Any Czech learners/speakers here?

Discussion of natural languages, or language in general.
lctrgzmn
Sanci
Sanci

Any Czech learners/speakers here?

Post by lctrgzmn »

Well, considering I'm rather serious about Czech, I do think it'd be a pretty beneficial thing for me (and any other conlangers who are learning Czech) to practice together. Or if you're a native, I'd also be down with that :D

If I don't get an internship at my dad's place next summer, there's a high possibility that I'll be going to the Czech Republic, and I'll be damned if I go there and am not able to communicate in Czech -_-

Anyway, to wrap this up, I'm pretty much asking to talk to some people who are also learning Czech/who already speak Czech. It could be a rather interesting experience, myslím!

-Lictor

Viktor77
Sumerul
Sumerul

Re: Any Czech learners/speakers here?

Post by Viktor77 »

I have and continue to neglect it. But I had 3 Czechs live with me who I still communicate with and have plenty of resources if you need to know anything pressing.
Falgwian and Falgwia!!

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur.

lctrgzmn
Sanci
Sanci

Post by lctrgzmn »

I've got a Czech family friend, but now that I'm old and she's old we hardly ever talk anymore. Such is life.

But if you ever get back into it, hit me up~ Oh, and will do.

Gojera
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Gojera »

I studied it a bit before a month-long trip there a decade ago. My sister's going there next month, and Czech is a lot of fun, so I was thinking about taking it up again. But I suspect I should be studying Russian instead. =/

linguoboy
Sanno
Sanno

Post by linguoboy »

Back in college, I mentioned to one of my linguistics professors my desire to pick up some Czech and he told me, "Don't learn Czech; the vowels are a disaster!"

I did do some self-study for a bit, but since then I've become more interested in Polish.

lctrgzmn
Sanci
Sanci

Post by lctrgzmn »

linguoboy wrote:"Don't learn Czech; the vowels are a disaster!".
... lolwut.

Cathbad
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Cathbad »

My great-grandfather was Czech, and he used to bring me loads of Czech books when he visited - really random books about keeping tropical fish, etc. :? I didn't manage to learn any of the language from that though. I still have some of the books lying around at home I think, but I doubt they'd be of any use of you. Unless of course you plan to set up an aquarium in the Czech Republic, which I seriously doubt.

There's also a bad and mean "joke" about Czech people, supposedly told by the Poles as well as my great-grandmother on my grandmother's side (my Czech great-grandad was on my grandfather's side), which kind of compared the Czechs to Mongols (or Huns?), although the "salt" involved in it is rather more, ummm, dissolved.

äreo
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by äreo »

I want to learn Czech at some point because I have Czech family, but I don't have time right now.

Ascima mresa óscsma sáca psta numar cemea.
Cemea tae neasc ctá ms co ísbas Ascima.
Carho. Carho. Carho. Carho. Carho. Carho. Carho.

linguoboy
Sanno
Sanno

Post by linguoboy »

lctrgzmn wrote:
... lolwut.
He was speaking from a diachronic point of view, naturally. If you want to learn a Slavic language which will help you to understand historical developments within the wider family, Czech is not your best choice.

lctrgzmn
Sanci
Sanci

Post by lctrgzmn »

I was about to say... If anything, Czech's vowels are depressingly simple.

linguoboy
Sanno
Sanno

Post by linguoboy »

lctrgzmn wrote:I was about to say... If anything, Czech's vowels are depressingly simple.
Don't be deceived by the simplifications of the official orthography!

Viktor77
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Viktor77 »

linguoboy wrote:
lctrgzmn wrote:I was about to say... If anything, Czech's vowels are depressingly simple.
I lol'd.
Falgwian and Falgwia!!

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur.

lctrgzmn
Sanci
Sanci

Post by lctrgzmn »

linguoboy wrote:
I'm not, lol. I know some dialects change certain vowel sounds (like some users pronounce the -ý in adjectives as -ej), but overall the general vowel inventory isn't as insane as... say Russian, or Swedish (or English).

linguoboy
Sanno
Sanno

Post by linguoboy »

lctrgzmn wrote:I'm not, lol. I know some dialects change certain vowel sounds (like some users pronounce the -ý in adjectives as -ej), but overall the general vowel inventory isn't as insane as... say Russian, or Swedish (or English).
LOLwhut?

Russian has a total of five vowel phonemes. No phonemic length, although there is vowel reduction. Frankly that's much easier for English-speakers to master than the Czech feature of having phonetically long vowels in unstressed position.

lctrgzmn
Sanci
Sanci

Post by lctrgzmn »

You think so? I find the vowel lengthening to be easier than the vowel reduction in Russian, but that's just me, I guess.

Io
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Io »

I too loled but my interpretation was of Czech having no vowels, of course not literally, I mean the consonant clusters.

lctrgzmn
Sanci
Sanci

Post by lctrgzmn »

Io wrote:I too loled but my interpretation was of Czech having no vowels, of course not literally, I mean the consonant clusters.
Strč prst skrz krk.
Plch pln skvrn prch skrz drn prv zhlt čtvrt hrst zrn.

Teehehehehe. My favorite is the word for "icecream", "zmrzlina."

Mám rád zmrzlinu!
Last edited by lctrgzmn on Fri Sep 23, 2011 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Niedokonany
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Niedokonany »

linguoboy wrote:
lctrgzmn wrote:
... lolwut.
He was speaking from a diachronic point of view, naturally. If you want to learn a Slavic language which will help you to understand historical developments within the wider family, Czech is not your best choice.
Well, the vowel changes after palatal(ized) consonants have wrought havoc in some morphology (those adjectives where every ending seems to be -í), but I don't think it even compares to Polabian :)
lctrgzmn wrote:My favorite is the world for "icecream", "zmrzlina."
Accidentally, zmarzlina means 'permafrost' in pl...
uciekajcie od światów konających

alice
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by alice »

Xiądz Faust wrote:Accidentally, zmarzlina means 'permafrost' in pl...
The historian Norman Davies recalled the problems he had learning Czech after Polish; apparently the word for "east" or "west" in one is the same as the word for "toilet" in the other.
Zompist's Markov generator wrote:it was labelled" orange marmalade," but that is unutterably hideous.

Niedokonany
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Niedokonany »

Marion Blancard wrote:
Xiądz Faust wrote:Accidentally, zmarzlina means 'permafrost' in pl...
The historian Norman Davies recalled the problems he had learning Czech after Polish; apparently the word for "east" or "west" in one is the same as the word for "toilet" in the other.
Polish zachód ["zaxut] "west" and Czech záchod ["za:xot] "toilet", not quite the same but similar (formed in a fully analogous manner). A similar Polish derivation with a similar meaning is wychodek "outhouse".

We can boast other colourful false friends, e.g.: odbyt (pl "anus", cs "sales, market (for a product)"), napad/nápad (pl "fit", cs "idea").
Cathbad wrote:There's also a bad and mean "joke" about Czech people, supposedly told by the Poles as well as my great-grandmother on my grandmother's side (my Czech great-grandad was on my grandfather's side), which kind of compared the Czechs to Mongols (or Huns?), although the "salt" involved in it is rather more, ummm, dissolved.
So what's the joke?
uciekajcie od światów konających