Question about chinese dialects

Discussion of natural languages, or language in general.
Karutoshika
Sanci
Sanci

Question about chinese dialects

Post by Karutoshika »

I have encountered a group of tourists recently and I had a chance to listen them speak.
They spoke some chinese dialect as I can conclude. I don't know what it was exectly but I'm really interested in knowing.

Ok. They used a lot of sha, shy and shu sounds, almost NONE explosive consonants, and their speach was flowing very smoothly, kinda sounded to me like a drunk person would talk - one sound flowing into another without stops.

I can't tell anything more, but maybe someone can guess what dialect or language it is? I know there's _too_ little information, but there's no harm in asking, right? :)

Wattmann
Avisaru
Avisaru

Re: Question about chinese dialects

Post by Wattmann »

Far too little information. That description fits something akin to 3/4 chineses!
Warning: Recovering bilingual, attempting trilinguaility. Knowledge of French left behind in childhood. Currently repairing bilinguality. Repair stalled. Above content may be a touch off.

----
Smeric
Smeric

Post by ---- »

What do you mean by explosive consonants? Do you mean aspirated stops, or what

Ars Lande
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Ars Lande »

We could perhaps figure it out by elimination.

I'll start with the easiest one: did you hear any retroflexes and/or sounds curiously similar to an American /r/?

Karutoshika
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Karutoshika »

Wattmann wrote:Far too little information. That description fits something akin to 3/4 chineses!
Yes... I understand that, but as I said there's no harm in asking, so maybe someone has an idea, or at least could point me into right direction.
As I said I found this dialect very interesting and I would like to learn more about it, but the only way to do it is to first - understand what dialect it is :)
Theta wrote:What do you mean by explosive consonants? Do you mean aspirated stops, or what
Yeah, basically stops. But now that you mentioned aspiration I don't remember hearing it, but I could be wrong here as I didn't pay much attention to aspiration at the moment. But there were almost no stops, and they were not very strong.
Ars Lande wrote:We could perhaps figure it out by elimination.
I'll start with the easiest one: did you hear any retroflexes and/or sounds curiously similar to an American /r/?
Not sure about the rest of retroflexes, but there was no /ɽ/ that's 100% certain, also I don't remember hearing /ɻ/. But there was something similar to /ɭ/.

Also, sorry that I'm being too vague...

Ser
Smeric
Smeric
Location: Vancouver, British Columbia / Colombie Britannique, Canada

Post by Ser »

Just by probability it was most likely Mandarin, Cantonese, Min Nan or Hakka...

Karutoshika
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Karutoshika »

Serafín wrote:Just by probability it was most likely Mandarin, Cantonese, Min Nan or Hakka...
It was not mandarin, that's for sure, as I can easily distinguish mandarin. But for the rest... Do you know any places where I can find samples of these dialects. I tried to search youtube for some videos, but found nothing that has just normal speech, mostly songs or some bs :)

Wattmann
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Wattmann »

Try wikipedia.
Also, it's Youtube :-D !
Warning: Recovering bilingual, attempting trilinguaility. Knowledge of French left behind in childhood. Currently repairing bilinguality. Repair stalled. Above content may be a touch off.

svld
Sanci
Sanci

Post by svld »

Karutoshika wrote:They used a lot of sha, shy and shu sounds, almost NONE explosive consonants, and their speach was flowing very smoothly, kinda sounded to me like a drunk person would talk - one sound flowing into another without stops.
Maybe it's the northeastern dialect(s) of Mandarin.

And Cantonese, Min Nan and Hakka are probably more stop-heavy than Mandarin.

clawgrip
Smeric
Smeric

Post by clawgrip »

"flowing very smoothly, kinda sounded to me like a drunk person would talk - one sound flowing into another without stops" is definitely not a description of Cantonese, anyway.

Davoush
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Davoush »

Lots of 'sha shy shu' definitely sounds like it could be a dialect of Mandarin.

Here are some youtube clips of different dialects:

Mandarin north eastern (Dalian dialect): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ph68cJgz7ek

Mandarin south western (Sichuan dialect): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8MpfN2W1JE

Mandarin central-ish (Shaanxi dialect): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njUKb95F_bg

Jin (Fengyang): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZbnSLFIqC4

Hakka: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbTmXkNX5L4

Min-nan (Fujian dialect): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULv1iCCR9vQ

Wu (Shanghai dialect): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dD0yEUx-QfE

Xiang (Changsha dialect): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PuKaDEzaxSY

Cantonese: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npWlZzSl ... re=related

Taishanese (dialect of Cantonese): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4kwadCilXI

Zhen Lin
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Zhen Lin »

