Sumimasen

Discussion of natural languages, or language in general.
Shm Jay
Avisaru
Avisaru

Sumimasen

Post by Shm Jay »

Ueno-eki-wa doko desu-ka?

I'm learning Japanese out of curiosity, using the Pimsleur audio course. I'm only on lesson 4 of Course A (30 lessons of 30 minutes each) with three courses in all (making 90 lessons). It's hard! I never realized how much cognates make things easier. With Spanish I only had to listen to each lesson once (and occasionally twice) before progressing, but with Japanese I have to listen to the lessons twice or even thrice. (There’s an old word for you.)

At least once I finish the Pimsleur courses I will have enough of a basis to go through a beginning Japanese textbook without such a steep learning curve.

Bob Johnson
Avisaru
Avisaru

Re: Sumimasen

Post by Bob Johnson »

hai? ueno ni aru ne.

Xephyr
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Xephyr »

Shm Jay wrote: It's hard! I never realized how much cognates make things easier.
It depends on the language, I think. With some languages, remembering vocab just seems to come naturally, even though they're all completely alien. But with others, it seems that nothing can keep the words from just bouncing off of and away from my brain.
"It will not come by waiting for it. It will not be said, 'Here it is,' or 'There it is.' Rather, the Kingdom of the Father is spread out upon the earth, and men do not see it."
The Gospel of Thomas

Shm Jay
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Shm Jay »

Bob Johnson wrote:hai? ueno ni aru ne.
All I recognize from this is: Yes Ueno * * isn't it? I'm only on lesson 4, and Pimsleur tends to move slowly because it’s all oral and there is a lot of repetition.

Nihongo-ga *sukoshi* wakarimasu. Demo mada jozu ja arimasen. I otenki desu-ne?

Bob Johnson
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Bob Johnson »

Shm Jay wrote:Nihongo-ga *sukoshi* wakarimasu. Demo mada jouzu ja arimasen. Ii otenki desu-ne?
this is the problem with audio-only, you miss the long vowels if you can't already hear them

zompist
Boardlord
Boardlord

Post by zompist »

Shm Jay wrote:*sukoshi*
Since you complained about the lack of cognates, you should know that you just found one!

Shm Jay
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Shm Jay »

I thought Japanese was a language isolate. What on earth would be the cognate of sukoshi, unless we’re talking about Okinawan or something like that?

treskro
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by treskro »

axhiuk.

看蝦米

Ser
Smeric
Smeric
Location: Vancouver, British Columbia / Colombie Britannique, Canada

Post by Ser »

Isn't that just a borrowing though? Or are borrowings some kind of cognates?

finlay
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by finlay »

上野駅はあそこですよ:http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=Ueno+St ... n&t=m&z=15

あそこに行きませんでしたよ。行きたいね!

zompist
Boardlord
Boardlord

Post by zompist »

Shm Jay wrote:I thought Japanese was a language isolate. What on earth would be the cognate of sukoshi, unless we’re talking about Okinawan or something like that?
Skoosh. (And Serafin is right that it's a borrowing. I was just using "cognate" informally as a word related to one you'd know.)

Shm Jay
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Shm Jay »

But it’s not a word I know. :P

con quesa
Lebom
Lebom

Post by con quesa »

I've never to my knowledge heard "skosh" used as an English word, and I don't think I would've connected it to 少し if I had.
con quesa- firm believer in the right of Spanish cheese to be female if she so chooses

"There's nothing inherently different between knowing who Venusaur is and knowing who Lady Macbeth is" -Xephyr

Bob Johnson
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Bob Johnson »

con quesa wrote:I've never to my knowledge heard "skosh" used as an English word, and I don't think I would've connected it to 少し if I had.
I think it's more prevalent in California than elsewhere. Also "a skosh" is the normal pattern, following the templates for "a little".

