Endonyms that have intersting connotations in other langs

Discussion of natural languages, or language in general.
zompist
Boardlord
Boardlord

Re: Endonyms that have intersting connotations in other lang

Post by zompist »

But, as mentioned, and according to Larrousse, coq d'Inde refers to the West Indies. But poule d'Inde referred to the guineafowl. (For more confusion, the latter is now called the pintade.)

Turtlehead
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Turtlehead »

Numida meleagris and Meleagris gallopavo?
I KEIM HEWE IN THE ΠVEΓININΓ TA LEAWN WELX, ΠVVT NAW THE ΠVWΠVΣE FVW ΠVEINΓ HEWE IΣ VNKLEAW. THAT IΣ WAIT I LIKE TA MAKE KAWNLANΓΣ AWN THE ΣΠAWT.
TVWTLEHEAΔ

Izambri
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Izambri »

Numida meleagris = Fr. pintade de Numidie; Cat. pintada or gallina de Guinea; Eng. helmeted guineafowl.
Meleagris gallopavo = Fr. dinde (poule d'Inde. Male: dindon); Cat. gall dindi, also indió, paó, pioc, titot; Eng. turkey.
Un llapis mai dibuixa sense una mà.

Mr. Z
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Mr. Z »

In Hebrew it's תרנגול הודו, /tarnegol hodu/, "India chicken". Sometimes it's shortened to הודו, /hodu/, "India".
Přemysl wrote:
Kereb wrote:they are nerdissimus inter nerdes
Oh god, we truly are nerdy. My first instinct was "why didn't he just use sunt and have it all in Latin?".
Languages I speak fluently
English, עברית

Languages I am studying
العربية, 日本語

Conlangs
Athonian

Turtlehead
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Turtlehead »

Izambri wrote:Numida meleagris = Fr. pintade de Numidie; Cat. pintada or gallina de Guinea; Eng. helmeted guineafowl.
Meleagris gallopavo = Fr. dinde (poule d'Inde. Male: dindon); Cat. gall dindi, also indió, paó, pioc, titot; Eng. turkey.
What about Gallus gallus and Pavo cristata/P. muticus? and the rest of Phasanidae?
I KEIM HEWE IN THE ΠVEΓININΓ TA LEAWN WELX, ΠVVT NAW THE ΠVWΠVΣE FVW ΠVEINΓ HEWE IΣ VNKLEAW. THAT IΣ WAIT I LIKE TA MAKE KAWNLANΓΣ AWN THE ΣΠAWT.
TVWTLEHEAΔ

Izambri
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Izambri »

Turtlehead wrote:
Izambri wrote:Numida meleagris = Fr. pintade de Numidie; Cat. pintada or gallina de Guinea; Eng. helmeted guineafowl.
What about Gallus gallus and Pavo cristata/P. muticus? and the rest of Phasanidae?
Some good online dictionaries with the help of Wikipedia.
Un llapis mai dibuixa sense una mà.

Qwynegold
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Qwynegold »

Skomakar'n wrote:'Lätt' is a common interjection meaning something like "oh, yeah", "hell yeah" (but without the swearing) or like a positive counterpart of "no way" (it literally means 'easily'). This has made 'lettiska' ('Latvian') a funny word for me and one of my friends.
Foremost it means easy. It's funny how "four small dishes" becomes "ugly little Latvians" with Chinese accent.
linguoboy wrote:
zompist wrote:In Portuguese, a turkey is a peru. (I believe it's named for the country.)
And in Turkish, it's a hindi.
In Finnish the country is called Turkki, which also means fur.

One that I really hate is this joke:
-En svensk, en finne och en lapp skulle ro över en å, men det fanns bara plats för en person i båten, och det var hål i den. Vad skulle de göra?
-Svensken satte finnen på näsan och lappade båten med lappen och så rodde han över.

