Resource request - list(s) of english words with IPA

Discussion of natural languages, or language in general.
The Hanged Man
Sanci
Sanci

Resource request - list(s) of english words with IPA

Post by The Hanged Man »

I'm planning an english-based conlanging project, for which I need a list of modern english words, with their pronounciations (preferably in received pronounciation). First, I wanted to use wiktionary dump, but I failed to import it to my local mysql database. I've searched for other possible resources, but I failed... maybe I've searched wrog? Anyway, I decided it probably won't hurt to ask you for additional help ;). So, here is my question:

Do you know any good online resource (a text list, a database, etc) of english words with their IPA transcriptions?

Astraios
Sumerul
Sumerul

Re: Resource request - list(s) of english words with IPA

Post by Astraios »

A dictionary.

Ser
Smeric
Smeric
Location: Vancouver, British Columbia / Colombie Britannique, Canada

Post by Ser »

Archaeopteryx wrote:I'm planning an english-based conlanging project, for which I need a list of modern english words, with their pronounciations (preferably in received pronounciation). First, I wanted to use wiktionary dump, but I failed to import it to my local mysql database. I've searched for other possible resources, but I failed... maybe I've searched wrog? Anyway, I decided it probably won't hurt to ask you for additional help ;). So, here is my question:

Do you know any good online resource (a text list, a database, etc) of english words with their IPA transcriptions?
kids are so lazy these days, preferring to ask on a forum for a list of English words with pronunciations and nothing but that. when i was young, one had to walk two or ten miles away to check one of the few dictionaries at the public library and annotate the lemmata and pronunciations needed by hand

looking towards making a descendant of English? back then there were no Sound Change Appliers and no gens and no computer languages with which to develop such things. everything, every fucking word had to be carefully and lovingly carved, one by one, sound change by sound change, as one carves every finger and nail of a masterpiece of a statue in marble. our daily questions were, "these two sound changes are in conflict, do I want to make an exception?", or "do I really want to make this word a homonym with a euphemism for making love?". not "crap the database import failed, gotta go ask for a new database to dump into the sound change applier" just as one dumps garbage into big trucks to be recycled leaving everything everything else to its own (miserable) fortune

those indeed were The Good Old Days, and those who cared anything about artificial languages, those indeed were The True Conlangers

The Hanged Man
Sanci
Sanci

Post by The Hanged Man »

Astraios wrote:A dictionary.
Thank you, captain obvoius! The reason I'm asking for an online resource is that I want to avoid creating such a list of words manually, by using a book dictionary or internet one. I wanted to use my own python script to extract such data from wiktionary dump, but I gave up because my current programming abilities wouldn't be enough, and I realised not all of the wiktionary words have phonetic data in IPA, but at least some of them use audio files.
Serafín wrote:kids are so lazy these days, preferring to ask on a forum for a list of English words with pronunciations and nothing but that. back then there were no Sound Change Appliers and no gens and no computer languages with which to develop such things. everything, every fucking word had to be carefully and lovingly carved, one by one, sound change by sound change, as one carves every finger and nail of a masterpiece of a statue in marble. our daily questions were, "these two sound changes are in conflict, do I want to make an exception?", or "do I really want to make this word a homonym with a euphemism for making love?". not "crap the database import failed, gotta go ask for a new database to dump into the sound change applier" just as one dumps garbage into big trucks to be recycled leaving everything everything else to its own (miserable) fortune
Well, I'm sure you do all the things old way, don't you?

