Genesis in Ojibwe

Discussion of natural languages, or language in general.
Whimemsz
Avisaru
Avisaru

Genesis in Ojibwe

Post by Whimemsz »

I should like to translate and analyze some passages from an Ojibwe version of the book of Genesis, published in 1835 (and available online here: http://www.canadiana.org/view/64693/0003)

More will come later whenever I feel like it

Title page:
NETUM EHW OOMAHZENAHEGAN OWH MOSES, GENESIS AZHENEKAHDAIG.
KAHAHNEKAHNOOTAHMOOBEUNG OWH KAHKEWAQUONABY, AHNESHENAHBA MAKAHDAWEKOONAHYA.

Code: Select all

NETUM  EHW         OOMAHZENAHEGAN  OWH       MOSES,  GENESIS  AZHENEKAHDAIG
nitam  iw          omazina'igan    aw        Moses,  Genesis  ezhinikaadeg
first  that(INAN)  3-book          that(AN)  M.,     G.       be.called.thus<IC>-INAN.CONJ

"The first book of Moses, called Genesis"

KAHAHNEKAHNOOTAHMOOBEUNG               OWH        KAHKEWAQUONABY,       AHNESHENAHBA  MAKAHDAWEKOONAHYA
gaa-aanikanootamawibii'ang             aw         gakiiwegwanebii,      anishinaabe   makadewikonaye
RELTV-translate-BEN-write-TI-3sg.CONJ  that(AN),  wave-feather-INCRP-?  Indian        black-wear.clothing-INCRP

"Translated by Peter Jones, Indian minister"
Brief commentary. First, on the abbreviations. Ojibwe verbs take different conjugations depending on their transitivity and the animacy of their subject or object, and the verb's class in this regard is usually marked on verb suffixes. In the glosses I'm abbreviating such suffixes/verb categories as: "AI" (intransitive verb with animate subject); "II" (intrans. verb with inanimate subj.); "TI" (transitive verb with inan. object); "TA" (trans. verb with anim. obj.). "IC" stands for "initial change", an ablaut process applied to the first vowel in the verb that signifies various things (in the first sentence above, it's used because it's essentially obligatory in this instance with the relative root izhi- "thus, so, in such a way" -- initial change here focuses attention on the manner, rather than on the action/state described by the verb as a whole. ezhinikaadeg can thus be translated in this case as something like "as it is called" or "that's how it's called"). "CONJ" stands for "conjunct", a verb order that in general marks subordinate clauses.

A couple other notes about the above. The missionary Peter Jones is referred to by his Ojibwe name, Gakiiwegwanebii, "Waving Feather". The term for "minister" is Makadewikonaye, literally "wearing black," originally applied to the early French Jesuit priests.

First page:
(1) Wahyashkud Keshamunedoo ooge oozhetoon ewh ishpeming, kiya ewh ahkeh.

1:1
Wahyashkud   Keshamunedoo     ooge oozhetoon         ewh         ishpeming,  kiya  ewh         ahkeh.
wayeshkad    Gizhe-manidoo    ogii-ozhitoon          iw          ishpiming,  gaye  iw          aki.
in.the.past  merciful-spirit  3-PAST-make-TI-sg.OBJ  that(INAN)  high-LOC,   and   that(INAN)  earth.

"In the long distant past, God made the Heavens and the earth."
Wayeshkad has meanings that range from "long ago" to "in ancient times" to "at the beginning (of a sequence of events)" to "at first". The term for God is Gizhe-manidoo, literally "merciful spirit" or "compassionate spirit" (Gichi-manidoo "great spirit" [which was calqued into English] CAN refer to the Judeo-Christian god, but doesn't always, and of course didn't originally; Gizhe-manidoo only refers to the god of the Bible).

'kay I'm tired so I'll do some more later

[EDIT: fixed gloss of "makadewikonaye"]
Last edited by Whimemsz on Sat May 19, 2012 3:11 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Xephyr
Avisaru
Avisaru

Re: Genesis in Ojibwe

Post by Xephyr »

Whoever designed that orthography should be hit in the balls with a piece of rebar. Mad props on deciphering that shit.
"It will not come by waiting for it. It will not be said, 'Here it is,' or 'There it is.' Rather, the Kingdom of the Father is spread out upon the earth, and men do not see it."
The Gospel of Thomas

Nortaneous
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Nortaneous »

Whimemsz wrote:terms referring specifically to ... Latin ... Makadewikonayemowin
the fuck?!
Siöö jandeng raiglin zåbei tandiüłåd;
nää džunnfin kukuch vklaivei sivei tåd.
Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei.

Astraios
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Astraios »

Whimemsz wrote:The term I'm assuming means Latin is Makadewikonaye, literally "wearing black" and which obviously refers to priests.

