Unknown sound

Discussion of natural languages, or language in general.
Kezdő
Sanci
Sanci

Unknown sound

Post by Kezdő »

Whilst reading through my print version of the LCK, I noticed that The Zomp made reference to one amateur conlang with a sound described as "midway between [n] and [m]." You'd think they meant [ɱ] at first, but I got to thinking at first that it meant an entirely different sound altogether. I've searched the IPA up and down and inside out, and as far as I know this sound simply does not occur naturally. However, I've been quite able to pronounce it.

So think of a nasal consonant. While you hold your lips as if pronouncing [m], you also touch your tongue to the dental area like [n]. It sounds a bit like "mn". (But don't be mistaken - it's a single consonant, not simply a doubly articulated thing.) Now, if the IPA has no characters for it then what do I use to represent it? Also, what's the technical term for this sound?

Nortaneous
Sumerul
Sumerul

Re: Unknown sound

Post by Nortaneous »

That's a doubly-articulated consonant, a labial-alveolar, written n͡m.

And yes, it occurs naturally.
Siöö jandeng raiglin zåbei tandiüłåd;
nää džunnfin kukuch vklaivei sivei tåd.
Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei.

Xephyr
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Xephyr »

And yes, it is "simply a doubly articulated thing". "Holding your lips as if pronouncing [m]" while also "touching your tongue to the dental area like [n]" is double-articulation.
"It will not come by waiting for it. It will not be said, 'Here it is,' or 'There it is.' Rather, the Kingdom of the Father is spread out upon the earth, and men do not see it."
The Gospel of Thomas

Herr Dunkel
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Herr Dunkel »

Tho ɱ is a nice sound too, and doesn't require an entire series of coarticulations that are otherwise pesky and retarded
sano wrote:
To my dearest Darkgamma,
http://www.dazzlejunction.com/greetings/thanks/thank-you-bear.gif
Sincerely,
sano

Radius Solis
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Radius Solis »

Perhaps by "doubly articulated", you meant articulated in sequence? I.e. that what you describe is not articulated in sequence, but rather together? This is not the usual use of that term, but it's the only meaning I can think of that would make your sentence correct. And yes, a consonant can have two articulations and still be a single consonant; this is transcribed with a tie-bar.

Kezdő
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Kezdő »

Radius Solis wrote:Perhaps by "doubly articulated", you meant articulated in sequence? I.e. that what you describe is not articulated in sequence, but rather together? This is not the usual use of that term, but it's the only meaning I can think of that would make your sentence correct. And yes, a consonant can have two articulations and still be a single consonant; this is transcribed with a tie-bar.
Uh, yeah, I think. So doubly articulated means simultaneous? And it does occur naturally? Well, I'll be darned! Of course, the chances of me knowing about Yélî Dnye were pretty low.

Alright, thanks so much for the answers, guys! Behold, I am enlightened now!

Pole, the
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Pole, the »

Ša-Par-Artavak wrote:So doubly articulated means simultaneous?
Yep. The same concerns e.g. [kʷ] or [pʲ].
Exceptions are sounds like [t͜s] or [ʔʰ], where the first component is a stop and the second one is a fricative, they obviously can't be pronounced simultaneously.
The fricative element then occurs directly after the stop element (when normally the plosion would happen).
The conlanger formerly known as “the conlanger formerly known as Pole, the”.

If we don't study the mistakes of the future we're doomed to repeat them for the first time.

Nortaneous
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Nortaneous »

Are secondary articulations considered a subset of double articulations? I was under the impression that they aren't, but what do I know.

Also, does [ʔʰ] actually occur in any natlangs, or is it just a Dumb Conlang Thing like ɧ and using thorn everywhere?

Pole, the
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Pole, the »

Sorry, they both are types of co-articulation.
The conlanger formerly known as “the conlanger formerly known as Pole, the”.

If we don't study the mistakes of the future we're doomed to repeat them for the first time.

Drydic
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Drydic »

Nortaneous wrote:Are secondary articulations considered a subset of double articulations? I was under the impression that they aren't, but what do I know.

