Latin-speaker

Discussion of natural languages, or language in general.
Ziz
Avisaru
Avisaru

Latin-speaker

Post by Ziz »

I saw this video on YouTube, of Latin teacher commentating on his experience learning Latin as a spoken language. Generally I'm not much for Latin, but his Latin seems pretty legitimate to me.His pronunciation, for instance, tries to be a lot more authentic than most people's (though he's probably a bit overzealous with his r's), and he seems to inflect everything well enough. What's fun about it I think is that you can make out a lot of what he's saying without the subtitles if you know something about Romance languages.

In any case, what do you guys make of his Latin?

Latinist13
Sanci
Sanci

Re: Latin-speaker

Post by Latinist13 »

Antirri wrote:I saw this video on YouTube, of Latin teacher commentating on his experience learning Latin as a spoken language. Generally I'm not much for Latin, but his Latin seems pretty legitimate to me.His pronunciation, for instance, tries to be a lot more authentic than most people's (though he's probably a bit overzealous with his r's), and he seems to inflect everything well enough. What's fun about it I think is that you can make out a lot of what he's saying without the subtitles if you know something about Romance languages.

In any case, what do you guys make of his Latin?
I agree that he may be overpronouncing the 'r's, but I have trouble trilling my 'r's, so I am not used to knowing what an alveolar trill is supposed to sound like. I'd say he is very good. I've seen this video before. When I went into the Education program to become a Latin Education major, he was kind of what I aspired to be, as he is energetic, happy, and engaging. Mr. Keil seems to be able to make the language come alive for his students through his level of oral proficiency. I wonder how he got the opportunity to study under Reginald Foster? From what he says, it sounds like a challenging, but most enjoyable, experience. It would be an interesting experience to be under the tutelage of somebody like Reginald Foster, Neil Coffee, Luigi Miraglia, or Susan Shearer. I would learn A LOT!

Ser
Smeric
Smeric
Location: Vancouver, British Columbia / Colombie Britannique, Canada

Post by Ser »

Antirri wrote:In any case, what do you guys make of his Latin?
There's a significant amount of influence from English in his interview, especially syntax (e.g. 2:15, "...mē incipere discere linguam latīnam in mōdō traditiōnāle", cf. "...that I started to learn Latin in the traditional way"; instead of "...mē linguam latīnam mōdō traditiōnālī discere incipere"). His pronunciation is outstandingly good, the only thing I'd criticize is the unnecessarily long [r::]'s, and the lack of nasal vowels for the -Vm endings: [ˈlɪngwãː laˈtiːnãː] is how the truest Latin lovers pronounce it =P).

Skomakar'n
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Skomakar'n »

His accent sounds like exaggerated italian. DadadaDAda, dadadaDAda, dadadaDAda...
Online dictionary for my conlang Vanga: http://royalrailway.com/tungumaalMiin/Vanga/

#undef FEMALE

I'd love for you to try my game out! Here's the forum thread about it:
http://zbb.spinnwebe.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=36688

Of an Ernst'ian one.

Ser
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Ser »

Skomakar'n wrote:His accent sounds like exaggerated italian. DadadaDAda, dadadaDAda, dadadaDAda...
Yeah, he follows Italian cadence for stressed long vowels. On the other hand, you can hardly avoid sounding like some other language, nobody knows what Latin intonation was actually like. :? And reading a text with flat intonation is horrible, I'd rather sound Italian-ish than like a robot.

Skomakar'n
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Skomakar'n »

Serafín wrote:
Skomakar'n wrote:His accent sounds like exaggerated italian. DadadaDAda, dadadaDAda, dadadaDAda...
Yeah, he follows Italian cadence for stressed long vowels. On the other hand, you can hardly avoid sounding like some other language, nobody knows what Latin intonation was actually like. :? And reading a text with flat intonation is horrible, I'd rather sound Italian-ish than like a robot.
The choice isn't between robot and an singing, though.