Xephyr
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Xephyr »

Nortaneous wrote:
Whimemsz wrote:terms referring specifically to ... Latin ... Makadewikonayemowin
the fuck?!
Welcome to North America, friend! 'Nother example: In Yup'ik the word for "in English" is kass'acetun, which means "like white people". This word is made from kass'aq, from Russian казак ("Cossack") which first meant "Russian, white person" but later just meant "white person" and was reappropriated to refer to English-speaking whites; so now to say "in Russian" you say kass'alugpiacetun, "like the original white people".
"It will not come by waiting for it. It will not be said, 'Here it is,' or 'There it is.' Rather, the Kingdom of the Father is spread out upon the earth, and men do not see it."
The Gospel of Thomas

----
Smeric
Smeric

Post by ---- »

It's similar in Navajo, the term for English is Bilagáana bizaad which means "language of the white man", where Bilagáana apparently comes from the Spanish americano.

Astraios
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Astraios »

In Lakota too: Wašíčuyapi < wašíču 'white man'. Nobody knows where wašíču really comes from, but I've heard some people say it's from wašíŋ ičú 'he takes (all the) fat' (I think it isn't, though).

Whimemsz
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Whimemsz »

Xephyr wrote:Whoever designed that orthography should be hit in the balls with a piece of rebar. Mad props on deciphering that shit.
It's actually pretty good compared to a lot of old documents (and it's not really a "designed" orthography, and it's not fully regular: it's just kind of the guy spelling stuff how he feels, with Englishy spelling rules). Though there do seem to be a handful of regularities, like "ah" being used for /a:/ and "owh" being used for aw.

EDIT: Oh, as long as we're discussing Indian ethnonyms for The White Man, I can add the Ojibwe ones:

(Gi)chi-mookomaan = "American" or just "white person". Literally, "big knife", a calque of a very common term for Euro-Americans among Indians, originally the Iroquois, "long knives". This is supposedly a reference to the sabres carried by cavalrymen.

Zhaaganaash = "Canadian" or "Englishman" or sometimes "white person". Zhaaganaash is apparently a very old loan from French (le)s anglais.

Wemitigoozhi = "Frenchman" or sometimes "Canadian". Literally, may mean something like "one who carries a stick" (< mitig "stick"), referring to the crosses carried by the first Frenchmen with whom Ojibwe speakers had contact, the Jesuit missionaries. On the other hand, another proposed meaning, of "one with wooden boats", seems to fit the actual shape of the word better (o-mitig-oozh-i = have-wood-boat-have, plus initial change to mark it as a participle), though it makes less sense to me why having wooden boats would be deemed one of the most identifying features of the Frenchmen. Plenty of neighboring Indian groups had dugout wooden canoes too.

Mooniyaa = "Canadian". An Ojibweized version of Montreal, which came to be applied to the country of Canada as a whole.

Baakwaayish = "Québecois". I assume this is a borrowing of (Qué)becois, plus the pejorative suffix -ish.

Agongos = "Scandinavian". Literally "chipmunk." I have no idea why. The only explanation I've seen is that the style of homes built by Scandinavian immigrants in North America reminded Indians of chipmunk dens.

Madoodoowinini = "Finn". Literally, "sweat-bath man".

Omakakiiwinini = Another word for "Finn". Literally "frog man". No clue.

Aanimaan = "German". Obviously from French Allemand. Another term is Dechiman, whose origin is again obvious.

Meyagwed = "German" again. This one means "one who speaks a strange/foreign language".

Wayaabishkiiwed = "White person". Literally "one who is white". Boring.

[Edit: Added more on Wemitigoozhi]
Last edited by Whimemsz on Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Whimemsz
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Whimemsz »

Anywho, back to...

First page:
(2) Kah dush mahsheh wahwanahkahmegezesejegahdasenoogoobun ewh ahkeh, kiya kah mahsheh kagoo ahyahsenoogoobun, kiya pesahkeeshkahgoobun emah wahgedahbeeg. Keshamunedoo dash Oojechogwun kemahmahjenewun emah wahgedahbeeg.

Kah  dush     mahsheh  wahwanahkahmegezesejegahdasenoogoobun  ewh         ahkeh,
gaa  dash     mashi    wawenakamig(eze)sijigaadesinoogoban    iw          aki,
not  DISC.SQ  yet      [see comments below for gloss]         that(INAN)  land/earth,

"And the form of the earth had not yet been chosen,

kiya  kah  mahsheh  kagoo      ahyahsenoogoobun,   kiya  pesahkeeshkahgoobun    emah   wahgedahbeeg.
gaye  gaa  mashi    gegoo      ayaasinoogoban,     gaye  bishagiishkaagoban     imaa   wagidabiing.
and   not  yet      something  be-NEG-DUBIT-PRET,  and   dark-be:II-DUBIT-PRET  there  on-water-LOC.

"and nothing yet existed, and it was dark on the water."

Keshamunedoo   dash     Oojechogwun   kemahmahjenewun       emah   wahgedahbeeg.
Gizhe-manidoo  dash     ojichaagwan   gii-mamaajiiniwan     imaa   wagidabiing.
God            DISC.SQ  3-spirit-OBV  PAST-move.around-OBV  there  on-water-LOC.

"And God's spirit moved about on the water."

