Is this a reasonable sound change?

Discussion of natural languages, or language in general.
2+3 clusivity
Avisaru
Avisaru

Is this a reasonable sound change?

Post by 2+3 clusivity »

Hey all, any opinions on this sound change are appreciated.

/c/ ---> /ts**/
/j*/ ---> /dz**/

*palatal voiced stop

**laminal aleovelar

I assume it would not be difficult, but you never know.
linguoboy wrote:So that's what it looks like when the master satirist is moistened by his own moutarde.

Torco
Smeric
Smeric

Re: Is this a reasonable sound change?

Post by Torco »

you mean

c/ts/_(laminal alveolar), as in a c turns into a ts before a palatal alveolar?

I don't really understand.

linguoboy
Sanno
Sanno

Post by linguoboy »

2+3 clusivity wrote:Hey all, any opinions on this sound change are appreciated.

/c/ ---> /ts**/
/j*/ ---> /dz**/
It would be counterintuitive in palatal environments.

2+3 clusivity
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by 2+3 clusivity »

no, simply: /c/ turns into /ts/

Edit: the original * was merely to show I wasn't using j's IPA value.
linguoboy wrote:So that's what it looks like when the master satirist is moistened by his own moutarde.

Aurora Rossa
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Aurora Rossa »

Those changes seem pretty reasonable to me and I have used them in my own conlanging projects from time to time. Palatal stops often shift to affricates and many languages merge hushed and hissed sibilants, so it seems pretty natural to me. I would expect the resulting phonemes to retain palatalized allophones in palatal environments, however.
"There was a particular car I soon came to think of as distinctly St. Louis-ish: a gigantic white S.U.V. with a W. bumper sticker on it for George W. Bush."

Torco
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Torco »

yeah, like that ts still being tS before high vowels or sumin'

Travis B.
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Travis B. »

linguoboy wrote:
2+3 clusivity wrote:Hey all, any opinions on this sound change are appreciated.

/c/ ---> /ts**/
/j*/ ---> /dz**/
It would be counterintuitive in palatal environments.
It has happened, though. Something like /c/ or /kʲ/ did indeed turn into something like /ts/ in parts of Romance, particularly Old French (and similar changes showed up elsewhere, e.g. Old Castilian); this sort of change is also reflected in Romance and Latinate loans into High German.
Dibotahamdn duthma jallni agaynni ra hgitn lakrhmi.
Amuhawr jalla vowa vta hlakrhi hdm duthmi xaja.
Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro.

Ambrisio
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Ambrisio »

In Sanskrit च was pronounced /c/ and it shifted to /ts/ in Marathi.

installer_swan
Sanci
Sanci

Post by installer_swan »

Ambrisio wrote:In Sanskrit च was pronounced /c/ and it shifted to /ts/ in Marathi.
Can you give an example for this?
..- ... ..- --.- .. .-. --- -..-

linguoboy
Sanno
Sanno

Post by linguoboy »

Travis B. wrote:It has happened, though. Something like /c/ or /kʲ/ did indeed turn into something like /ts/ in parts of Romance, particularly Old French (and similar changes showed up elsewhere, e.g. Old Castilian); this sort of change is also reflected in Romance and Latinate loans into High German.
What's the evidence for [c] as an intermediate stage here?

Ser
Smeric
Smeric
Location: Vancouver, British Columbia / Colombie Britannique, Canada

Post by Ser »

Well, Penny in the book you love hypothesized an intermediate [tʃ] state between [k] and [ts], simply because it's in the middle of those two and Italian has it.

Classical Latin caelum [kaɛlũ] > [kaɛlu] > [kɛlu] > [tʃɛlu](?) > [tsɛlu] > (palatization of [t] into [tʃ] when preceded by /i/ takes place here, so possible earlier [tʃ] > [ts] doesn't affect any of these new [tʃ]) > Old Spanish çielo [tsjɛlo]. (He doesn't give a specific place for the merger of final and [o] though, may have occurred earlier than this.)

linguoboy
Sanno
Sanno

Post by linguoboy »

Serafín wrote:Well, Penny in the book you love hypothesized an intermediate [tʃ] state between [k] and [ts], simply because it's in the middle of those two and Italian has it.
But that won't work for Gallo-Romance which has /k/ > [c] (> [ʧ] > [ʃ]) before /a/. And I don't need to conjecture [c] as an intermediate stage here because it's preserved in Rhaeto-Romance (e.g. Surselvan [caun] "dog").

Ser
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Ser »

linguoboy wrote:
Serafín wrote:Well, Penny in the book you love hypothesized an intermediate [tʃ] state between [k] and [ts], simply because it's in the middle of those two and Italian has it.
But that won't work for Gallo-Romance which has /k/ > [c] (> [ʧ] > [ʃ]) before /a/. And I don't need to conjecture [c] as an intermediate stage here because it's preserved in Rhaeto-Romance (e.g. Surselvan [caun] "dog").
But just like it's hypothetically speaking possible to place it in the evolution of Latin into Old Spanish, maybe it's a question of timing, where [k] maybe became [ʧ] and then became [ts] all before [k] became ([c]?) [ʧ] in Old French.

linguoboy
Sanno
Sanno

Post by linguoboy »

Serafín wrote:But just like it's hypothetically speaking possible to place it in the evolution of Latin into Old Spanish, maybe it's a question of timing, where [k] maybe became [ʧ] and then became [ts] all before [k] became ([c]?) [ʧ] in Old French.
Maybe it is, but if so let's see the evidence.

Ser
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Ser »

I've never heard of any evidence, Penny himself presented it as purely conjectural. (I'm arguing it's possible to think such a thing, though I don't believe myself in it.)

