Evolving Language Experiment Experiment [RESULTS!]

Discussion of natural languages, or language in general.
brandrinn
Avisaru
Avisaru

Evolving Language Experiment Experiment [RESULTS!]

Post by brandrinn »

So this is an idea based on the evolving language experiment that Terra brought up in his (her?) own thread. This is sort of a "proof of concept," in that it is a miniature version of the proper experiment, just to see what methods will work best when doing it on a larger scale.

A group of people will be shown a bunch of pictures of weird creatures that I drew in paint. In each "round," a person will be shown a picture which has been named by another participant, and then another, unnamed picture, which they will then need to assign a name. After they name this picture, in the next round another participant will see the name they gave to that picture, and another, unnamed picture.

Basically, it goes like this: You see a picture of a grizzly bear with the word "DORF" under it, and a picture of a polar bear with no name. You name the polar bear "Gorf," and send it back to me. In the next round, a different participant will be given the polar bear/"GORF" combination, and be asked to name a picture of a black bear or something. Hopefully over time patterns will emerge, even though it will be impossible for any of the participants to do this deliberately, as they cannot communicate with one another. There will be eight rounds in total, with each round hopefully lasting no more than a day or two (or longer if people are really busy).

In the original experiment, participants thought they were learning a real language, and so were not consciously trying to create patterns, or even recognize patterns, but merely memorize words (the twist being that they were given words they'd never seen before, and thus what they thought was their memory was actually their own invention). That's not the case for you, since you know you're creating new words. But whatever, it will be fun to see what you come up with.

So I just need a few people (hopefully at least four) to look at a picture with a name, and then name another picture, eight times. This will probably happen via PM, but don't PM me until the experiment starts. Just tell me here if you're willing to help out.

EDIT: We have now started, with Esthelmien, Ceresz, Lyra, and Solarius. But We can easily add extra people if need be.
Last edited by brandrinn on Tue May 01, 2012 10:04 am, edited 4 times in total.
[quote="Nortaneous"]Is South Africa better off now than it was a few decades ago?[/quote]

Lyra
Lebom
Lebom

Re: Evolving Language Experiment Experiment (Need Participan

Post by Lyra »

Interesting... I'm ready to help.

~Lyra
"In the liver we trust."
From yonder, in the land of TWC.

Radius Solis
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Radius Solis »

I would so be offering to help if I could rely on being able to read (it comes and goes).

I look forward to the results with interest!

brandrinn
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by brandrinn »

Radius Solis wrote:I would so be offering to help if I could rely on being able to read (it comes and goes).

I look forward to the results with interest!
I could use a REALLY big font.
But either way, get well soon.
[quote="Nortaneous"]Is South Africa better off now than it was a few decades ago?[/quote]

Solarius
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Solarius »

I could do it.
Yo jo moy garsmichte pa

sirred
Lebom
Lebom

Post by sirred »

Wouldn't this be contaminated by how English categories?
In every U.S. presidential election between 1976 and 2004, the Republican nominee for president or for vice president was either a Dole or a Bush.

Terra
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Terra »

I could use a REALLY big font.
Radius is aware that one can set the default font size, and zoom in and out freely in any half-decent browser, right?
So this is an idea based on the evolving language experiment that Terra brought up in his (her?) own thread.
"her" is fine, for now.
A group of people will be shown a bunch of pictures of weird creatures that I drew in paint.
I was thinking of using people (young, old, male, female, etc) instead of shapes. I'm not sure.

*Ceresz
Lebom
Lebom

Post by *Ceresz »

This sounds like fun. I'd like to join, if possible.

brandrinn
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by brandrinn »

Terra wrote:
A group of people will be shown a bunch of pictures of weird creatures that I drew in paint.
I was thinking of using people (young, old, male, female, etc) instead of shapes. I'm not sure.
You can use any criteria you like later on. Human faces sounds like a good idea. I used things that don't exist just for fun.

Radius Solis
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Radius Solis »

Terra wrote: Radius is aware that one can set the default font size, and zoom in and out freely in any half-decent browser, right?
Yes, but thanks. :)

Haplogy
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Haplogy »

Ooh, this sounds interesting. I'll join in, if you don't mind, that is.
Knowledge is power, and power corrupts. So study hard and be evil!

brandrinn
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by brandrinn »

OK, the first four participants have been PMed with their images. This round there is only one, but next time there will be two. Just think of an appropriate name for that ugly little creature and send it back to me. I would like to have your responses back fairly quick, but if there is some reason why you can't get to your computer for a day or two, let me know.