I was hoping to do more than one verse, but that long word in the first clause took me so fucking long to decipher that I'm too tired to bother with more of this tonight. On to today's commentary:

First, the breakdown of wawenakamig(eze)sijigaadesinoogoban (where the "(eze)" means I haven't been able to figure that part out so I can't normalized and modernize the spelling). With the caveat that I'm still a little unsure on parts of this, this seems to be wa+wen-akamig-(eze)-sij-igaa-de-sinoo-go-ban = choose+RDP-ground/earth-?-let.fall:TI-PASSV-be:II-NEG-DUBIT-PRET, or very very roughly something like "the ground had evidently not yet been set into place." Fun fact: "choose, select" is on-, but the reduplicated form of this is wawen-. Because Ojibwe is fucking full of irregular reduplication patterns and it drives me fucking nuts.

The particle dash (which I've glossed "DISC.SQ", discourse sequencer) is a second-position clitic, which in general terms serves to advance the narrative, but can also sometimes be used in a contrastive sense, or to reinforce conjunctions like gaye "and". In free translation dash can usually be translated with "and" or "then".

A number of the verbs here are preterit dubitative (suffixe -goban), which is interesting to me because I don't usually encounter such verbs. It means more or less what the name implies: the verbs mark an event that presumably occurred in the past, but for which the speaker has no first-hand evidence. As such it's used more frequently in things like mythological narratives than in everyday discourse.

I'm pretty sure "wahgedahbeeg" has to represent wagidabiing, even though there isn't any such word in the dictionaries I have. wagid- is the prefix meaning "on top of" or "on", -bii- is a morpheme found in various somewhat random collections of words but meaning "water", and -(i)ng is the locative suffix. I don't know for sure whether the "ah" in the middle represents a or aa or maybe even something else...but I'm guessing a here because wagidaabiing suggests "on the string" (-aabii- means "string(like object)").

In the final sentence, there's an example of obviation (Algonquian languages of course being famous for their proximate-obviative contrast). Both Gizhe-manidoo "God" and jichaag "soul, spirit" are animate nouns, so because they appear in the same clause at least one must be obviative. And an animate noun possessed by another animate noun is always obviative. So jichaag (or rather, its possessed form, ojichaag- "his soul/spirit") takes the obviative suffix (in this case it appears as -wan). Since the obviative noun ojichaagwan is the subject of the verb, the verb takes obviative subject marking as well, in the form of the suffix -niwan. The weird thing here, though, is that at least in the variety of Ojibwe I'm learning, that should just be -wan. -ni is another obviative suffix used in other contexts (e.g., in II verbs). So I'm not sure exactly why there's a double-obviative suffix here. It could be a dialectal thing I'm not familiar with.

I'll also point out the reduplication in mamaajii "move around". This is the reduplicated form of maajii "start off, get going". Here, reduplication clearly adds a sense of repetition or iteration; or, alternately/additionally, expansion/distribution over a larger area of space.

Also this text uses gaa as its negative particle, whereas the Ojibwe I'm used to uses gaawiin (etymologically, gaa + the contrastive particle wiin, which itself seems to just be the 3sg animate pronoun wiin extended to additional uses...)
Last edited by Whimemsz on Sat Dec 31, 2011 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ná'oolkiłí
Lebom
Lebom

Post by ná'oolkiłí »

This is a great thread. I was reading a grammar of Nishnaabemwin and all I could think when I was reading it was that this is the most well designed conlang I've ever seen. Where/how are you learning Ojibwe?

Whimemsz
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Whimemsz »

ná'oolkiłí wrote:This is a great thread. I was reading a grammar of Nishnaabemwin and all I could think when I was reading it was that this is the most well designed conlang I've ever seen. Where/how are you learning Ojibwe?
Well I have various dictionaries, a few tapes I bought while up in Wisconsin/Minnesota, some workbooks, and a few books containing stories and interviews in Ojibwe. Plus a number of academic papers and dissertations I've ordered over the years. And of course Valentine's Nishnaabemwin grammar. Unfortunately I live in Texas sooooo.......not many opportunities to use and/or practice it and/or hear anyone speaking it ever.

ná'oolkiłí
Lebom
Lebom

Post by ná'oolkiłí »

Well it seems that you're pretty familiar with the morphology, at least, which I'd say is quite an accomplishment =)

Could you refresh my memory about the iambic syncope process? I found that to be one of the coolest phonological features I've heard about. IIRC it doesn't occur in every Ojibwe dialect, right? Does it occur in the dialect you're studying, or the one you're translating here from?

Whimemsz
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Whimemsz »

ná'oolkiłí wrote:Well it seems that you're pretty familiar with the morphology, at least, which I'd say is quite an accomplishment =)

Could you refresh my memory about the iambic syncope process? I found that to be one of the coolest phonological features I've heard about. IIRC it doesn't occur in every Ojibwe dialect, right? Does it occur in the dialect you're studying, or the one you're translating here from?
It occurs in Eastern Ojibwe and in Odawa (Ottawa)--the two dialects represented in the Nishnaabemwin grammar (otherwise, the two dialects represented in that book are quite distinct). Some other dialects do have more limited syncope processes, though, e.g. deleting just the vowel in an initial syllable if it's weak. The dialect I'm learning, and whatever precise dialect is reflected in this Bible, are non-syncopating.