Karutoshika wrote:
Serafín wrote:Just by probability it was most likely Mandarin, Cantonese, Min Nan or Hakka...
It was not mandarin, that's for sure, as I can easily distinguish mandarin.
I've heard Chinese tourists speak Mandarin with all kinds of accents. Standard Mandarin isn't the only one!
書不盡言、言不盡意

Left
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Left »

--------
Last edited by Left on Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ser
Smeric
Smeric
Location: Vancouver, British Columbia / Colombie Britannique, Canada

Post by Ser »

clawgrip wrote:"flowing very smoothly, kinda sounded to me like a drunk person would talk - one sound flowing into another without stops" is definitely not a description of Cantonese, anyway.
Then you study Cantonese and find out all those unreleased stops are actually nearly impossible to hear, even if they seem obvious when speaking English. Was that [saːt̚] or [saː]? [/story of my life...]

clawgrip
Smeric
Smeric

Post by clawgrip »

Serafín wrote:
clawgrip wrote:"flowing very smoothly, kinda sounded to me like a drunk person would talk - one sound flowing into another without stops" is definitely not a description of Cantonese, anyway.
Then you study Cantonese and find out all those unreleased stops are actually nearly impossible to hear, even if they seem obvious when speaking English. Was that [saːt̚] or [saː]? [/story of my life...]
The thing is, while I have studied very little Cantonese, a lot of my friends in high school spoke Cantonese, and in fact most of the Chinese-speaking people in Toronto spoke Cantonese...I am not familiar with the intricacies of the language, but I certainly know that it is not a smooth-sounding language, especially when compared to Mandarin Chinese, which I hear frequently in Japan. The stops being unreleased may make them hard to differentiate, but they are still quite apparent in the flow of the language.

Nevertheless, I know what you mean. When I studied Khmer, I had trouble differentiating the unreleased final stops as well.

Kereb
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Kereb »

yeah canto is very VERY choppy. downright staccato at times.

aaaachetlapbutlapbatlapbutlapneiaaaaaaaaaah
<Anaxandridas> How many artists do you know get paid?
<Anaxandridas> Seriously, name five.

clawgrip
Smeric
Smeric

Post by clawgrip »

Kereb wrote:aaaachetlapbutlapbatlapbutlapneiaaaaaaaaaah
Maybe that should be meiaaaaaaaaaah (未啊)

Karutoshika
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Karutoshika »

Davoush wrote:Lots of 'sha shy shu' definitely sounds like it could be a dialect of Mandarin.
Here are some youtube clips of different dialects:
Oh. Thank you :)
Now I can tell that it was most likely Dalian dialect. All other seem totally off. But still the way they spoke were slighly different. Maybe it is just because of the topic they were discussing, so some particular words were more prevalent thus creating different feel. Of maybe they were drunk afteral :)
But from all links that you provided this one fits the best. I'm gonna find some more stuff to compare.

off: ROFLMAO http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npWlZzSldd8 I don't know what they are talking about but it is fun :)
Asahi wrote:I know quite a number of Chinese Mainlanders who speak Mandarin extremely smoothly, almost without any breaks. It's very possible the dialect you heard was some form of Mandarin.
Yes, it could have been mandarin in that case. But well, I wrote what I heard, and what my impression was at that time. It could have been mandarin, yes. But not "normal" that's for sure.

And mostly the reason why I decided to find out what dialect it was because I was VERY surprised at the way they spoke. It was so smooth that I never heard any chinese dialect even remotely like that. Because it is supposed to be comprised of more or less isolated word-syllables.

Davoush
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Davoush »

Karutoshika wrote: Yes, it could have been mandarin in that case. But well, I wrote what I heard, and what my impression was at that time. It could have been mandarin, yes. But not "normal" that's for sure.

And mostly the reason why I decided to find out what dialect it was because I was VERY surprised at the way they spoke. It was so smooth that I never heard any chinese dialect even remotely like that. Because it is supposed to be comprised of more or less isolated word-syllables.
North-eastern Mandarin dialects do sound a bit more 'flowing' - I think this is because there is a lot of elision going on and they use the neutral tone a lot, but really, north-eastern Mandarin isn't *that* different from Standard Mandarin, after all North-easterners are supposed to speak the closest to standard Mandarin.

Zhen Lin
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Zhen Lin »

Karutoshika wrote:And mostly the reason why I decided to find out what dialect it was because I was VERY surprised at the way they spoke. It was so smooth that I never heard any chinese dialect even remotely like that. Because it is supposed to be comprised of more or less isolated word-syllables.
What? Most Mandarin words are polysyllabic.
書不盡言、言不盡意