Swedish pronunciation

Discussion of natural languages, or language in general.
CGreathouse
Sanci
Sanci

Swedish pronunciation

Post by CGreathouse »

I'm trying to find out how to say a name. How would a Swedish speaker (any, really, but the person was from Stockholm) pronounce the name Cramér? What (if anything) would be the 'standard' way for an English speaker to pronounce it?

I've heard /kɹeˈmə˞/ (/kɹejˈmə˞/?) and /kɹɑ.meˈ/ (/kɹɑ.mejˈ/?) by educated speakers, but no one I've asked actually knows if their pronunciation is correct.
Last edited by CGreathouse on Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Aurora Rossa
Smeric
Smeric

Re: Sweedish pronunciation

Post by Aurora Rossa »

You spelled the name of the language wrong, for starters. The name only has one "e".
"There was a particular car I soon came to think of as distinctly St. Louis-ish: a gigantic white S.U.V. with a W. bumper sticker on it for George W. Bush."

Pole, the
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Pole, the »

Jabechasqvi wrote:You spelled the name of the language wrong, for starters. The name only has one "e".
How do you know?!
The conlanger formerly known as “the conlanger formerly known as Pole, the”.

If we don't study the mistakes of the future we're doomed to repeat them for the first time.

CGreathouse
Sanci
Sanci

Post by CGreathouse »

Jabechasqvi wrote:You spelled the name of the language wrong, for starters. The name only has one "e".
Indeed. At least I got the name I asked about right. Any idea how to say that?

Zwap
Sanci
Sanci

Re: Swedish pronunciation

Post by Zwap »

Born and raised in Stockholm, and I would pronounce it /kra˩meːr˥/. I can't imagine it being pronounced any other way by someone from around here.

CGreathouse
Sanci
Sanci

Re: Swedish pronunciation

Post by CGreathouse »

Zwap wrote:I can't imagine it being pronounced any other way by someone from around here.
Of course I've only heard it from native English speakers, so it's no surprise they wouldn't get it right.
Zwap wrote:Born and raised in Stockholm, and I would pronounce it /kra˩meːr˥/.
Thanks. (I was confused at first by ˩, which looks a bit like ɹ in this browser. But you're just marking tonality I see.)