Basically, Ojibwe syllables can be strong or weak, and are grouped into metrical feet. The normal pattern is a series of alternating W+S syllables, counting from the beginning of the word, and each W+S group is a metrical foot. But, since long vowels are always strong, any time W would fall on a long vowel, the long vowel is treated as a single metrical foot of its own, consisting only of S, and counting is resumed. S syllables receive at least secondary stress, while W syllables are unstressed. In the syncopating eastern dialects, all W syllables are lost, leading to a whole bunch of new complexities, and major reinterpretations/grammatical changes in an effort to regularize the resulting morphophonemic alternations.

More info on Ojibwe stress patterns, with examples, here and here.

Astraios
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Astraios »

Lakota calls Germans 'speakers of a strange language' too. Poor Germans, the Native Americans didn't like you!

Anyway, this is a very awesome thread.

Whimemsz
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Whimemsz »

Astraios wrote:Anyway, this is a very awesome thread.
Miigwech!

Quick correction: what I initially translated as "from Latin to Ojibwe" should instead read something like "Indian minister", describing the translator Peter Jones. And speaking of Jones, given some of the characteristics of the text and given his band and where he was born, this looks to be written in an early-1800s version of Eastern Ojibwe (it doesn't show modern EOj.'s characteristic syncope because the syncope change only occurred in about the 1920s and 30s).

Continuing with...

First page:
(3) Keshamunedoo dush keekedooh, Tahgah, tahwahsayah: me dush goo kewahsayahnig. (4) Keshamunedoo dush ooge menahwenon ewh wahsayah: Keshamunedoo dash ooge nanahwenon ewh wahsayah, kiya weh pasahkeeshkog. (5) Kezhik dush ooge ezhenekahdon owh Keshamunedoo ewh wahsayah, Tebik dush ween ooge ezhenekahdon ewh pasahkeeshkog. Kahoonagooshig dush kiya kahgahgezhabahwahguk, me ewh netum kegezheguk.

1:3
Keshamunedoo   dush     keekedooh,  Tahgah,   tahwahsayah:            me    dush     goo   kewahsayahnig.
Gizhe-manidoo  dash     giigido,    daga,     daa-waaseyaa:           mii   dash     go    gii-waaseyaanig.
God            DISC.SQ  speak,      come.on,  MODAL-be.bright.light:  it's  DISC.SQ  EMPH  PAST-be.bright.light-OBV-CONJ.

"And God said, 'come now, let light shine': and then indeed light shone."

1:4
Keshamunedoo   dush     ooge menahwenon             ewh         wahsayah:
Gizhe-manidoo  dash     ogii-minawinoon             iw          waaseyaa:
God            DISC.SQ  3-PAST-good-look(?)-sg.OBJ  that(INAN)  be.bright.light:

"And God considered the light to look good:

Keshamunedoo   dush      ogee nanahwenon              ewh         wahsayah,         kiya  ewh         pasahkeeshkog.
Gizhe-manidoo  dash      ogii-nenaawinaan             iw          waaseyaa,         gaye  iw          beshagiishkaag.
God            DISC.SQ   3-PAST-divide-TI-sg.OBJ(?)   that(INAN)  be.bright.light,  and   that(INAN)  dark<IC>-be:II-CONJ.

"and God divided the light and the darkness."

1:5
Kezhik   dush     ooge ezhenekahdon           owh       Keshamunedoo   ewh         wahsayah,
Giizhig  dash     ogii-izhinikaadaan          aw        Gizhe-manidoo  iw          waaseyaa,
Day      DISC.SQ  3-PAST-thus-call-TI-sg.OBJ  that(AN)  God            that(INAN)  be.bright.light,

"And God called the light 'day',

Tebik  dush     ween         ooge ezhenekahdon           ewh         pasahkeeshkog.
Dibik  dash     wiin         ogii-izhinikaadaan          iw          beshagiishkaag
Night  DISC.SQ  CONTRASTIVE  3-PAST-thus-call-TI-sg.OBJ  that(INAN)  dark<IC>-be:II-CONJ.

"And on the other hand he called the darkness 'night'."

Kahoonagooshig            dush     kiya  kahgahgezhabahwahguk,           me    ewh         netum  kegezheguk.
Gaa-onaagoshig            dash     gaye  gaa-gagizhebaawagak,            mii   iw          nitam  gii-giizhigak.
PAST<IC>-be.evening-CONJ  DISC.SQ  and   PAST<IC>-morning-?-be:II-CONJ,  it's  that(INAN)  first  PAST-day-be:II-CONJ.

"And evening and then morning, it was the first day."
EDIT: Commentary now up:

There's some more examples of obviation here. I wrote in a previous post how if there's more than one third person animate referent in a clause, only one can be proximate, and any others must be obviative: a distinction marked both with suffixes on the nouns themselves as well as in the verbal morphology, demonstrative agreement, etc. What I didn't mention was that even inanimate nouns are treated as obviative if there's a proximate noun in the same clause. The difference is that the inanimate noun, if expressed with a distinct NP, isn't marked for obviation; the distinction is marked on the verb, however. Thus, in verse 3, the verb gii-waaseyaanig "there was bright light" includes the inanimate obviative suffix -ni. The only problem here is I'm not sure what triggered the obviation, since earlier in the same sentence the same verb occurs without obviative marking. :\

There's a few examples here of the particle mii, which is extremely common, but very difficult to define or explain, let alone gloss concisely (I've gone with "it's"). It has a number of different functions. One is as a sort of discourse sequencer, or mover of discourse, similar to dash (with which it frequently co-occurs). Another is as a completive marker of sorts. Finally, it is often used as a focusing particle, with predicative properties. In such cases clauses opened with mii are often translated into English with cleft constructions, and hence my glossing of it as "it's". It almost always conditions a following verb to be conjunct, as here.

