Homonyms which are nearly antonyms

Discussion of natural languages, or language in general.
alice
Avisaru
Avisaru

Homonyms which are nearly antonyms

Post by alice »

One which comes to mind is /raiz/ in English, which can be either "raise" or "raze".
Zompist's Markov generator wrote:it was labelled" orange marmalade," but that is unutterably hideous.

sangi39
Avisaru
Avisaru

Re: Homonyms which are nearly antonyms

Post by sangi39 »

(Not so much homonyms here but...)

While it's a reconstructed 'lang, PIE has a few interesting ones such as *mel- "good" vs. *mel- "harm, argue, contend". If you stretch it to near homophones which are antonyms you get *mel- "good" vs. *melo- "bad" (itself apparently from *mel- "harm"). There's also *sed- "to sit down" vs. *sed- "to go" and *h1erh1- "quiet, at rest" vs. h1erh1- "row". There mentioned in The Oxford Introduction to Proto-Indo-European and the Proto-Indo-European World by Mallory and Adams.
You can tell the same lie a thousand times,
But it never gets any more true,
So close your eyes once more and once more believe
That they all still believe in you.
Just one time.

finlay
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by finlay »

Marion Blancard wrote:One which comes to mind is /raiz/ in English, which can be either "raise" or "raze".
/reɪz/, not /raɪz/ (which is 'rise')

alice
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by alice »

finlay wrote:
Marion Blancard wrote:One which comes to mind is /raiz/ in English, which can be either "raise" or "raze".
/reɪz/, not /raɪz/ (which is 'rise')
Oops! There's a spelling pronuncation for you.
Zompist's Markov generator wrote:it was labelled" orange marmalade," but that is unutterably hideous.

jal
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by jal »

Iirc, the Thai words for "hit" and "miss" (as in a target, used e.g. when playing darts or the like) only differ in tone.

JAL

Rui
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Rui »

jal wrote:Iirc, the Thai words for "hit" and "miss" (as in a target, used e.g. when playing darts or the like) only differ in tone.

JAL
Oh god, Mandarin is full of these. Well, maybe not full, but I can think of at least two off the top of my head:

买,卖 (mai4, mai3), meaning 'sell' and 'buy' respectively.
那,哪 (na4, na3), meaning 'there' and 'where' respectively.

The buy/sell example reminds me of German kaufen/verkaufen for buy/sell.

jal
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by jal »

Chibi wrote:The buy/sell example reminds me of German kaufen/verkaufen for buy/sell.
Same as in Dutch, "kopen" vs. "verkopen", but I wouldn't call that good examples, because then English "probable"/"improbable" etc. would also count.

JAL

Risla
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Risla »

All the hypo-/hyper- pairs. I imagine that's especially bad in non-rhotic dialects.

finlay
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by finlay »

You have to get around it by saying /ˌhaiˌpou-/ rather than /ˌhaipə-/ for the first one.

Rui
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Rui »

jal wrote:
Chibi wrote:The buy/sell example reminds me of German kaufen/verkaufen for buy/sell.
Same as in Dutch, "kopen" vs. "verkopen", but I wouldn't call that good examples, because then English "probable"/"improbable" etc. would also count.

JAL
I'm not sure if they are the same case, because ver- doesn't really have a definitive meaning in German (maybe it's different in Dutch). The prefix meaning "un-," "dis-," "in-" etc. in German verbs is usually ent-...but there is no word *entkaufen.

However, I'll agree that they aren't so fit for lists of near-homophones because they are pretty distinct. I was just reminded of how they both have the same "kaufen" root.

brandrinn
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by brandrinn »

finlay wrote:You have to get around it by saying /ˌhaiˌpou-/ rather than /ˌhaipə-/ for the first one.
In what dialect would /ˌhaipə-/ ever be an acceptable pronunciation for "hypo?" Would people really say "hyp-uh-alergenic?"
[quote="Nortaneous"]Is South Africa better off now than it was a few decades ago?[/quote]

finlay
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by finlay »

Uh, no. :roll: But it'd be acceptable in "hypoglycaemic", for example.

Oh, one near homonym that annoys me is illegal/legal, because so many people pronounce 'illegal' with a barely-audible /ɪ/ which is more of a syllabic lengthening of the /l/. Something like [l̩ːiːgəl] (ignoring other allophony of /l/). I often have to turn around and ask (or be asked) "[ˈɪl.liːgəl] or [ˈliːgəl]?"

Terra
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Terra »

"can" and "can't", since the [t] often disappears. Even in careful speech they can be difficult to discern.

finlay
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by finlay »

Terra wrote:"can" and "can't", since the [t] often disappears. Even in careful speech they can be difficult to discern.
Argh, I hate this, because in my own accent I usually have [kan] and [kanʔ], and I don't have much way around it other than to repeatedly ask "did you just say [kan] or [kantʼ]?" – some other scottish folk have the form 'cannae' (something like [kani] or [kane]) instead of 'can't', and most english folk have [kɑːnt] for 'can't'...