Also, does [ʔʰ] actually occur in any natlangs, or is it just a Dumb Conlang Thing like ɧ and using thorn everywhere?
I've seen it somewhere, though for the life of me I can't remember exactly where. Probably North American though.
Image Image
Common Zein Scratchpad & other Stuffs! OMG AN ACTUAL CONPOST WTFBBQ

Formerly known as Drydic.

Miekko
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Miekko »

Nortaneous wrote:Are secondary articulations considered a subset of double articulations? I was under the impression that they aren't, but what do I know.

There's nothing stupid about [ʔʰ] - it's just as likely as with any other stop that voicing onset time would be non-zero for the next sound.
< Cev> My people we use cars. I come from a very proud car culture-- every part of the car is used, nothing goes to waste. When my people first saw the car, generations ago, we called it šuŋka wakaŋ-- meaning "automated mobile".

zompist
Boardlord
Boardlord

Post by zompist »

Note that the point of the comment in the LCK is that my friend didn't know anything about phonetics, so there is no answer to the question of what he meant. He was just combining letters as naive conlangers do.

(At least I think so. He may be in Chicago this year so I may see if he can produce his sound. If he really had a specific sound in mind, my guess is [ɱ] since I don't think an English monolingual would readily come up with co-articulation.)

Aurora Rossa
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Aurora Rossa »

He could also have been referring to the linguolabial point of articulation, where you put the tip of your tongue on the upper lip. One could describe that as having qualities between /m/ and /n/ although your mileage may vary there.
"There was a particular car I soon came to think of as distinctly St. Louis-ish: a gigantic white S.U.V. with a W. bumper sticker on it for George W. Bush."

Kezdő
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Kezdő »

zompist wrote:Note that the point of the comment in the LCK is that my friend didn't know anything about phonetics, so there is no answer to the question of what he meant. He was just combining letters as naive conlangers do.

(At least I think so. He may be in Chicago this year so I may see if he can produce his sound. If he really had a specific sound in mind, my guess is [ɱ] since I don't think an English monolingual would readily come up with co-articulation.)
I'm an English monolingual and co-articulation was the first thought I had. Then again, I'm also a conlanger.

By the way, how's progress on the LCK2? Swimmingly, I suppose?

zompist
Boardlord
Boardlord

Post by zompist »

Pretty good, thanks. I feel it needs about 30 more pages though. :)

Nortaneous
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Nortaneous »

Miekko wrote:There's nothing stupid about [ʔʰ] - it's just as likely as with any other stop that voicing onset time would be non-zero for the next sound.
The only Google results for it that aren't random data or conlangs are this, which also claims the existence of a nasalized glottal stop, and this, which claims some dialect of Chinese has it corresponding to a velar stop in others.

Miekko
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Miekko »

Nortaneous wrote:
Miekko wrote:There's nothing stupid about [ʔʰ] - it's just as likely as with any other stop that voicing onset time would be non-zero for the next sound.
The only Google results for it that aren't random data or conlangs are this, which also claims the existence of a nasalized glottal stop, and this, which claims some dialect of Chinese has it corresponding to a velar stop in others.
There's probably not that much of a point in pointing out that the glottal stop is aspirated if, say, all voiceless stops are aspirated. Pure phonetics isn't that interesting really, I guess?
< Cev> My people we use cars. I come from a very proud car culture-- every part of the car is used, nothing goes to waste. When my people first saw the car, generations ago, we called it šuŋka wakaŋ-- meaning "automated mobile".

ná'oolkiłí
Lebom
Lebom

Post by ná'oolkiłí »

