 'tsmy life, dad, fuck off!'

Aurora Rossa
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Aurora Rossa »

Where do you live, Dhokarena?
"There was a particular car I soon came to think of as distinctly St. Louis-ish: a gigantic white S.U.V. with a W. bumper sticker on it for George W. Bush."

Ziz
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Ziz »

dhokarena56 wrote:My (GenAm, more or less) affricates tʃ and dʒ are turning into ʃ and ʒ, respectively. tʃ>ʃ is far less common in my speech, but I very rarely have dʒ anymore- it's all fricativised.

I don't have that.
cromulant wrote:It's false for me, but I am evolving initial [ts] instead of "it's". e.g. 'tsmy life, dad, fuck off!'

But I do have this. And a bunch of other, non-Englishy initial clusters like it.

I also have lenition of and [ɡ] to [β̞] and [ɰ] in some circumstances. For instance, laboratory and wiggle are [ˈlæβ̞ɹətɔɹi] and [ˈwɪɰl̩] but abort and ago are [əˈb̥ɔɹt̚] and [əˈɡ̥ʌʊ].

Herr Dunkel
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Herr Dunkel »

I have an ongoing change that added a new affricate into me language: a voicing assimilation [ts] > [dz]\ __Cv; where Cv is voiced obstruent.
sano wrote:
To my dearest Darkgamma,
http://www.dazzlejunction.com/greetings/thanks/thank-you-bear.gif
Sincerely,
sano

TaylorS
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by TaylorS »

I have the first stages of the NCVS, so:
stressed /æ/ > [ɛə̯]
unstressed /æ/ > [ɛ]
/ɜ/ > [ʌ]
/ɑ/ > [a]

I lentiate intervocalic /b/ and /g/ into [β] and [ɣ]

Intervocalic unstressed onset /p k/ >

Coda /st sts/ and /zd zdz/ > /sː/ and /zː/

/str/, /tr/, and /dr/ > /ʃr/, /ʧr/, and /ʤr/

/k/ and /ɡ/ are realized as uvular when adjacent to /r/
Last edited by TaylorS on Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Okuno
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Okuno »

I have the /ts/ prefix, but my /tʃ dʒ/ is just fine and stable. Well, except that I do them postalveolar, but until recently I thought that was the norm

I did notice today when I said /θæŋks/ as [tæŋks], not to be confused with [thæŋks], those things that move around with massive guns. After some more experiments, I may be able to put down /θ/ > [t] / #_ in my list of ideo-allophones.

EDIT: whoah, /str/ > [ʃr]? I have /tr dr/ > [tʃr dʒr], but not that first one. How did that even develop? I guess I shouldn't whine, considering my (un)aspiration crap.
My Conlang Site which pretty much only has Tayéin.
Still under construction, but at least I did some photoshop.

Amuere
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Amuere »

dhokarena56 wrote:My (GenAm, more or less) affricates tʃ and dʒ are turning into ʃ and ʒ, respectively. tʃ>ʃ is far less common in my speech, but I very rarely have dʒ anymore- it's all fricativised.

I have fricativation of [tʃ] and [dʒ] too, in casual speech. For me it happens about even for both. I'm pretty sure I pronounce both [ɪ] and [ə] as [ɛ] because in rapid casual speech I have [ɛn] for "an" and [ɛbaut] for "about", [ɛt] for "it", [ɛs] for "is", but oddly [ɪs] for "it's".

That last example goes into something else I've noticed in my casual speech, [ts] changes [s] in contractions...for me "what's" is [wʌs], "that's" is [ðæs] , and "let's" is [lɛs].

Also, my speech is nasalization city so a good amount of strangers find me hard to understand......helps me with the French and Portuguese though! :wink:
Tjalehu ge frulehu, tjea ale stjindamihu? Dime sfraiaknanmi.

Economic: -7.33
Social: 0.31

Nortaneous
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Nortaneous »

Anyone else have /o/ :> [ɤ] in certain environments? (I think after labiodentals and /r/)
cromulant wrote:It's false for me, but I am evolving initial [ts] instead of "it's". e.g. 'tsmy life, dad, fuck off!'

[ts]~[s], although initial /s/ seems to vary with [ts] sometimes for me.
Okuno wrote:I did notice today when I said /θæŋks/ as [tæŋks], not to be confused with [thæŋks], those things that move around with massive guns. After some more experiments, I may be able to put down /θ/ > [t] / #_ in my list of ideo-allophones.
Is it really alveolar, or is it interdental?
EDIT: whoah, /str/ > [ʃr]? I have /tr dr/ > [tʃr dʒr], but not that first one. How did that even develop? I guess I shouldn't whine, considering my (un)aspiration crap.
[ʃtr], then weird lenition shit in /st/ clusters.
Amuere wrote:That last example goes into something else I've noticed in my casual speech, [ts] changes [s] in contractions...for me "what's" is [wʌs], "that's" is [ðæs] , and "let's" is [lɛs].
This can happen for me also, as can dropping of initial /ð/.
Siöö jandeng raiglin zåbei tandiüłåd;
nää džunnfin kukuch vklaivei sivei tåd.
Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei.