2+3 clusivity
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by 2+3 clusivity »

installer_swan wrote:
Ambrisio wrote:In Sanskrit च was pronounced /c/ and it shifted to /ts/ in Marathi.
Okay, I've had some time and looked this up.

Apparently /c/ -> /ts/ is a common shift in NIA languages like Marathi. Many keep a /c/ allophone before front vowels and /j/. Marathi apparently separated into both /ts/ and /c/ independent of surrounding sounds via borrowing. The Indo-Aryan Languages, Masica, p. 94.

Compare /ca:r/ "four" and /tsa:ra:/ "fodder". I assume the "r"s in his text are alveolar flaps if you care. Id.

In several other NIA languages /tr/ -> /c/ providing a contrast with /ts/.

Whimemsz
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Whimemsz »

Looking at that source on Google Books, Marathi isn't actually a good example, because as you say the situation has been complicated by dialect mixture and the author implies that Marathi retains a palatal allophone in the environment of front vowels. However, he does give some examples of languages where /c/ has shifted to /ts/ (without, judging from his discussion, retaining a palatal allophone): "Nepali, Eastern and Northern dialects of Bengali (Dacca, Maimansing, Rajshahi), the Lamani and Northwestern Marwari dialects of Rajasthani, the Kagani dialect of 'Northern Lahnda', Kumauni, and many West Pahari dialects (not, however, the Chamba dialects, Mandeali, Jaunsari, or Sirmauri)."

EDIT: An example from Nepali (taken from here and here) would be: pɔstsim "west" (cf. Sanskrit paścima). Also, tsinhɔ "mark/punctuation" (cf. Sanskrit cihna).
Last edited by Whimemsz on Tue May 08, 2012 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nortaneous
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Nortaneous »

didn't this happen in some slavic langs that had like 267942379423 different waves of palatalization
Siöö jandeng raiglin zåbei tandiüłåd;
nää džunnfin kukuch vklaivei sivei tåd.
Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei.

tezcatlip0ca
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by tezcatlip0ca »

Related question.

Is it possible for /k/ to palatalize in two different ways, depending on the following vowel? For example, I have /ke kɨ ki ky kjV/ going to /tse tsɨ tʃi tʃy tsV/, and although /ɡ/ follows the same pattern before vowels, /ɡjV/ > /dʒV/. Also, /tjV djV θjV ðjV sjV zjV/ > /tsV dzV tjV djV ʃV ʒV/. But the real problem, /jV/ and /iˈV/ are contrastive, and after /tʃiˈV dʒiˈV/ simplifies to /ˈtʃV ˈdʒV/, remaining /iˈV/ goes to /iˈjV/, and a few sound changes later, intervocalic /j/ turns to /ʑ/. Anyway, is that too many sibilants?
The Conlanger Formerly Known As Aiďos

Whimemsz
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Whimemsz »

It's not unrealistic to have different types of palatalization in different environments, no (see the development of Slavic for a well-known real-world example). And no, that's not an unreasonably large number of sibilants.

Travis B.
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Travis B. »

linguoboy wrote:
Travis B. wrote:It has happened, though. Something like /c/ or /kʲ/ did indeed turn into something like /ts/ in parts of Romance, particularly Old French (and similar changes showed up elsewhere, e.g. Old Castilian); this sort of change is also reflected in Romance and Latinate loans into High German.
What's the evidence for [c] as an intermediate stage here?
Not [c], but I have seen [kʲ] posited as an intermediate stage, and for this purpose the two might as well be equivalent.
Dibotahamdn duthma jallni agaynni ra hgitn lakrhmi.
Amuhawr jalla vowa vta hlakrhi hdm duthmi xaja.
Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro.

installer_swan
Sanci
Sanci

Post by installer_swan »

2+3 clusivity wrote:
installer_swan wrote:
Okay, I've had some time and looked this up.

Apparently /c/ -> /ts/ is a common shift in NIA languages like Marathi. Many keep a /c/ allophone before front vowels and /j/. Marathi apparently separated into both /ts/ and /c/ independent of surrounding sounds via borrowing. The Indo-Aryan Languages, Masica, p. 94.

Compare /ca:r/ "four" and /tsa:ra:/ "fodder". I assume the "r"s in his text are alveolar flaps if you care. Id.

In several other NIA languages /tr/ -> /c/ providing a contrast with /ts/.
Very interesting, I have some passing familiarity with spoken Marathi, and can sort of parse written texts using cognates with Hindi/Sanskrit but I never realised that ths /ts/ is sometimes rendered as [च] in the orthography. Somehow, I'd always assumed it would be [त्स]. Thanks for pointing that out!
..- ... ..- --.- .. .-. --- -..-

Miekko
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Miekko »

Jabechasqvi wrote:Those changes seem pretty reasonable to me and I have used them in my own conlanging projects from time to time. Palatal stops often shift to affricates and many languages merge hushed and hissed sibilants, so it seems pretty natural to me. I would expect the resulting phonemes to retain palatalized allophones in palatal environments, however.
any component can be lost, though, so why the palatalized allophones need to be retained is a mystery.
< Cev> My people we use cars. I come from a very proud car culture-- every part of the car is used, nothing goes to waste. When my people first saw the car, generations ago, we called it šuŋka wakaŋ-- meaning "automated mobile".

spats
Lebom
Lebom

Post by spats »

Aiďos wrote:I have /ke kɨ ki ky kjV/ going to /tse tsɨ tʃi tʃy tsV/
Didn't/doesn't Chinese do something like this?