There's more examples of initial change in these verses, in this case in its role in forming participles (like beshagiishkaag "that which is dark [i.e., darkness]", changed conjunct form of bishagiishkaa, "be dark") and the role, which I mentioned in my first post (and also described here years ago), of focusing attention on the situations surrounding an action rather than the action itself (like gaa-onaagoshig "when it was evening" or "it was then evening", changed conjunct form of gii-onaagoshin "it was evening").

One interesting aspect of Algonquian languages are so-called "relative roots," which...I don't know how to describe very well. Valentine's description will do for now: "Relative roots are used to specify various relations between a verb and some element, which may serve to indicate the predicate's source, reason, manner, location, quantity, degree, or extent." Here a good example is in verse 5, which begins Giizhig dash ogii-izhinikaadaan aw Gizhe-manidoo iw waaseyaa, "and God called the light 'day'". The relative root occurs in the verb izhinikaadan "call something (inanimate object) thus", where the relative root is izhi- "thus, in such a way", and the complement of the relative root is what or how God called the light, namely giizhig "day" (note that this is distinct from the grammatical object of the verb, which is iw waaseyaa, "the light"). A relative root's complement always precedes the verb containing the relative root--as here.

In the second line of verse 5, I've glossed wiin as the contrastive particle. However, the contrastive particle is homophonous with the third singular (animate) pronoun wiin (and I assume derives from it historically). I don't have enough experience with the use of either the pronoun or the contrastive particle to know which sense is more likely here, and it could easily be the 3sg pronoun.

Finally, note that in the dialect I'm familiar with, "morning" is gigizheb-, but here it is evidently gagizheb-, judging by Jones' spelling <gahgezhab->. This form of the word is characteristic in modern Ojibwe of the dialect spoken around Manitoulin Island, which is a form of Odawa (though Jones presumably spoke a variety of Eastern Ojibwe, as I mentioned at the beginning of this post)

[EDIT: fixed stuff about "makadewikonaye"]
Last edited by Whimemsz on Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Whimemsz
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Whimemsz »

Before I continue, I will note that I've added some updates/correction/commentary to my most recent previous post.

On with:

First page:
(6) Keshamunedoo dush keekedooh, Tahgah tahmeshah kezhegookah nesahwahyeeeh emah nebeeng, chenanahweahyog dush enewh nebeen. (7) Keshamunedoo dush ooge oozhetoon ewh meshah kezhik, kenanahwenung dush enewh nebeen ahnahmahye[ee]h emah meshah kezhegoong ayahgin kiya enewh oogejahyeeeh ayahgin: me dush goo ewh kahezhewabuk. (8) Ishpeming dush ooge ezhenekahdon owh Kesha[mune]doo oweh meshah kezhik. Kahoonahgoshig dush kiya kahgahgezhabahwahguk, me ewh neenzhing kegezheguk.

1:6
Keshamunedoo   dush     keekedooh,  Tahgah   tahmeshah kezhegookah    nesahwahyeeeh  emah   nebeeng,
Gizhe-manidoo  dash     giigido,    daga     daa-mishagiizhigookaa    nisawayi'ii    imaa   nibiing,
God            DISC.SQ  speak,      come.on  MODAL-broad-sky-be.many  in.middle-it   there  water-LOC,

"And God said, 'come now, let there be a broad expanse of sky in the middle of the water,

chenanahweahyog                    dush     enewh        nebeen.
ji-nenaaw(eahy)aag                 dash     iniw         nibiin.
FUT.CONJ-divide-?-be:II-INAN.CONJ  DISC.SQ  those(INAN)  water-PL.

"'so that the waters will be divided.'"

1:7
Keshamunedoo   dush     ogee ozhetoon   ewh         meshah kezhik,
Gizhe-manidoo  dash     ogii-ozhitoon   iw          mishagiizhig,
God            DISC.SQ  3-PAST-make-TI  that(INAN)  broad-sky,

"And God made the broad expanse of sky,

kenanahwenung            dush     enewh        nebeen    ahnahmahye[ee]h  emah   meshah kezhegoong
gii-nenaawinang          dash     iniw         nibiin    anaamayi'ii      imaa   mishagiizhigong
PAST-divide-TI-3sg.CONJ  DISC.SQ  those(INAN)  water-PL  under-it         there  broad-sky-LOC

ayahgin                kiya  enewh        oogejahyeeeh  ayahgin:
         ayaagin                gaye  iniw         ogijayi'ii    ayaagin:
         be.there-INAN.CONJ-PL  and   those(INAN)  above-it      be.there-INAN.CONJ-PL:

"in order to divide the waters that were under the expanse from the waters that were over it:

me    dush     goo   ewh         kahezhewabuk.
mii   dash     go    iw          gaa-izhiwebak.
it's  DISC.SQ  EMPH  that(INAN)  PAST<IC>-thus-occur-II-CONJ.

