Langs w dental, alveolar, & palato-alveolar stop phonemes

Discussion of natural languages, or language in general.
TomHChappell
Avisaru
Avisaru

Langs w dental, alveolar, & palato-alveolar stop phonemes

Post by TomHChappell »

Long ago, somebody, either on the ZBB or on CONLANG-L, told me that there was no natural language that had phonemes at all three of the following points-of-articulation -- dental, alveolar, and palato-alveolar -- in any manner-of-articulation other than fricatives and affricates.

That turns out not to be true.

Yolngu, Arrernte, Nunggubuyu, Yanyuwa, and Ngiyambaa, all have voiceless stops/plosives at all three points of articulation; that is, they all have the phonemes / t̪ t t̠ / (that is, / t_d t t_- / in Z-SAMPA). In fact the first four languages -- Yolngu, Arrernte, Nunggubuyu, and Yanyuwa -- also have a retroflex voiceless stop; they have the phonemes / t̪ t t̠ ʈ / (that is, / t_d t t_- t` / in Z-SAMPA).

(Btw Garawa has voiceless stops at the alveolar, palato-alveolar, retroflex, and palatal PoAs; / t t̠ ʈ c / or / t t_- t` c / in Z-SAMPA.)

2+3 clusivity
Avisaru
Avisaru

Re: Langs w dental, alveolar, & palato-alveolar stop phoneme

Post by 2+3 clusivity »

Similar, you might also check out Malayalam and several other Dravidian languages: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malayalam_language.

Malayalam has stops and nasals at dental, aleovelar, retroflex (Subapical Palatal) and palatal.

Toda deserves an honorable mention too for being fun: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toda_language.

Coronals are like pokemon, gotta catch 'em all. Also, take that Eurocentric IPA (without diacritics).
linguoboy wrote:So that's what it looks like when the master satirist is moistened by his own moutarde.

TomHChappell
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by TomHChappell »

2+3 clusivity wrote:Similarly, you might also check out Malayalam and several other Dravidian languages: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malayalam_language..
Malayalam has stops and nasals at dental, aleovelar, retroflex (Subapical Palatal) and palatal.

Thanks for the information, the suggestions, and the links.

2+3 clusivity wrote:Toda deserves an honorable mention too for being fun: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toda_language.
Like, wow, man! :o :!:

----
Smeric
Smeric

Post by ---- »

Yeli Dnye may be notable in respect to this, because while it apparently only distinguishes dental and alveolar as distinct POAs, palatalization is a prominent feature and /t̠ʲ/ may be realized as /tɕ/.

WeepingElf
Smeric
Smeric

Post by WeepingElf »

Of course, it was the Lemurians who started collecting coronal stops like this, and their descendants took them to India and Australia when Lemuria sank ;)
...brought to you by the Weeping Elf
Tha cvastam émi cvastam santham amal phelsa. -- Friedrich Schiller
ESTAR-3SG:P human-OBJ only human-OBJ true-OBJ REL-LOC play-3SG:A

2+3 clusivity
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by 2+3 clusivity »

hmm... yeah. Some of the Australian and Dravidian languages (in the non-sanskrit borrowings) have nice chance phonological similarities: typically no voicing contrast, few sibilants, large numbers of stop series, often no glottal consonants . . .

Come to think of it. I am surprised some crack pot hasn't connected them yet linguistically via a sunken continent or rogue contingent of Alexander the Great's army.

Also don't let this monster escape your attention: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yanyuwa_language. Throw some palatalization on that bad boy and, MAN, you'd be cooking.
linguoboy wrote:So that's what it looks like when the master satirist is moistened by his own moutarde.

Pabappa
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Pabappa »

I think some iterationsof the lemuria theory saythe lsnguagrs are related
And now Sunàqʷa the Sea Lamprey with our weather report:

AnTeallach
Lebom
Lebom

Post by AnTeallach »

TomHChappell wrote:Long ago, somebody, either on the ZBB or on CONLANG-L, told me that there was no natural language that had phonemes at all three of the following points-of-articulation -- dental, alveolar, and palato-alveolar -- in any manner-of-articulation other than fricatives and affricates.

That turns out not to be true.

Yolngu, Arrernte, Nunggubuyu, Yanyuwa, and Ngiyambaa, all have voiceless stops/plosives at all three points of articulation; that is, they all have the phonemes / t̪ t t̠ / (that is, / t_d t t_- / in Z-SAMPA). In fact the first four languages -- Yolngu, Arrernte, Nunggubuyu, and Yanyuwa -- also have a retroflex voiceless stop; they have the phonemes / t̪ t t̠ ʈ / (that is, / t_d t t_- t` / in Z-SAMPA).

(Btw Garawa has voiceless stops at the alveolar, palato-alveolar, retroflex, and palatal PoAs; / t t̠ ʈ c / or / t t_- t` c / in Z-SAMPA.)
This is pretty normal for Australian languages, I believe.

Away from Australian and Dravidian languages, apparently the Fering dialect of North Frisian used to have something similar: it had contrasting alveolar and dental stops and also palatalised stops with a "postalveolar/palatal place of articulation". The alveolar/dental contrast has been lost, though. (Source.)

2+3 clusivity
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by 2+3 clusivity »

My intention is not to go thread grave digging, but I recently found this phonology for a cool language outside of south Asia/Australia and thought it should be shared.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mapudungun (dental (interdental?), alveolar, post-alveolar, retroflex)

The wiki is unclear over whether the dental series is interdental or dental, but I've seen it noted as dental also in T. E. Payne's Describing Morphosyntax at pp. 257-58. The wiki source states that there is consonant harmony--i guess--in the dental v. alveolar series. Describing Morphosyntax gives a good example of such an alternation at 258 showing variations between a speaker's "mood" or attitude as encoded in the verb.