äreo
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by äreo »

in my English:
-ts-prefix for it's
-[ts] > [s] in that's, let's, it's, what's
-elision of initial /ð/
-/ʊ/ is generally [ɤ] (this is one the few vowels that seems to stay in about the same spot no matter who I'm around)
-intervocalic unstressed onset /k/ > [g]
-/θ/ is occasionally [f], especially finally
-I've noticed I sometimes say [sʷɪm] for swim
-final plosives are often ejectives
-near-affrication of aspirated plosives

Ascima mresa óscsma sáca psta numar cemea.
Cemea tae neasc ctá ms co ísbas Ascima.
Carho. Carho. Carho. Carho. Carho. Carho. Carho.

dhok
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by dhok »

Eddy wrote:Where do you live, Dhokarena?
The Pittsburgh area; I'll try and see if my friends have that change today, but in the meantime, let's wait for Bristel to show up.

hwhatting
Smeric
Smeric

Post by hwhatting »

Your development would be another example for voiced affricates de-affricating faster than unvoiced affricates. A classical example for that development is Slavic - Balto-Slavic *k before front vowel became /t_S/ or /t_C/ in the Modern Slavic languages, while *g in the same position became /Z/.

Travis B.
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Travis B. »

God there is so much I could go over here, yet again, but I don't want to turn this into a Travis's Weird Dialect thread.*

Now, that said, one thing that one ought to always remember with these kinds of things is to beware false newness, the bane of any looking for non-standard forms in human languages. Just because something is nonstandard as a form does not mean, by any means, that it is necessarily new.

* I should probably just write a grammar of it, at least relative to Standard English, so I can just drop a link to a PDF or a Wiki here when this kind of thread inevitably pops up...
Last edited by Travis B. on Thu Sep 15, 2011 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dibotahamdn duthma jallni agaynni ra hgitn lakrhmi.
Amuhawr jalla vowa vta hlakrhi hdm duthmi xaja.
Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro.

Travis B.
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Travis B. »

hwhatting wrote:
Your development would be another example for voiced affricates de-affricating faster than unvoiced affricates. A classical example for that development is Slavic - Balto-Slavic *k before front vowel became /t_S/ or /t_C/ in the Modern Slavic languages, while *g in the same position became /Z/.
That does, in another way, remind me of how /dʒ/ in at least some dialects in the Upper Midwest has become unconditionally devoiced, so as to always contrast with /tʃ/ only based on aspiration, time stopped, strength of release, preglottalization, (in many but not all dialects) preceding vowel length, and sometimes is further merged than that, e.g. only having preglottalization and (in many but not all dialects) preceding vowel length distinguish the two. This is even though said dialects usually at least maintain some sort of conditional or optional voicing of all other lenis plosives, with voicing being lost altogether only in the case of /dʒ/.

Aurora Rossa
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Aurora Rossa »

dhokarena56 wrote:
The Pittsburgh area; I'll try and see if my friends have that change today, but in the meantime, let's wait for Bristel to show up.
I see then. Hasn't that area historically had something of a unique dialect?
"There was a particular car I soon came to think of as distinctly St. Louis-ish: a gigantic white S.U.V. with a W. bumper sticker on it for George W. Bush."

TaylorS
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by TaylorS »

Okuno wrote:I have the /ts/ prefix, but my /tʃ dʒ/ is just fine and stable. Well, except that I do them postalveolar, but until recently I thought that was the norm

I did notice today when I said /θæŋks/ as [tæŋks], not to be confused with [thæŋks], those things that move around with massive guns. After some more experiments, I may be able to put down /θ/ > [t] / #_ in my list of ideo-allophones.

[stɹˤ] > [sʧɹˤ] > [ʃʧɹˤ] > [ʃɹˤ]

TaylorS
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by TaylorS »

Amuere wrote:

I have fricativation of [tʃ] and [dʒ] too, in casual speech. For me it happens about even for both. I'm pretty sure I pronounce both [ɪ] and [ə] as [ɛ] because in rapid casual speech I have [ɛn] for "an" and [ɛbaut] for "about", [ɛt] for "it", [ɛs] for "is", but oddly [ɪs] for "it's".

That last example goes into something else I've noticed in my casual speech, [ts] changes [s] in contractions...for me "what's" is [wʌs], "that's" is [ðæs] , and "let's" is [lɛs].

Also, my speech is nasalization city so a good amount of strangers find me hard to understand......helps me with the French and Portuguese though! :wink:
What's up > wassap? :mrgreen:

äreo
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by äreo »

Hmm, I generally just have [sɐp].

Ascima mresa óscsma sáca psta numar cemea.
Cemea tae neasc ctá ms co ísbas Ascima.
Carho. Carho. Carho. Carho. Carho. Carho. Carho.