"and that's what happened."

1:8
Ishpeming  dush     ooge ezhenekahdon    owh       Kesha[mune]doo  ewh         meshah kezhik.
Ishpiming  dash     ogii-izhinikaadan    aw        Gizhe-manidoo   iw          mishagiizhig.
'heaven'   DISC.SQ  3-PAST-thus-call-TI  that(AN)  God             that(INAN)  broad-sky.

"And God called the expanse of sky 'heaven'."
I'll add some commentary hopefully later today
Crap, I probably won't be able to get back to it for about a week.

Cockroach
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Cockroach »

Astraios wrote:In Lakota too: Wašíčuyapi < wašíču 'white man'. Nobody knows where wašíču really comes from, but I've heard some people say it's from wašíŋ ičú 'he takes (all the) fat' (I think it isn't, though).
Perhaps derived from Washington?

Astraios
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Astraios »

Oh, could be. I never thought of that.

Whimemsz
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Whimemsz »

Astraios wrote:Oh, could be. I never thought of that.
You need to figure out when it's first attested (though, of course, that's hard to do with languages that aren't regularly written by their native speakers until very recently). But if it's attested before the first decade or two of the 19th century then it can't be from "Washington" because Washington wasn't the capitol yet.

Drydic
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Drydic »

Whimemsz wrote:
You need to figure out when it's first attested (though, of course, that's hard to do with languages that aren't regularly written by their native speakers until very recently). But if it's attested before the first decade or two of the 19th century then it can't be from "Washington" because Washington wasn't the capitol yet.
George
Image Image
Common Zein Scratchpad & other Stuffs! OMG AN ACTUAL CONPOST WTFBBQ

Formerly known as Drydic.

Whimemsz
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Whimemsz »

Drydic Guy wrote:
Whimemsz wrote:
George
I would consider it extremely unlikely for the Lakota ethnonym for Amercians/white people to be based on the name of George Washington. Much more likely, if the name does indeed come from "Washington", would be for it to be derived from the name of the capital city, in which the American government was based and was thus the location where Indian delegations would meet with government officials etc., and the point of departure for officials visiting Indian lands. George Washington was a well-known person, but his influence was primarily on the white-controlled areas of America, and only lasted for a few years. The influence of the American government based in Washington, D.C. on Indian nations was profound and long-lasting. (Compare my note above, on how one of the Ojibwe terms for "white person" is mooniyaa, derived from "Montreal")
Last edited by Whimemsz on Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Whimemsz
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Whimemsz »

Meh, screw commentary for now.

PAGES 1-2

(9) Keshamunedoo dush keekedooh, Tahgah enewh nebeen nesahwahyeeeh emah meshah kezhegoong ayah[gi]n, pazhegwahnoong tahmahmundoogahmesawun, kiya [next page] dush tahenahgwud ewh pahyaingwahkahmegog ahkeh: me dush goo ewh kahezhewabuk.

1:9
Keshamunedoo   dush     keekedooh,  Tahgah   enewh        nebeen    nesahwahyeeeh  emah   meshah kezhegoong  ayah[gi]n,
Gizhe-manidoo  dash     giigido,    daga     iniw         nibiin    nisawayi'ii    imaa   mishagiizhigong    ayaagin,
God            DISC.SQ  say,        come.on  those(INAN)  water-PL  in.middle-it   there  broad-sky-LOC      be.there-INAN.CONJ-PL,

pazhegwahnoong  tahmahmundoogahmesawun,
         bezhigwanong    daa-maawandoogamisewan,
         in.one.place    MODAL-gather-liquid-MOTION-INAN.PL,

"And God said, 'come, let the waters that are in the middle of the expanse gather in one place

kiya  dush     tahenahgwud      ewh         pahyaingwahkahmegog      *ahkik*:
gaye  dash     daa-naagwad      iw          bayengwakamigaag         (akik):
and   DISC.SQ  MODAL-appear-II  that(INAN)  dry<IC>-land-be:II-CONJ  (land):

"'and let dry (land) appear':

me    dush     goo   ewh         kahezhewabuk.
mii   dash     go    iw          gaa-izhiwebak.
it's  DISC.SQ  EMPH  that(INAN)  PAST<IC>-thus-occur-II-CONJ.

"and that's what happened."
Except for two quick notes on errors: firstly, "tahmahmundoogahmesawun" is printed instead of "tahmahwundoogahmesawun" which has to be what's intended (representing daa-maawandoogamisewan "liquids should gather [with sudden/strong motion]").* Secondly, the first part of God's statement in Genesis 1:9 should be translated as something like "...let the waters under the heavens be gathered...", but here what should be "under the heavens" is instead translated as "nesahwahyeeeh emah meshah kezhegoong" (i.e., nisawayi'ii imaa mishagiizhigong, "in the middle of the broad-expanse-of-sky"). My guess is this must just be a mistaken duplication of the occurrence of nisawayi'ii in verse 6?