(the other big clue is that, crossdialectally, 'can' is often unstressed [kən] and 'can't' is always stressed, but if you want to put emphasis on 'can', it screws up)

Shrdlu
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Shrdlu »

The only one in Swedish I can think of is gift which means both poison/merry
If I stop posting out of the blue it probably is because my computer and the board won't cooperate and let me log in.!

jmcd
Smeric
Smeric

Post by jmcd »

With legal/illegal and can/can't, I think a good way to discern them is to lengthen them into separate words: "Did you mean legal or not legal?" And the same with "can not".

Jipí
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Jipí »

Chibi wrote:I'm not sure if they are the same case, because ver- doesn't really have a definitive meaning in German
Hm, it's got a variety of meanings in fact, yeah: http://de.wiktionary.org/wiki/ver-. I think in the case of verkaufen it's hardly reversible or irreversible change of state, as in their 4th example, rather than:
The prefix meaning "un-," "dis-," "in-" etc. in German verbs is usually ent-...but there is no word *entkaufen.
*Entkaufen could indeed be literally translated as *disbuy or *debuy, but to me that doesn't make much sense in English either, because nothing is undone, severed or taken back by the act of buying, which seem to be the meanings of dis- and de- respectively, at least in some words I can think of. *Entkaufen would involve a reversal or a detachment of or by the action of buying I think.

DISCLAIMER: I have not checked this with textbooks or other academic research; instead this statement is based on intuition alone, which I'm aware is very uninformed, imprecise and unscholarly, therefore void.

faiuwle
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by faiuwle »

You mean homophones, right? Also, obligatorily we have to talk about "inflammable". I know that "inflammable" = nonflammable is technically not a real thing, but it looks pretty damn real.
It's (broadly) [faɪ.ˈjuw.lɛ]
#define FEMALE

ConlangDictionary 0.3 3/15/14 (ZBB thread)

Quis vult in terra stare,
Cum possit volitare?

Qwynegold
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Qwynegold »

Shrdlu wrote:The only one in Swedish I can think of is gift which means both poison/merrymarried
My most recent quiz:
Eurovision Song Contest 2018

Shrdlu
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Shrdlu »

Tackar, men kommer du på några fler för här har det tvärdött? :o
If I stop posting out of the blue it probably is because my computer and the board won't cooperate and let me log in.!

Rui
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Rui »

Terra wrote:"can" and "can't", since the [t] often disappears. Even in careful speech they can be difficult to discern.
This is why phonemic {-tensing dialects are superior :D

[k{n] vs. [ke@n?] are very different from each other. "can" is frequently reduced to [kn=] imd, though.

Rui
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Rui »

Guitarplayer wrote:
Chibi wrote:I'm not sure if they are the same case, because ver- doesn't really have a definitive meaning in German
Hm, it's got a variety of meanings in fact, yeah: http://de.wiktionary.org/wiki/ver-. I think in the case of verkaufen it's hardly reversible or irreversible change of state, as in their 4th example, rather than:
The prefix meaning "un-," "dis-," "in-" etc. in German verbs is usually ent-...but there is no word *entkaufen.
*Entkaufen could indeed be literally translated as *disbuy or *debuy, but to me that doesn't make much sense in English either, because nothing is undone, severed or taken back by the act of buying, which seem to be the meanings of dis- and de- respectively, at least in some words I can think of. *Entkaufen would involve a reversal or a detachment of or by the action of buying I think.

DISCLAIMER: I have not checked this with textbooks or other academic research; instead this statement is based on intuition alone, which I'm aware is very uninformed, imprecise and unscholarly, therefore void.
Yeah, what I meant was that there is no single meaning of ver-, rather than a prefix like ent-, which universally means undoing something, or zer- which means destroying something.

And yeah, I knew the ent- prefix was somewhat productive (I remember hearing the German version of a Wicked song, where the Wicked Witch of the West says entgrünifizieren with reference to making her skin normal colored rather than green)

brandrinn
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by brandrinn »

infamous El Guapo
in famous El Guapo
[quote="Nortaneous"]Is South Africa better off now than it was a few decades ago?[/quote]

Yng
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Yng »

brandrinn wrote:infamous El Guapo
in famous El Guapo
not homonyms or even syntactically confusable
كان يا ما كان / يا صمت العشية / قمري هاجر في الصبح بعيدا / في العيون العسلية

tà yi póbo tsùtsùr ciivà dè!

short texts in Cuhbi

Risha Cuhbi grammar