that National Geographic special

Discussion of natural languages, or language in general.
Rodlox
Avisaru
Avisaru

that National Geographic special

Post by Rodlox »

Does anyone remember, a few years ago there was a National Geographic program about language diversity and the effort to document languages?

Almost all I can remember from it, besides the occasional non-English word printed on the screen (with its translation) to give an impression of linguistic diversity. One of the linguists in it was shown working with a native speaker, and he said to the camera that this man's language substituted a different word in certain circumstances - the man couldn't articulate the rules for why, but he knew when to do the substitution.

I think it had the word "Babel" in the program title, written in lots of scripts.

Does anyone recall this?

(and yes, I ran a search for "babel" and "national geographic" before making this post)
MadBrain is a genius.

Gojera
Lebom
Lebom

Re: that National Geographic special

Post by Gojera »

My amazing Google powers couldn't find it, but I did find this video Lips of Babel, which is great.

fahrradkette
Sanci
Sanci

Post by fahrradkette »

Could it be this?
Kintâr-mi ami, ne-tiçma kâ merokli-mi dosi.

Rodlox
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Rodlox »

Azúcar wrote:Could it be this?
*checks that out*

Parts of it sound familiar...but that said they started around, what, 2008? The program I saw was in the first half of the 2000s. (post-9/11 too)

sorry.
MadBrain is a genius.

TomHChappell
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by TomHChappell »

Gojera wrote:My amazing Google powers couldn't find it, but I did find this video Lips of Babel, which is great.
Yes, it's great! Thanks. :D 8)