*Actually I'm not 100% positive that that o-vowel there should be long (oo) and not short (o) since this word isn't in my dictionary, but the morphological rules *I think* should leave you with a long vowel.

Whimemsz
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Whimemsz »

Commentary can come later if anyone wants it.

(10) Ahkeh dush ooge ezhenekahdon owh Keshamunedoo ewh pahyaingookahmegog ahkeh; Kechegahmeen dush ween ooge ezhenekahdahnun enewh kemahmahwundoogahmesanig enewh nebeen: Keshamunedoo dush ooge menahwenon. (11) Keshamunedoo dush keekedooh, Tahgah ewh ahkeh oogahzahgahketoon ewh manzhusk, chemenewung enewh nwahkashkahkin, kiya egewh mahnewejig metigoog chene ezhe mahmenewewod ewh azhe metigoowewod, ewh aindahswayahgezewod emah ahkeeng: me dush goo ewh kaezhewabuk. (12) Ewh dush ahkeh ooge zahgahketoon ewh manzhusk keezhemenewung dush enewh nwahkahshkahkin ewh aindahswayahging, kiya owh metig keezhemenewid, ewh aindahswayahgezewod: ooge menahwenon dush owh Keshamunedoo. (13) Kahoonahgooshig dush, kiya kahgahgezhabahwahguk, me ewh kenesooh kezheguk.

1:10
Ahkeh  dush     ooge ezhenekahdon           owh       Keshamunedoo   pahyaingookahmegog       *ahkeh*;
aki    dash     ogii-izhinikaadaan          aw        Gizhe-manidoo  bayengwakamigaag         (aki);
land   DISC.SQ  3-PAST-thus-call-TI-SG:OBJ  that(AN)  God            dry<IC>-land-be:II-CONJ  (land);

"And God called the dry (land), 'land';

Kechegahmeen  dush     ween         ooge ezhenekahdahnun        enewh        kemahmahwundoogahmesanig                enewh        nebeen:
gichigamiin   dash     wiin         ogii-izhinikaadaanan        iniw         gii-maamaawandoogamisenig               iniw         nibiin:
big-water-PL  DISC.SQ  CONTRASTIVE  3-PAST-thus-call-TI-PL.OBJ  those(INAN)  PAST-RDP-gather-liquid-motion-OBV-CONJ  those(INAN)  water-PL:

"And meanwhile he called the waters that had gathered, 'seas':

Keshamunedoo   dush     ooge menahwenon.
Gizhe-manidoo  dash     ogii-minawinoon.
God            DISC.SQ  3-PAST-good-look-SG:OBJ.

"And God saw it as good."

1:11
Keshamunedoo   dush     keekedooh,  Tahgah   ewh         ahkeh  oogahzahgahketoon           ewh         manzhusk,
Gizhe-manidoo  dash     giigido,    daga     iw          aki    o(daa?)-zaagakiidoon        iw          miizhishk,
God            DISC.SQ  say,        come.on  that(INAN)  land   3(MODAL?)-sprout-TI-SG:OBJ  that(INAN)  grass,

"And God said, 'come now, let the land sprout grass,

chemenewung                enewh        nwahkashkahkin,         *kiya*  egewh      mahnewejig                  metigoog
ji-miiniwang               iniw         (nwaakaashk)akin?,      (gaye)  igiw       maaniwijig                  mitigoog
CONJ:MODAL-give-?-II-CONJ  those(INAN)  (?)<IC>-be:II-CONJ-PL,  (and)   those(AN)  give<IC>-?-PARTCPL:CONJ-PL  tree-PL

chene ezhe mahmenewewod                     ewh         azhe metigoowewod,
         ji-ni-izhi-maamiiniwiwaad                   iw          ezhi-mitigowiwaad,
         CONJ:MODAL-go.and-thus-RDP-give-?-3PL:CONJ  that(INAN)  thus<IC>-tree-be:AI-3PL:CONJ,

"'that bear (seeds?), (and) fruit-giving trees, the trees which give fruit,

ewh         eindahswayahgezewod          emah   ahkeeng:   me    dush     goo   ewh         kaezhewabuk.
iw          endaswayagiziwaad            imaa   akiing:    mii   dash     go    iw          gaa-izhiwebak.
that(INAN)  IC-so.many-?-be:AI-3PL:CONJ  there  land-LOC:  it's  DISC.SQ  EMPH  that(INAN)  PAST<IC>-thus-occur-II-CONJ.

"'of all kinds on the earth': and that's what happened."