-A Swede, a Finn and a Lapponian were supposed to row over a river, but there was only place for one person in the boat, and it had a hole. What to do?
-The Swede put the Finn/zit on his nose and patched the boat with the Lapponian/patch and rowed over.
My most recent quiz:
Eurovision Song Contest 2018

Civil War Bugle
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Civil War Bugle »

Astraios wrote:
zompist wrote:Hmm, supposedly French coq d'inde ( :> dindon) refers to the West Indies. Could Turkish have calqued it on French?
More probably on the Arabic diik hindiy, which has the same meaning as the French (and is probably calqued on it, so yes, indirectly).
Hmmm, I remember being taught diik rumii by my Arabic professor. Maybe I should consult some more sources, because I was told this in an informal situation shortly before Thanksgiving one semester.

Left
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Left »

-----
Last edited by Left on Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Skomakar'n
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Skomakar'n »

Qwynegold wrote:
Skomakar'n wrote:'Lätt' is a common interjection meaning something like "oh, yeah", "hell yeah" (but without the swearing) or like a positive counterpart of "no way" (it literally means 'easily'). This has made 'lettiska' ('Latvian') a funny word for me and one of my friends.
Foremost it means easy. It's funny how "four small dishes" becomes "ugly little Latvians" with Chinese accent.
Huh? Wouldn't a Chinese accent give [z`] for the /r/?
Qwynegold wrote:
linguoboy wrote:
zompist wrote:In Portuguese, a turkey is a peru. (I believe it's named for the country.)
In Finnish the country is called Turkki, which also means fur.

One that I really hate is this joke:
-En svensk, en finne och en lapp skulle ro över en å, men det fanns bara plats för en person i båten, och det var hål i den. Vad skulle de göra?
-Svensken satte finnen på näsan och lappade båten med lappen och så rodde han över.

-A Swede, a Finn and a Lapponian were supposed to row over a river, but there was only place for one person in the boat, and it had a hole. What to do?
-The Swede put the Finn/zit on his nose and patched the boat with the Lapponian/patch and rowed over.
Hahaha. Why do you hate it?
Online dictionary for my conlang Vanga: http://royalrailway.com/tungumaalMiin/Vanga/

#undef FEMALE

I'd love for you to try my game out! Here's the forum thread about it:
http://zbb.spinnwebe.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=36688

Of an Ernst'ian one.

Shrdlu
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Shrdlu »

... and Ankara means difficult in Finnish. Somewhere in Russia there's this place called Chuvasia when translated into Swedish(Tjuvasien) is homophone with "thief-asia".

And there's a whole people called Fula in Africa. "Fula" menas "(the) ugly", in Swedish, and they speak "Fulaspråket", "(the) ugly language".
If I stop posting out of the blue it probably is because my computer and the board won't cooperate and let me log in.!

Pole, the
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Pole, the »

Similarly, in Polish it's indyk / indor.
Last edited by Pole, the on Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The conlanger formerly known as “the conlanger formerly known as Pole, the”.

If we don't study the mistakes of the future we're doomed to repeat them for the first time.

Gojera
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Gojera »

There's a scene in "The Linguists" in which one of the guys makes light of how "Birhor" sounds in English.

Chuma
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Chuma »

I'm from Götaland, so I'm a Goth.

In Swedish, the suffix -istan sounds like i stan, "in town". It's a pretty common pun in Disney comics - they go to some far away country, and it's called something-in-town.
Specifically, "Pakistan" sounds like "rabble in town".

Shrdlu
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Shrdlu »

^My personal favourite is a farmstead somewhere in Sweden named "Suntakstan".

edit: "Pa(c)k" in Swedish is more like "riff-raff".
If I stop posting out of the blue it probably is because my computer and the board won't cooperate and let me log in.!

Turtlehead
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Turtlehead »

'Ceffyl' in welsh sounds like 'careful' in English.
TVWTLEHEAΔ

Bristel
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Bristel »

Shrdlu wrote:^My personal favourite is a farmstead somewhere in Sweden named "Suntakstan".

edit: "Pa(c)k" in Swedish is more like "riff-raff".
rabble and riff-raff are nearly the same meaning, although "the rabble" are ordinary and socially inferior or uncouth. The riff-raff are disreputable or undesirable people.

While not quite what the thread is looking for, there's a town in Washington State which I used to live in called Snohomish. There was a bit of a problem when a cheerleading squad or some high school girl fans of the local teams started calling themselves the "Sno Hos".

