language learning on android

Discussion of natural languages, or language in general.
Oric
Sanci
Sanci

language learning on android

Post by Oric »

My main device now is an HTC EVO 4G. I'd like to bring language learning into the 21st century. What are the best apps for that? I've got flashdroid for vocabulary. I'm not asking for any specific language, if a language-specific app exists that's good, go ahead and shout it out.

Koffiegast
Niš
Niš

Re: language learning on android

Post by Koffiegast »

i also really want a nice app that is like a game to just train myself
UN criticizes Dutch Euthanasia policy,
comment of a reader: WSquater, "U hebt als mens rechten en taken. 1 van die taken is om niet dood te gaan en geld voor ons te verzamelen, dit doet u via het abonnement Belastingdienst."

Oric
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Oric »

Guess there ain't none?

Mecislau
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Mecislau »

In truth, I have no idea what you're even looking for. Other than something like flashcards, what would you even expect out of a 'language learning app' that's not tied to any one language?

Koffiegast
Niš
Niš

Post by Koffiegast »

Mecislau wrote:In truth, I have no idea what you're even looking for. Other than something like flashcards, what would you even expect out of a 'language learning app' that's not tied to any one language?

Have a word in the language you want to learn (or know) and then have 4 options or a textbox where you fill in the translated word of your language/target language.
Do that for many words and have some system that reinforces ones you suck at. That is pretty much all I ask for, but there is no such thing.

The free apps ive tried are all stupid
'hello' = konichiwa
(ENG->JAP) and stuff like that. They are often misspelled words (even when romanized e.g. juichi instead juuichi), do not contain the words in their original alphabet (no hiragana/katakana, hell no kanji, or when chinese they don't have pinyin for example and you have no idea but to guess).

There are so many things you can do, but they all are simple 'lists' of stuff, or very obvious simple games that have no replay value (purely deterministic).
UN criticizes Dutch Euthanasia policy,
comment of a reader: WSquater, "U hebt als mens rechten en taken. 1 van die taken is om niet dood te gaan en geld voor ons te verzamelen, dit doet u via het abonnement Belastingdienst."