Just saying. Don't get me wrong. I am very impressed with, and envious of, his fluency!
Online dictionary for my conlang Vanga: http://royalrailway.com/tungumaalMiin/Vanga/

#undef FEMALE

I'd love for you to try my game out! Here's the forum thread about it:
http://zbb.spinnwebe.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=36688

Of an Ernst'ian one.

Ser
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Ser »

Yeah, don't get me wrong either, I don't intend to say I'm better than him AT ALL with my first post here. :P (Although I'd like to... ...some day......)

Qwynegold
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Qwynegold »

I also thought it sounded just like Italian.
My most recent quiz:
Eurovision Song Contest 2018

jal
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by jal »

Qwynegold wrote:I also thought it sounded just like Italian.
Indeed. Except for the ridiculous /rrrrrr/.

JAL

finlay
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by finlay »

I heard him saying [ləˈtine] several times.

Bristel
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Bristel »

With just a few descriptions of his speech, I know who exactly it is... Yes. His /rː/ is annoying.
[bɹ̠ˤʷɪs.təɫ]
Nōn quālibet inīquā cupiditāte illectus hoc agō
Yo te pongo en tu lugar...
Taisc mach Daró

Drydic
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Drydic »

everyone wrote:I thought it sounded just like Italian.
GEE I WONDER WHY
Image Image
Common Zein Scratchpad & other Stuffs! OMG AN ACTUAL CONPOST WTFBBQ

Formerly known as Drydic.

Latinist13
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Latinist13 »

I think his pronunciation style is probably due to who his teacher was, as I just found out one of the teachers in my home district studied under Reginald Foster, as well, and he pronounces things quite similarly. This is probably due to the fact that Magister Foster worked in Italy (technically, the Vatican), so the Italianate tendencies slipped into his accent, which was the model that Mr. Keil and the Latin teacher that I know had to go on.

Ser
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Ser »

Latinist13 wrote:I think his pronunciation style is probably due to who his teacher was, as I just found out one of the teachers in my home district studied under Reginald Foster, as well, and he pronounces things quite similarly. This is probably due to the fact that Magister Foster worked in Italy (technically, the Vatican), so the Italianate tendencies slipped into his accent, which was the model that Mr. Keil and the Latin teacher that I know had to go on.
I don't think Keil took Foster as a model, as Foster uses the Italian (or Ecclessiastic) method to read Latin, while Keil as you can hear from the video uses something closer to academic.

Left
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Left »

-----------
Last edited by Left on Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Herr Dunkel
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Herr Dunkel »

Asahi wrote:He sounded extremely...dead. Seemed very 'fake' in a way but he's really fluent in Latin.
He can atleast speak it. I only complain about the /r/ = [r:(::)] It doesn't really sound fake. I've heard Germans speaking an even more fake German than an American (?) speaking Latin.
sano wrote:
To my dearest Darkgamma,
http://www.dazzlejunction.com/greetings/thanks/thank-you-bear.gif
Sincerely,
sano

Izambri
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Izambri »

In no way sounds Italian to me. It has some faux-Russian flavour; without palatals, obviously.

Memorrrrriam??? WTF?! XD
Un llapis mai dibuixa sense una mà.

Bristel
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Bristel »

Izambri wrote:In no way sounds Italian to me. It has some faux-Russian flavour; without palatals, obviously.

Memorrrrriam??? WTF?! XD
He's got a thing for Mirielle Mathieu?

rrrrrrrrrr

l'étandarrrrrd sanglant est lévé
[bɹ̠ˤʷɪs.təɫ]
Nōn quālibet inīquā cupiditāte illectus hoc agō
Yo te pongo en tu lugar...
Taisc mach Daró

el imiradu
Sanci
Sanci

Post by el imiradu »

For all we know (some) Latin speakers really did pronoun "R" like that! Not that it's particularly likely.
Regenerated.

romanuc embilocu

Ser
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Ser »

el imiradu wrote:For all we know (some) Latin speakers really did pronoun "R" like that! Not that it's particularly likely.
People are criticizing the length of his [r], not whether it's a trill or not.