The -mish appears in many town and river names all across the Puget Sound: Snohomish, Skykomish, Swinomish, Duwamish (the tribe which were the natives that lived around Seattle), Suquamish, etc. All are/were Lushootseed Salish-speaking tribes.
[bɹ̠ˤʷɪs.təɫ]
Nōn quālibet inīquā cupiditāte illectus hoc agō
Yo te pongo en tu lugar...
Taisc mach Daró

Qwynegold
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Qwynegold »

Skomakar'n wrote:
Qwynegold wrote:
Huh? Wouldn't a Chinese accent give [z`] for the /r/?
What, no! /r/ stereotypically becomes /l/.
Asahi wrote:
Qwynegold wrote: It's funny how "four small dishes" becomes "ugly little Latvians" with Chinese accent
Is that even possible? :oops: I can't do it even with my best Chinese accent
In Swedish that is. Fyra små rätter :> fula små letter. I once heard the waitress at a Chinese restaurant say that.
Skomakar'n wrote:
Qwynegold wrote:One that I really hate is this joke:

Hahaha. Why do you hate it?
Because! And then there's also "why are Finns afraid of Clearasil?"
My most recent quiz:

Qwynegold
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Qwynegold »

Shrdlu wrote:... and Ankara means difficult in Finnish.
More like strict. Once when I was little I asked my mom if it was cold in Turkey, and she was like "yeah, you can hear it from the name: Ankara".
Shrdlu wrote:Somewhere in Russia there's this place called Chuvasia when translated into Swedish(Tjuvasien) is homophone with "thief-asia".
And also Mordvinia (Mordvinien), "Murderwinea".
My most recent quiz:

Pole, the
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Pole, the »

In Polish, Italy is Włochy, which means also big hairs.
The conlanger formerly known as “the conlanger formerly known as Pole, the”.

If we don't study the mistakes of the future we're doomed to repeat them for the first time.

Viktor77
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Viktor77 »

Along with the turkey thing we have the whole Dutch people are from Nederlands but German people are from Deutschland.
Falgwian and Falgwia!!

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur.

Drydic
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Drydic »

Viktor77 wrote:Along with the turkey thing we have the whole Dutch people are from Nederlands but German people are from Deutschland.
It's singular in Dutch Vikky, Nederland.
Image Image
Common Zein Scratchpad & other Stuffs! OMG AN ACTUAL CONPOST WTFBBQ

Formerly known as Drydic.

linguoboy
Sanno
Sanno

Post by linguoboy »

Drydic Guy wrote:
Viktor77 wrote:Along with the turkey thing we have the whole Dutch people are from Nederlands but German people are from Deutschland.
Nederlands is the name of the language. The plural of Nederland is Nederlanden.

Viktor77
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Viktor77 »

linguoboy wrote:
Drydic Guy wrote:
Nederlands is the name of the language. The plural of Nederland is Nederlanden.
Well it's not surprising I don't know this for the exact reason I just mentioned. The weird mix up of Deutsch (Germans) to Dutch for people from the Netherlands.
Falgwian and Falgwia!!

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur.

linguoboy
Sanno
Sanno

Post by linguoboy »

Viktor77 wrote:Well it's not surprising I don't know this for the exact reason I just mentioned. The weird mix up of Deutsch (Germans) to Dutch for people from the Netherlands.
There's nothing particularly "weird" about it. As a political entity, Germany isn't even 150 years old. When it came into being, they adopted as a gentilic a term which had been around for much longer with a wider application. Basically, everyone on the Continent who spoke a West Germanic language was "dutch" (bzw. deutsch/duits/diets/deitsch/tüütsch/etc. etc.). The Dutch closest to England were the Netherlanders, so it's not surprising that the meaning of the term narrowed until it applied only to them.

Compare the evolution of welsh/waals/welsch. Its original meaning was "foreigner, generally one speaking an Italic or Celtic language". In Britain, it designates the Cymry; in the Netherlands, the French-speaking Walloons; in Switzerland, the Francophone Swiss; and so forth.