No, the reason [ʔʰ] probably doesn't really exist is because the glottal stop operates differently from other stops. During the production of [t], for instance, the vocal folds are completely open, even during the period the tongue creates closure at the teeth/alveolar ridge. The VFs remain open for a period after this closure is released until they are brought together to allow them to vibrate (to produce a vowel, say). The manipulation of the length of this period of voicelessness after the burst (ie, VOT) is the difference between [t] and [tʰ]. To produce [ʔ], though, the VFs themselves create the closure (in this way, then, [ʔ] can be seen as a type of phonation). The VFs vibrate when they are close but not closed, so to begin a vowel after a glottal stop, the VFs need simply to abduct slightly. For [ʔʰ], they would go from completely closed to completely open to close and vibrating—not an inconceivable articulatory gesture, but one that is quite different from what goes on for the other stops. Also worth noting is what [ʔ] vs [t] look like on a spectrogram. A [t], no matter speech rate, is almost always a period of silence—a blank column surrounded by sounds with nontrivial intensity. [ʔ] can appear like this, but often, especially as speech rate increases, it is realized instead as a period of irregular and widely spaced glottal pulses (vibrations escaping the VFs) not unlike what creaky voice looks like.

TLDR: [ʔʰ] doesn't really exist because [ʔ] is different from other stops.

Qwynegold
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Qwynegold »

Yikes! I have /?_j/ and /?_w/ in a conlang project. Are these possible?
My most recent quiz:
Eurovision Song Contest 2018

Miekko
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Miekko »

Qwynegold wrote:Yikes! I have /?_j/ and /?_w/ in a conlang project. Are these possible?
To me, it seems rather likely that the labial or palatal components would be perceived as the primary thing for those, and the ?-part would be some kind of secondary thing.

Solarius
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Solarius »

Qwynegold wrote:Yikes! I have /?_j/ and /?_w/ in a conlang project. Are these possible?
I think Hausa has the former.
Yo jo moy garsmichte pa

Aurora Rossa
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Aurora Rossa »

Miekko wrote:To me, it seems rather likely that the labial or palatal components would be perceived as the primary thing for those, and the ?-part would be some kind of secondary thing.
Yeah, although it depends on the linguistic context as well. If the language features glottalized resonants otherwise, it would make sense to analyze them as glottalized /j/ and /w/. If the language features extensive palatal and labial coarticulation instead, one could reasonably analyze them as palatalized and labialized glottal stops. I recall reading that both interpretations have appeared, with one favored for some language families and the other favored for other ones.
"There was a particular car I soon came to think of as distinctly St. Louis-ish: a gigantic white S.U.V. with a W. bumper sticker on it for George W. Bush."

ná'oolkiłí
Lebom
Lebom

Post by ná'oolkiłí »

Yeah, in languages that have things like that there's apparently disagreement about the best way to analyze them: I've seen all of [ʔʷ w' wˀ w̰]. Phonologically I'd label them what makes most sense... do they pattern with other labialized/palatized stops or ejectives or glottalized resonants? Just be aware their phonetic implementation might not exactly line up with your label (but that's true of any phoneme).

Miekko
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Miekko »

ná'oolkiłí wrote:Yeah, in languages that have things like that there's apparently disagreement about the best way to analyze them: I've seen all of [ʔʷ w' wˀ w̰]. Phonologically I'd label them what makes most sense... do they pattern with other labialized/palatized stops or ejectives or glottalized resonants? Just be aware their phonetic implementation might not exactly line up with your label (but that's true of any phoneme).
Could you tell us which languages those are supposed to exist in?

Nortaneous
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Nortaneous »

Yes.

There's probably not going to be a contrast in any one language between, say, /ʔʷ/ and /w̰/ (note that w' and are just different ways of writing , depending on how you're analyzing them), but that's mostly just because the inventory would have to be huge to support the series necessary to keep those stable.

/ʔʷ/ is attested in 'Auhelawa, Inor, Adyghe, Lao, etc.
/ʔʲ/ seems to be mostly an areal feature of languages spoken in/around Nigeria, such as Hausa, Fula, and Cipu, which has a very strange set of glottals. Part of that is probably transcription, though; it seems to be common in East Asia, although there it's written /ʔj/, even if it's analyzed as one consonant.
I'm too lazy to go through the rest of them but anything with <ˀ> probably 1. is North American and 2. patterns with ejectives.