Soap
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Soap »

Ive heard it, just once as a spoken word, but she said it as though it was common. Though one could easily undetrstand "Just a skosh bigger" from context even if you'd never heard it before.
Sunàqʷa the Sea Lamprey says:

Nortaneous
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Nortaneous »

I've heard it, from middle-aged people in suburban Maryland. I didn't really think it was that uncommon, although it does sound grating to me, like one of those words that only soccer moms would ever use.
Siöö jandeng raiglin zåbei tandiüłåd;
nää džunnfin kukuch vklaivei sivei tåd.
Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei.

Xephyr
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Xephyr »

My grandpa uses "skosh" all the time, but I don't think I've known anyone else to say it.
"It will not come by waiting for it. It will not be said, 'Here it is,' or 'There it is.' Rather, the Kingdom of the Father is spread out upon the earth, and men do not see it."
The Gospel of Thomas

Bristel
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Bristel »

I've used it, I've heard other people use it. But its not extremely common.
[bɹ̠ˤʷɪs.təɫ]
Nōn quālibet inīquā cupiditāte illectus hoc agō
Yo te pongo en tu lugar...
Taisc mach Daró

clawgrip
Smeric
Smeric

Post by clawgrip »

finlay wrote:上野駅はあそこですよ:http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=Ueno+St ... n&t=m&z=15

あそこに行きませんでしたよ。行きたいね!
Since you live in Tokyo you're going to want to use まだ行っていません for this, to say, "I haven't been yet." 行きませんでした means, "I didn't go," and sounds like it's all over and done with and you are no longer able to go. Also, your use of よ in this case sort of makes it sound as though you are correcting someone's false impression. I would say it's not necessary in this case. Also don't forget to choose one level of politeness and stick with it! Oh, also, you'll probably want to use ここ rather than あそこ for that link. The use of よ in the link is appropriate though, since you are giving people information they clearly do not know.

I mean these only as constructive comments since I know you are studying, so I hope I am not offending you with these corrections.

finlay
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by finlay »

I'm kind of studying half-heartedly and as needed rather than actually sitting down and trying to learn it, but yeah, comments are welcome. After all, pretty much the only reason i bother on here is in the hope that someone might come along and correct me (as long as it's not excessive!). As for politeness, it's a bit fucking annoying that basically in beginners' japanese courses they only teach you the desu/masu forms, but if you look up grammar on the internet or in linguistic publications, you only find the regular forms of the verbs.... So i've kind of ended up with a mish mash of grammar that I know, some of which is polite and some not :evil:

Daistallia
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Daistallia »

Seeing as the borrowing of "skoosh" dates to the occupation/Korean war period (as with several others), it makes sense that it's more common among speakers of that generation. Ans, as most posters here are several generations removed, it's not surprising that it either seems outdated, is associated with an older generation, or is unfamiliar.

I was going to mention another one, bimbo, but it seems I was taken in by a folk etymology of it. According to said folk etymology, bimbo came from the Japanese word "bimbo" (poor), via destitute Japanese women prostituting themselves to GIs, claiming poverty. Seems it's actrually from Italian.

linguoboy
Sanno
Sanno

Post by linguoboy »

Daistallia wrote:I was going to mention another one, bimbo, but it seems I was taken in by a folk etymology of it. According to said folk etymology, bimbo came from the Japanese word "bimbo" (poor), via destitute Japanese women prostituting themselves to GIs, claiming poverty. Seems it's actrually from Italian.
It's a curious word in any case, being a contraction of bambino "little boy" that in English is perversely applied to females.

Gojera
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Gojera »

Hilariously, the top Google result for "sukoshi cognate" is this thread. I've known Japanese for years and never connected "sukoshi" with "skosh".

By far, the hardest problem with Japanese is picking up vocab. But I think that if you continue with it, you'll find that the internal logic of Japanese is simple, regular, and pretty easy to understand. Many adjectives act like verbs, the syntax of clauses is very regular and easy to understand, morphology is verb simple.

EDIT
I thought "typhoon" was borrowed from Japanese taifuu, but etymonline.com tells me that it's just a happy coincidence.

Bob Johnson
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Bob Johnson »

Gojera wrote:I thought "typhoon" was borrowed from Japanese
tycoon

Daistallia
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Daistallia »

heh - if this keeps up, I'm going to have to start questioning the etymologies of lots of words I thought I knew. :P