The humour of similar-sounding words

Discussion of natural languages, or language in general.
Skomakar'n
Smeric
Smeric

Re: The humour of similar-sounding words

Post by Skomakar'n »

TomHChappell wrote:Somebody needs to mention "un petit d'un petit, s'etonnent aux Halles" here.
Please do.
Online dictionary for my conlang Vanga: http://royalrailway.com/tungumaalMiin/Vanga/

#undef FEMALE

I'd love for you to try my game out! Here's the forum thread about it:
http://zbb.spinnwebe.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=36688

Of an Ernst'ian one.

Soap
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Soap »

Sunàqʷa the Sea Lamprey says:

maıráí
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by maıráí »

My Arabic class had lots of fun with mahbubi.

jmcd
Smeric
Smeric

Post by jmcd »

Chibi wrote:
MisterBernie wrote:What, no megapussi and minipussi yet?
Reminds me of Bimbo
And that reminds of Cock Block.

Nannalu
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Nannalu »

There's a canal near me called the "Fossdyke" and it just reminds me of big furry lesbians.
næn:älʉː

Simmalti
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Simmalti »

"Boss" in maltese is an imperative form meaning "Fart!"

And someone from this board who came to Malta this summer pointed out "titfix" to me, which means "Do not switch off"
(The plural of which is even worse - "titfux")

Chuma
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Chuma »

When all the cities in Sweden started getting webpages, and they were not able to use åäö in the addresses, some of the cities were very unhappy about the result, including höör (originally means something like "stone altar", I'm guessing it might be related to "heap") and mönsterås ("pattern ridge"). There is a Swedish word as, pronounced like non-rhotic "arse", but is means "cadaver". Also not very pleasant.

Shrdlu
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Shrdlu »

There was an radio-show called språket(the language), which had an webpage with, because of the åäö-restriction, the address spraket (the crackle)
If I stop posting out of the blue it probably is because my computer and the board won't cooperate and let me log in.!

Skomakar'n
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Skomakar'n »

Chuma wrote:When all the cities in Sweden started getting webpages, and they were not able to use åäö in the addresses, some of the cities were very unhappy about the result, including höör (originally means something like "stone altar", I'm guessing it might be related to "heap") and mönsterås ("pattern ridge"). There is a Swedish word as, pronounced like non-rhotic "arse", but is means "cadaver". Also not very pleasant.
Fucking stupid, stubborn Swedes. Why couldn't they just use <ae oe aa> like Denmark and Norway (and Germany, except, of course, for <aa>, but on the other hand, <ue>)? Having seen a few Swedish websites do this lately has made me very happy, at least. They're starting to get it.
Online dictionary for my conlang Vanga: http://royalrailway.com/tungumaalMiin/Vanga/

#undef FEMALE

Of an Ernst'ian one.

Ulrike Meinhof
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Ulrike Meinhof »

Skomakar'n wrote:
Chuma wrote:When all the cities in Sweden started getting webpages, and they were not able to use åäö in the addresses, some of the cities were very unhappy about the result, including höör (originally means something like "stone altar", I'm guessing it might be related to "heap") and mönsterås ("pattern ridge"). There is a Swedish word as, pronounced like non-rhotic "arse", but is means "cadaver". Also not very pleasant.
Fucking stupid, stubborn Swedes. Why couldn't they just use <ae oe aa> like Denmark and Norway (and Germany, except, of course, for <aa>, but on the other hand, <ue>)? Having seen a few Swedish websites do this lately has made me very happy, at least. They're starting to get it.
Because it looks fugly.
Attention, je pelote !

Skomakar'n
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Skomakar'n »

Ulrike Meinhof wrote:
Skomakar'n wrote:
Because it looks fugly.
Noooo. So pretty. :(

Also helps avoid ambiguities and embarrassing situations, much like those mentioned above.

#undef FEMALE

Of an Ernst'ian one.

Ulrike Meinhof
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Ulrike Meinhof »

Skomakar'n wrote:Noooo. So pretty. :(

Also helps avoid ambiguities and embarrassing situations, much like those mentioned above.
It severely decreases readability. Compare:

Parlodlan at onskvard mangd ravkott, da tva skalar rackte bra at en sa entragen odla.
Paerloedlan aat oenskvaerd maengd raevkoett, daa tvaa skaalar raeckte bra aat en saa entraegen oedla.

The first one takes a tiny bit more concentration to read, the second one you need to consciously parse every word.
Attention, je pelote !

Skomakar'n
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Skomakar'n »

Ulrike Meinhof wrote:

Parlodlan at onskvard mangd ravkott, da tva skalar rackte bra at en sa entragen odla.
Paerloedlan aat oenskvaerd maengd raevkoett, daa tvaa skaalar raeckte bra aat en saa entraegen oedla.

The first one takes a tiny bit more concentration to read, the second one you need to consciously parse every word.
I disagree. The latter is much more readable to me, because I instantly can interpret ‹aa oe a› (which are not common vowel clusters in Swedish orthography) as replacements for ‹å ä ö›, while just using ‹a a o› gives me the wrong pronunciation in my head, definitely helping me stumble on things. I couldn't even interpret ‹ravkott› at all; I had to read ‹raevkoett› to understand it. I also stop because I'm not sure what's going on when I see things like ‹skalar› and ‹odla›, which are two other words than ‹skålar› and ‹ödla›, and I just don't understand the sentence at all, and then, after a few seconds, I realise what they actually are. Reading the second version was as smooth as seeing the regular letters with their proper diacritics.
Last edited by Skomakar'n on Mon Oct 10, 2011 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#undef FEMALE

Of an Ernst'ian one.

