"[H]is voice...[sounded] like two people speaking in unison"

Discussion of natural languages, or language in general.
ayyub
Sanci
Sanci

"[H]is voice...[sounded] like two people speaking in unison"

Post by ayyub »

I have a question for y'all, brought on by something I read in a novel:
"Leng was the kind of person who stayed with you long after he was gone. And yet, you know, it was his voice I remember most. It was low, resonant, strongly accented, with the peculiar quality of sounding like two people speaking in unison." (The Cabinet of Curiosities, p.
What could this possibly mean, beyond the obvious (by which I mean, beyond "sounding like two people speaking in unison")? Is this a phenomenon, or is it just artistic imagination?
Last edited by ayyub on Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ulrike Meinhof wrote:The merger is between /8/ and /9/, merging into /8/. Seeing as they're just one number apart, that's not too strange.

Aurora Rossa
Smeric
Smeric

Re: "[H]is voice...[sounded] like two people speaking in uni

Post by Aurora Rossa »

What kind of novel? What was it called?
"There was a particular car I soon came to think of as distinctly St. Louis-ish: a gigantic white S.U.V. with a W. bumper sticker on it for George W. Bush."

ayyub
Sanci
Sanci

Post by ayyub »

http://www.amazon.com/The-Cabinet-Curio ... 446611239/

The authors are great researchers and don't often just make stuff up (though sometimes it's simplified for the wide audiences), but occasionally they do.
Ulrike Meinhof wrote:The merger is between /8/ and /9/, merging into /8/. Seeing as they're just one number apart, that's not too strange.

tiramisu
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by tiramisu »

Welcome back, come visit in #isharia (sorcery.net).

Also, it sounds like it could be some Vietnamese tone?

Miekko
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Miekko »

Even when unison, there can be differences in the distribution of energy at different frequencies. Voices aren't things that in usual use have harmonic overtones.
< Cev> My people we use cars. I come from a very proud car culture-- every part of the car is used, nothing goes to waste. When my people first saw the car, generations ago, we called it šuŋka wakaŋ-- meaning "automated mobile".

Pthagnar
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Pthagnar »

have you never heard a recording where somebody has overdubbed their own voice on top of themselves singing? even if the two tracks are in unison, there is a different quality to to the sound because the overtones are never quite produced the same way twice; think of spectrographs and how the same word elicited twice can produce quite different traces

i don't think i've ever heard it notable in anybody's normal speaking voice, although of course some people have richer voices than others and it is a thing which can be trained to some degree, but it is more common in chanting or singing -- in popular music, ozzy osbourne's singing sometimes has a quality like this and of course it reaches an absurd level in tuvan throat-singing

NE: also consider sardinian chant which i think has something like one person singing the melody in a normal voice, and somebody else sings the same melody in unison but *pharyngealised*, or something like that. if somebody has a way of speaking intermediate between normal articulation and this state, strange overtones that are a sort of mixture of the two could be produced maybe?

Miekko
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Miekko »

I've actually once heard two girls singing in unison in a way that sounded dissonant. It was quite strange.
< Cev> My people we use cars. I come from a very proud car culture-- every part of the car is used, nothing goes to waste. When my people first saw the car, generations ago, we called it šuŋka wakaŋ-- meaning "automated mobile".

Herr Dunkel
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Herr Dunkel »

Huun Huur Tu-like phenomenon?

I remember some show about Tibetan/Tuvan throat singing, saying they had something like two overtones.
sano wrote:
To my dearest Darkgamma,
http://www.dazzlejunction.com/greetings/thanks/thank-you-bear.gif
Sincerely,
sano

Pthagnar
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Pthagnar »

Elector Dark wrote:Huun Huur Tu-like phenomenon?

I remember some show about Tibetan/Tuvan throat singing, saying they had something like two overtones.
right, it is like that except not taken to the FARTING MUSK OX / TWITTERING HUMMINGBIRD extremes of that

Herr Dunkel
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Herr Dunkel »

HOLY FUCK XDD
sano wrote:
To my dearest Darkgamma,
http://www.dazzlejunction.com/greetings/thanks/thank-you-bear.gif
Sincerely,
sano

Pthagnar
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Pthagnar »

please be tranquil

Miekko
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Miekko »

I don't quite see how you'd find a reasonable way of relating "two dissonant unisons" to "tuvan throat song".

Tuvan throat singing occurs when, using some techniques that are pretty cool, you amplify the amplitude of multiples of the fundamental.

Dissonant unisons happen when the overtones - that always are present in most ways of generating tones - are off related to the other voice's overtones in such a manner that a lot of critical bandwidths are hit.

E.g. if the basic pitch is 100hz, throat singing is about emphasizing naturally present pitches of 200hz, 300hz, 400hz, ...

Dissonance would occur when the naturally present pitches instead may be something like 100hz, 207hz, 302hz, 415hz for one and maybe 100hz, 200hz, 312hz, 400hz, ...
This mostly has to do with vowel quality afaict, as the human vowel qualities actually in part are created by such inharmonic spectras.

Taernsietr
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Taernsietr »

Well, ayyud didn't exactly say which is the one in the novel, so it could be any of the two, Miekko.

I've seen people get freaked when an acquaintance of mine accidentally (don't ask me how) spoke in a manner similar to throat singing, in the sense his voice seemed to amplify two harmonics (is that the term?); their description was "he just spoke with two voices".

Miekko
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Miekko »

Taernsietr wrote:Well, ayyud didn't exactly say which is the one in the novel, so it could be any of the two, Miekko.

I've seen people get freaked when an acquaintance of mine accidentally (don't ask me how) spoke in a manner similar to throat singing, in the sense his voice seemed to amplify two harmonics (is that the term?); their description was "he just spoke with two voices".
Well, if it's throat-singing-like, speaking in unison is not probably the effect people would compare it to.

Pthagnar
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Pthagnar »

i don't think "unison" is being used in the music theoretic sense in the original, but just to mean "together"

Taernsietr
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Taernsietr »

/\ WHS

Pinetree
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Pinetree »

I have a friend who can, in fact, push his voice in a weird way to make what he calls "the voice of many". It's really fucking creepy. it's like he recorded himself speaking the same line at three different pitches and played it back together, but i've heard him use it IRL, so it's not a recording.