Book about numbers

Discussion of natural languages, or language in general.
Xephyr
Avisaru
Avisaru

Book about numbers

Post by Xephyr »

Does anybody know of any good book about the linguistics of number-words in languages? Search results seem to just give me books about grammatical number, which isn't what I'm looking for. Thanks.
"It will not come by waiting for it. It will not be said, 'Here it is,' or 'There it is.' Rather, the Kingdom of the Father is spread out upon the earth, and men do not see it."
The Gospel of Thomas

hwhatting
Smeric
Smeric

Re: Book about numbers

Post by hwhatting »

Don't know whether this helps, but here is a luridly coloured web site that has numerals and analyses of the numeral systems of tons of languages.
It's probably best to try web searches using numerals / numeral systems instead of "number".

finlay
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by finlay »

Or there's this one: http://www.sf.airnet.ne.jp/~ts/language/number.html
However, its Japanese page is very confusing, as it has the "native" Japanese number system down as "ancient" and not used anymore, which I'm fairly sure is false. And yet the creator seems to be japanese and should probably know his shit!

Bristel
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Bristel »

finlay wrote:Or there's this one: http://www.sf.airnet.ne.jp/~ts/language/number.html
However, its Japanese page is very confusing, as it has the "native" Japanese number system down as "ancient" and not used anymore, which I'm fairly sure is false. And yet the creator seems to be japanese and should probably know his shit!
No, he has native ancient and modern forms correctly... He was speaking of it diachronically.

(hitotsu is modern, but pitotu is the ancient form)
[bɹ̠ˤʷɪs.təɫ]
Nōn quālibet inīquā cupiditāte illectus hoc agō
Yo te pongo en tu lugar...
Taisc mach Daró

Turtlehead
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Turtlehead »

Go to your local library...
I KEIM HEWE IN THE ΠVEΓININΓ TA LEAWN WELX, ΠVVT NAW THE ΠVWΠVΣE FVW ΠVEINΓ HEWE IΣ VNKLEAW. THAT IΣ WAIT I LIKE TA MAKE KAWNLANΓΣ AWN THE ΣΠAWT.
TVWTLEHEAΔ

Niedokonany
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Niedokonany »

Do they have to be about, or would of content you?
uciekajcie od światów konających

Gojera
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Gojera »

Not that I've read it or anything, but Heike Wiese's Numbers, Language, and the Human Mind looks really interesting.