Ulrike Meinhof
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Ulrike Meinhof »

Skomakar'n wrote:I disagree. The latter is much more readable to me, because I instantly can interpret ‹aa oe a› (which are not common vowel clusters in Swedish orthography) as replacements for ‹å ä ö›, while just using ‹a a o› gives me the wrong pronunciation in my head, definitely helping me stumble on things.
Well, the second one gives me the pronunciation of a mongoloid right after dental surgery.
Attention, je pelote !

Skomakar'n
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Skomakar'n »

Ulrike Meinhof wrote:
Skomakar'n wrote:I disagree. The latter is much more readable to me, because I instantly can interpret ‹aa oe a› (which are not common vowel clusters in Swedish orthography) as replacements for ‹å ä ö›, while just using ‹a a o› gives me the wrong pronunciation in my head, definitely helping me stumble on things.
Well, the second one gives me the pronunciation of a mongoloid right after dental surgery.
My brain perfectly maps ‹aa ae oe› to ‹å ä ö›. I don't read them as though they actually were diphthongs or whatever. It doesn't take much practice at all, and should we start doing it regularly, people would quickly catch on and get used to it in no time. The next generation would grow up with it and sip it right in. I'd say it would have been very beneficial.

#undef FEMALE

Of an Ernst'ian one.

finlay
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by finlay »

Ulrike Meinhof wrote:

Second one looks like Dutch. sort of...

----
Smeric
Smeric

Post by ---- »

finlay wrote: Second one looks like Dutch. sort of...
See, it is ugly!

Chuma
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Chuma »

Also, I don't think "Moensteraas" looks that great either, and "Hoeoer", seriously?

Skomakar'n
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Skomakar'n »

Chuma wrote:Also, I don't think "Moensteraas" looks that great either, and "Hoeoer", seriously?
It's only for the URL, or for typing without access to ‹å ä ö›. When possible, ‹å ä ö› are always used, of course.

#undef FEMALE

Of an Ernst'ian one.

Terra
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Terra »

jmcd wrote:
Chibi wrote:
MisterBernie wrote:What, no megapussi and minipussi yet?
Reminds me of Bimbo
And that reminds of Cock Block.
They're even shaped like a peni-- I mean rocket!

Viktor77
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Viktor77 »

I used to listen to this CD of random Czech and Slovak songs from one of the Czech guys who lived with me and one lyric used to sound like "I like cheese." Or something. I'll never find it unfortunately to post here, but I always got a kick out of it.
Falgwian and Falgwia!!

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur.

Skomakar'n
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Skomakar'n »

I think it's pretty funny how German has the farewell 'tschüss', since Swedish and Norwegian have 'kyss' ('kiss') which can also be used as a farewell, but most probably as an affectionate one (even though I know people who started using it everywhere, jokingly, a few years ago, and now it's not even anything they think of anymore, so it's not in a joking manner; it's been watered down to just a regular farewell). It's usually reserved for phone calls and chats, I guess, though.

#undef FEMALE

Of an Ernst'ian one.

Bristel
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Bristel »

Skomakar'n wrote:I think it's pretty funny how German has the farewell 'tschüss', since Swedish and Norwegian have 'kyss' ('kiss') which can also be used as a farewell, but most probably as an affectionate one (even though I know people who started using it everywhere, jokingly, a few years ago, and now it's not even anything they think of anymore, so it's not in a joking manner; it's been watered down to just a regular farewell). It's usually reserved for phone calls and chats, I guess, though.
The two words are not cognates, as far as I know.

tschüss < Walloon adjüs which is cognate to French adieu
[bɹ̠ˤʷɪs.təɫ]
Nōn quālibet inīquā cupiditāte illectus hoc agō
Yo te pongo en tu lugar...
Taisc mach Daró

Skomakar'n
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Skomakar'n »

Bristel wrote:
Skomakar'n wrote:I think it's pretty funny how German has the farewell 'tschüss', since Swedish and Norwegian have 'kyss' ('kiss') which can also be used as a farewell, but most probably as an affectionate one (even though I know people who started using it everywhere, jokingly, a few years ago, and now it's not even anything they think of anymore, so it's not in a joking manner; it's been watered down to just a regular farewell). It's usually reserved for phone calls and chats, I guess, though.

Yeah, I checked that out before posting this message, and that's what I could find out too.

#undef FEMALE

Of an Ernst'ian one.

Bristel
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Bristel »

Skomakar'n wrote:
Bristel wrote:

Yeah, I checked that out before posting this message, and that's what I could find out too.
And I completely missed the point of the thread.

I feel like a smart-ass now. :(
[bɹ̠ˤʷɪs.təɫ]
Nōn quālibet inīquā cupiditāte illectus hoc agō
Yo te pongo en tu lugar...
Taisc mach Daró