I would also like the answers to follow this basic list of phones:

[p b t d k g m n f s h w l r j]
With a basic syllable structure of (C)(C)V(V)(C)(C) where initial clusters must have increasing sonority, and coda clusters decreasing sonority.

Maybe dictating the phonology ruins some of the fun, so I encourage you to bend or break the rules in that regard as much as you like, especially after the first couple of rounds. I just want each participant to know what sort of range of sounds should be at their disposal.

brandrinn
Avisaru
Avisaru

Re: Evolving Language Experiment Experiment

Post by brandrinn »

Because it makes the math easier, I've decided to show you two images each round. You'll see two, and name two. Therefore, in this round, round one, you'll only see two unnamed creatures and give them both names. I'm sending the second one to each of you now.

Mr. Z
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Mr. Z »

I'd like to participate as well! This sounds cool.
Přemysl wrote:
Kereb wrote:they are nerdissimus inter nerdes
Oh god, we truly are nerdy. My first instinct was "why didn't he just use sunt and have it all in Latin?".
Languages I speak fluently
English, עברית

Languages I am studying
العربية, 日本語

Conlangs
Athonian

Vuvuzela
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Vuvuzela »

I should also like to participate

Trailsend
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Trailsend »

brandrinn wrote:In each "round," a person will be shown a picture which has been named by another participant, and then another, unnamed picture, which they will then need to assign a name. After they name this picture, in the next round another participant will see the name they gave to that picture, and another, unnamed picture.
I suspect you'd get more interesting results if people got to see more than one picture in each round?

brandrinn
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by brandrinn »

Mr Z and Vuv: Cool, I'll fit you into the next round.

And yes, each round you will be given two named pictures, and asked to give names to two unnamed pictures. There is a limited set of pictures, so after the two or three rounds you will start to see pictures repeat occasionally. Hopefully you won't recognize them. Right now I'm just waiting on Esmelthien's second name and then round two, the first "proper" round, will start.

brandrinn
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by brandrinn »

Round Two images sent to four players. To the two new players, sorry, I'll send yours later today.

Turtlehead
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Turtlehead »

I'll give it a go. I'm in.
I KEIM HEWE IN THE ΠVEΓININΓ TA LEAWN WELX, ΠVVT NAW THE ΠVWΠVΣE FVW ΠVEINΓ HEWE IΣ VNKLEAW. THAT IΣ WAIT I LIKE TA MAKE KAWNLANΓΣ AWN THE ΣΠAWT.
TVWTLEHEAΔ

brandrinn
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by brandrinn »

I'm sending out round 3 now, which will finally incorporate our new participants, seven in all. The math involved was a bit tricky, but we'll manage.

I'm keeping a record of how the images are circulating around for Terra's sake. But now I wonder how to present the data once it's finished. I think I might post pictures of each creature, and then all the names that it's been given each round, in a row.

brandrinn
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by brandrinn »

Round 3 will be done once *Ceresz sends his in. I'm already seeing some patterns emerge, so I'll probably stop the experiment after another two rounds.

(BTW, Solarius, you sent me the same names as the creatures you were given. Did you mean to do that?)

Solarius
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Solarius »

brandrinn wrote:Round 3 will be done once *Ceresz sends his in. I'm already seeing some patterns emerge, so I'll probably stop the experiment after another two rounds.

(BTW, Solarius, you sent me the same names as the creatures you were given. Did you mean to do that?)
Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't. I'll fix it.
Yo jo moy garsmichte pa

Terra
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Terra »

I'm keeping a record of how the images are circulating around for Terra's sake. But now I wonder how to present the data once it's finished. I think I might post pictures of each creature, and then all the names that it's been given each round, in a row.
A spreadsheet that lists each animal and their features, and then the words applied to it in each generation would be nice. (I've not seen the animals though, so I don't know if listing the features thing would work.)

Concerning my experiment, how many people would be interested in it? As I have it planned now, it would be larger than Brandrinn's; Each person would receive half (14) of the pictures to train/learn, and then be asked to label all (27) of them.

Also, I thought about using faces, and might still, but I can't draw hair with a mouse worth a damn. Simple shapes are easier, and I've already created them.

*Ceresz
Lebom
Lebom

Post by *Ceresz »

How many rounds are left? It looks like I'm gonna be busy for about a week starting Sunday or Monday.

brandrinn
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by brandrinn »

Well, crap. I'll send out the fourth round today (Saturday), so I'll just skip you, *Ceresz. That still leaves us with six participants. I think two more rounds will be enough, then I'll publish the results.