Maybe some people find great different things in conlanging - other than "carefully and lovingly carving" words one by one, or creating list of english words one by one, to even be able to start actual language creation. I'm one of them, and it happens so that so far I had other kind of strictly theoretical questions about linguistics on this forum. It also happens that I have created some python scripts myself, to avoid losing time for something that must be done to create a conlang, and which I don't enjoy doing myself - like creating word roots or creating derivations of words from linguistic gloss representing their etymology, for example. And finally - some people aren't kids anymore, and have some other work to do. Probably, especially those people want to avoid doing time-consuming things theirselves, and prefer to leave it to, for example, to python scripts, reducing time needed for generatig words of daughter language. And do you think these people wouldn't "care" for their words, their homophones and conflicting sound changes? That can be done even easier, when one has whole possible lexicon of daughter language in short time.
Serafín wrote:those indeed were The Good Old Days, and those who cared anything about artificial languages, those indeed were The True Conlangers
You realise that all that nostalgia and complaining about sound change appliers and "lazy kids" could be applied to all of modern inventions, don't you? It apperas we are becoming less and less "True People", century by century - because our ancestors had to hunt their prey themselves, and they also had to suffer from lack of all other modern inventions.

It looks like I have to create such a list myself, too. And don't treat me like I've asked others to do this work for me - I haven't, all I asked for is showing me an online resource, ready to use, and perhaps one some of you use yourself.

Anyway, thanks for answers. I have definitely learnt something from them.

Astraios
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Astraios »

In other words, you're being lazy.

Rory
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Rory »

How dare people not want to do lots of work, especially when others have done it! My, it's scandalous! When I was a child, why, I re-invented the wheel three times a week!

A good resource is CELEX: http://celex.mpi.nl/
It's a little opaque, though, if you don't know how to use it. Here's how to get all the words:
Click "create lexicon", then "English wordforms" (or lemmas, if you like).
Then select "Word" from the orthography column, and "PhonSAM" (for X-SAMPA-like transcription*) in the phonology column. Click ok.
Leave the next page blank, and click ok again.
Decide what format you want the output to be in, and click ok again.
The page with your results will take a while to load, as it trawls through the database of all the English words. The transcription is in RP.

Hope this helps!

*The diphthongs are transcribed as numbers; you should be able to figure it out after looking at it for a while.
The man of science is perceiving and endowed with vision whereas he who is ignorant and neglectful of this development is blind. The investigating mind is attentive, alive; the mind callous and indifferent is deaf and dead. - 'Abdu'l-Bahá

Left
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Left »

-----
Last edited by Left on Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Skomakar'n
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Skomakar'n »

Boo hoo and bawwwww.
Online dictionary for my conlang Vanga: http://royalrailway.com/tungumaalMiin/Vanga/

#undef FEMALE

I'd love for you to try my game out! Here's the forum thread about it:
http://zbb.spinnwebe.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=36688

Of an Ernst'ian one.

Rin
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Rin »

Archaeopteryx wrote:I'm planning an english-based conlanging project, for which I need a list of modern english words, with their pronounciations (preferably in received pronounciation). First, I wanted to use wiktionary dump, but I failed to import it to my local mysql database. I've searched for other possible resources, but I failed... maybe I've searched wrog? Anyway, I decided it probably won't hurt to ask you for additional help ;). So, here is my question:

It's not in IPA, but if you're working on an English-based conlang, you might find my current side-project useful . . . maybe. viewtopic.php?f=12&t=40090

Of course, if you'd be willing to help with it, too, that'd be awesome. :-D
凛より
I speak English. 日本語も話せます。
Author: A Dictionary of Japanese Counting Words 日本語数詞英和辞典 (Kindle)

Torco
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Torco »

I want the same thing, just with spanish
:P

Torco
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Torco »

Astraios wrote:In other words, you're being lazy.
what do you have against not wanting to rediscover the wheel? you know what they said to the first guy who rode a horse? "you lazy bastard, can't you walk?"

masako
Smeric
Smeric

Post by masako »

Torco wrote:I want the same thing, just with spanish
http://es.wiktionary.org/wiki/verg%C3%BCenza

Torco
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Torco »

sano wrote:
Torco wrote:I want the same thing, just with spanish
http://es.wiktionary.org/wiki/verg%C3%BCenza
sorry, gramps, get with the times!

tho after searching, I think I'll have to compile it meself.