1:12
Ewh         dush     ooge zahgahketoon        ewh         manzhusk   keezhemenewung            dush     enewh        nwahkahshkahkin
iw          dash     ogii-zaagakiidoon        iw          miizhishk  gii-izhi-miiniwang        dash     iniw         (nwaakaashk)akin
that(INAN)  DISC.SQ  3-PAST-sprout-TI-SG:OBJ  that(INAN)  grass      PAST-thus-grow-?-II-CONJ  DISC.SQ  those(INAN)  (?)<IC>-be:II-CONJ-PL

ewh         aindahswayahging,
         iw          endaswayaging,
         that(INAN)  IC-so.many-?-?-CONJ,

"And so then that grass sprouted up and all kinds of (seed-bearing plants?),

kiya  owh       metig  keezhemenewid,          ewh         aindahswayahgezewod:
gaye  aw        mitig  gii-izhi-miiniwid,      iw          endaswayagiziwaad:
and   that(AN)  tree   PAST-thus-give-?-CONJ,  that(INAN)  IC-so.many-?-be:AI-3P:CONJ:

"And the fruit-giving tree, all kinds of it:

ooge menawenon              dush     owh       Keshamunedoo.
ogii-minawinoon             dash     aw        Gizhe-manidoo.
3-PAST-good-look(?)-SG:OBJ  DISC.SQ  that(AN)  God.

"And God saw it as good."

1:13
Kahoonagooshig            dush     kiya  kahgahgezhabahwahguk,           me    ewh         kenesooh kezheguk.
Gaa-onaagoshig            dash     gaye  gaa-gagizhebaawagak,            mii   iw          gii-niizhogiizhigak
PAST<IC>-be.evening-CONJ  DISC.SQ  and   PAST<IC>-morning-?-be:II-CONJ,  it's  that(INAN)  PAST-two-day-be:II-CONJ.

"And evening and then morning, it was the second day."

Whimemsz
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Whimemsz »

Thread necromancy because semi-relevant thing, sorry.
Xephyr wrote:Whoever designed that orthography should be hit in the balls with a piece of rebar. Mad props on deciphering that shit.
Today I came across literally the worst orthography for writing Ojibwe that I have ever seen, which is saying a lot. It's in the writings of John Long, an English Indian trader operating in the late 1700s. His quotes of people speaking Ojibwe are almost entirely indecipherable, e.g.:
Angaymem Nocey wa haguamissey kaygo arwayyor kee zargetoone oway barthtyage Nishinnorbay nogome cawwickca kitchee Artawway winnin, kitchee morgussey cargoneek neennerwind zargetoone artawway neennerwind debwoye Nocey barthtyage meekintargan omar appeemeenequy mackquah amik warbeshance menoach kegonce.
This is awful for several reasons. First, as I say, the spelling is just...terrible.* It doesn't help that he's English and thus non-rhotic and thus does shit like spell niinawind as <neennerwind> and Anishinaabe as <Nishinnorbay>.

Also, although there's a lot here I can't decipher, it's obvious that his "translation" of it is a very loose one [the last few words, for example, seem to be ...omaa apii miinigooy(an) makwa, amik, waabizhens miinawaj giigoons, "then we [will] give you bear, beaver, marten, and fish," (not sure about that, though) which he translates as "we shall [use our best endeavors to hunt and] bring you wherewithal to satisfy you in furs, skins, and animal food"]. But also, from what I can tell, either he was nowhere near fluent in Ojibwe, or (perhaps more likely), he used a pidginized version of it, and his Ojibwe hosts spoke to him in the same Ojibwe pidgin, because there seems to be a lot here that is grammatically wrong (no plurals, lack of consistent verb agreement, overuse of personal pronouns, and other weird stuff).

*My best attempt at deciphering it (with brackets around stuff I have no clue about, and question marks before stuff I'm kinda doubtful of): [Angaymem] Noose [wa] [haguamissey] ?gegoo awiiya gii-zaagitoon owe [barthtyage] Anishinaabe noongom ?gaawiikaa gichi-adaawewinini, gichi-[morgussey] [cargoneek] niinawind zaagitoon adaawe niinawind ?debwe noose [barthtyage] ?mii [ki]?nitaage[n] omaa apii ?miinigooyan makwa, amik, waabizhens miinawaj giigoons.

His translation is: "It is true, Father, I and my young men are happy to see you; as the great Master of Life has sent a trader to take pity on us savages we shall use our best endeavors to hunt and bring you wherewithal to satisfy you in furs, skins, and animal food."

The elements I've got are, respectively: "[Angaymem] my.father(VOC) [wa] [haguamissey] ?something someone liked.it[1] this [barthtyage] Indian now never trader, great-[morgussey] [cargoneek] we(EXCL) like.it[1] trade we ?truly my.father(VOC) [barthtyage] ?it's [ki-]?hunt.well[-n] then ?we.give.you bear, beaver, marten and fish."

[1] grammatically incorrect

EDIT: Here you go, Cev:

Nocey, arwayyor, zargetoone, Nishinnorbay, nogome, cawwickca
Noose, awiiya, zaagitoon, Anishinaabe, noongom, gaa wiikaa

kitchee Artawway winnin, neennerwind, omar appee, meenequy
Gichi-adaawewinini, niinawind, omaa apii, miinigooy(an)

mackquah, amik, warbeshance, menoach, kegonce
Makwa, amik, waabizhens, miinawaj, giigoons
Last edited by Whimemsz on Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:53 am, edited 2 times in total.

Drydic
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Drydic »

KITCHEE MORGUSSEY CARGONEEK
Image Image
Common Zein Scratchpad & other Stuffs! OMG AN ACTUAL CONPOST WTFBBQ

Formerly known as Drydic.