TaylorS
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by TaylorS »

Travis B. wrote:
hwhatting wrote:
That does, in another way, remind me of how /dʒ/ in at least some dialects in the Upper Midwest has become unconditionally devoiced, so as to always contrast with /tʃ/ only based on aspiration, time stopped, strength of release, preglottalization, (in many but not all dialects) preceding vowel length, and sometimes is further merged than that, e.g. only having preglottalization and (in many but not all dialects) preceding vowel length distinguish the two. This is even though said dialects usually at least maintain some sort of conditional or optional voicing of all other lenis plosives, with voicing being lost altogether only in the case of /dʒ/.
Yeah, final /dʒ/ is always devoiced for me, so "garbage" is [ˈɡ̥ɑʁˤbɨ̞ʧ]

Amuere
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Amuere »

TaylorS wrote:
Amuere wrote:

What's up > wassap? :mrgreen:
Lol, pretty much, but like Areo said I usually shorten it to just "sup".
Tjalehu ge frulehu, tjea ale stjindamihu? Dime sfraiaknanmi.

Economic: -7.33
Social: 0.31

Travis B.
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Travis B. »

TaylorS wrote:
Travis B. wrote:That does, in another way, remind me of how /dʒ/ in at least some dialects in the Upper Midwest has become unconditionally devoiced, so as to always contrast with /tʃ/ only based on aspiration, time stopped, strength of release, preglottalization, (in many but not all dialects) preceding vowel length, and sometimes is further merged than that, e.g. only having preglottalization and (in many but not all dialects) preceding vowel length distinguish the two. This is even though said dialects usually at least maintain some sort of conditional or optional voicing of all other lenis plosives, with voicing being lost altogether only in the case of /dʒ/.
Yeah, final /dʒ/ is always devoiced for me, so "garbage" is [ˈɡ̥ɑʁˤbɨ̞ʧ]
I actually was not merely referring to final devoicing but rather unconditional devoicing in all positions. (I do have final fortition like you describe there in addition, but that is a matter of actually being realized like a fortis consonant finally aside from not affecting vowel length and not gaining preglottalization.)

Travis B.
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Travis B. »

On that note, as this thread does seem to be slowing down, I might as well post interesting stuff that I've found more recently IMD anyways now.

Probably the most interesting bit I have found recently is that specifically everyday speech, there is a lenition without neither voicing nor frication of unstressed intervocalic /p/, /tʃ/, and /k/ in unstressed intervocalic positions that seems to actually be far more consistent than I had previously assumed. This combines with that in the same register /b/, /dʒ/, and /ɡ/ are also voiceless lenis in this same position, likewise far more consistently than I had previously assumed. Also, /p/, /tʃ/, and /k/ do not induce preglottalization here either.

The result is essentially a pure vowel length contrast between /b/, /dʒ/, and /ɡ/ and /p/, /tʃ/, and /k/ here in everyday speech, to the point that in a narrow analysis that treated vowel length, except in morpheme-final syllables without obstruents in their coda, as phonemic would likewise treat these two sets as merging in morpheme-medial unstressed intervocalic positions.

I would still probably not use such an analysis, though, as high registers much more clearly distinguish the two sets in that position, both through the voicing of the lenis set and through less lenition of the fortis set.

(I should note that this does vary heavily depending on the exact dialect in use, e.g. my ex seems to have far less of this than people from back in the suburb where I grew up, where I heard a lot of this when I listened for it.)

On another note, one thing I noticed is that final /n/ tends to be elided more than I had thought before my dialect; it had seemed to be primarily an intervocalic thing, but rather from paying attention to things closely since then, it seems to be sporadically to very frequently, depending on register, elided finally regardless of what follows it or even utterance-finally. My parents, for instance, do seem to not infrequently drop it finally, albeit not as much as I catch myself doing. It does seem to be somewhat lexicalized, as this seems to happen much more with grammar words and with effectively-grammatical constructions than with content words, as far as I have noticed so far. (I for instance drop final /n/ extremely frequently for can, in, than, kind, and like compared to normal content words.)

roninbodhisattva
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by roninbodhisattva »

dhokarena56 wrote:
Do you have positive anymore? I find that to be a really exciting thing about Pittsburgh.

Bristel
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Bristel »

dhokarena56 wrote:
Nooo, I refuse to show up when mentioned. :evil:

Wait... :(

Well, I wasn't born in Picksbird, so I only know of the most heinous accent markers here.

The most obvious would be [dɑn.tɑn] for <downtown>. So, I guess some of the vowels have coalesced.
[bɹ̠ˤʷɪs.təɫ]
Nōn quālibet inīquā cupiditāte illectus hoc agō
Yo te pongo en tu lugar...
Taisc mach Daró

TaylorS
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by TaylorS »

roninbodhisattva wrote:
dhokarena56 wrote:
Do you have positive anymore? I find that to be a really exciting thing about Pittsburgh.
I have positive "anymore" in a restricted range, mostly questions.

"Does he do that anymore?"