How do languages deal with distinctions like watch/see?

Discussion of natural languages, or language in general.
finlay
Sumerul
Sumerul

Re: How do languages deal with distinctions like watch/see?

Post by finlay »

Qwynegold wrote:Btw, are you teaching ESL in Japan?
me? yeah. didn't you get that already?

clawgrip
Smeric
Smeric

Post by clawgrip »

Technically it's EFL, not ESL. It's impossible to teach ESL in Japan.

finlay
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by finlay »

huh what the hell are you talking about? it's the same.

clawgrip
Smeric
Smeric

Post by clawgrip »

ESL is English language education in an English-speaking country. EFL is English language education in a non-English-speaking country. The teaching requirements for the two are different because an EFL classroom accounts for just about all of the students' language input and output, while this is not at all the case for ESL. As such, an EFL teacher needs to be a little more careful about what is taught and how the classroom time is used, since the students are almost guaranteed to get no other English-language interaction outside of the classroom (except maybe watching a movie or something, the benefits of which are slim for anyone who is not an advanced learner).

hwhatting
Smeric
Smeric

Post by hwhatting »

Gray Richardson wrote:Russian does it with aspect.
For instance:
watch = смотреть (imperfectve)
see = посмотреть (perfective)
Where did you get that from? Both смотреть and посмотреть mean "watch", смотреть / посмотреть на "look at". "To see" is видеть / увидеть. The difference between the two members of the pair is purely aspectual:
Когда я смотрю этот фильм, я всегда плачу. When I watch that film, I always cry.
Я посмотрел фильм и пошёл спать. I watched a film and went to sleep.
Он весь вечер смотрел на картину. He looked at the picture all evening.
Он посмотрел на картину, потом на художника. "И такое Вы называете искусство?" He looked at the painting, then at the artist. "And something like that you call art?"
Пока мы гуляли в парке, мы видели утки, бомжа, бешеную собаку... "While we were walking in the park, we saw ducks, a tramp, a rabid dog..."
Когда мы гуляли в парке, я увидел своего бывшего одноклассника. "When we were walking in the park, I saw / noticed a former classmate."

Qwynegold
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Qwynegold »

:S I thought ESL was English Sign Language. So I was wondering why Japanese people would need to learn that.
My most recent quiz:
Eurovision Song Contest 2018

Ser
Smeric
Smeric
Location: Vancouver, British Columbia / Colombie Britannique, Canada

Post by Ser »

It's called BSL, actually. British Sign Language.

finlay
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by finlay »

clawgrip wrote:ESL is English language education in an English-speaking country. EFL is English language education in a non-English-speaking country. The teaching requirements for the two are different because an EFL classroom accounts for just about all of the students' language input and output, while this is not at all the case for ESL. As such, an EFL teacher needs to be a little more careful about what is taught and how the classroom time is used, since the students are almost guaranteed to get no other English-language interaction outside of the classroom (except maybe watching a movie or something, the benefits of which are slim for anyone who is not an advanced learner).
Meh, i've always taken them as two acronyms for the same thing. It gets annoying after a while when you realise that some people might well be using one or the other for a specific reason, and other people who think of them as theoretically distinct feel the need to come up with further acronyms such as ESOL. I don't really give a damn.

And yeah, this is theoretically true, but in practice I've had a lot of students who use English at work, so they don't exactly get no practice. One of them did point out that errors that are shared by a majority of the L2 users might be reinforced, and sometimes they come in with company jargon that sounds positively strange to me.

Ser
Smeric
Smeric
Location: Vancouver, British Columbia / Colombie Britannique, Canada

Post by Ser »

Yeah, a lot of EFL kids around the world also get exposed to English through videogames outside the classroom... I do remember asking my English teachers if this or that word existed in English meaning anything, in case the videogame makers had made it up (which was now and then the case).
Last edited by Ser on Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

clawgrip
Smeric
Smeric

Post by clawgrip »

It's true that their input is not necessarily limited to the classroom, but their interaction with native speakers, if it does exist, is usually limited in time, subject matter, or both. If they speak English at work, they will probably be using it in a limited number of situations, such as phone calls for placing orders or setting up this or that. If they work with multiple native speakers and interact with them in a variety of situations then this is fortunate for them, because it's an exception to the norm.

Imralu
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Imralu »

finlay wrote:Meh, i've always taken them as two acronyms for the same thing. It gets annoying after a while when you realise that some people might well be using one or the other for a specific reason, and other people who think of them as theoretically distinct feel the need to come up with further acronyms such as ESOL. I don't really give a damn.
This.

I don't know about in other countries, but here, what I work in is called ELICOS (English Language Intensive Courses for Overseas Students). I usually say I'm an ESL teacher, though, because that's what we generally call it and more people will have an idea of what that is than ELICOS.
clawgrip wrote:The teaching requirements for the two are different because an EFL classroom accounts for just about all of the students' language input and output, while this is not at all the case for ESL.
Actually, for a very significant number of my students, it is. A lot of my students speak their language at home and at work, and even when going shopping here. I had a Thai student who asked me why he wasn't improving. He was living with other Thais, worked in a Thai restaurant and, when he came to school, sat with the other Thai students. I was also sure he spoke Thai with them whenever there was no teacher around. He didn't study and there was no way he was going to just soak English up from around him because he had surrounded himself with other Thai speaking people. The only native English speaker he ever really spoke to was me.
Glossing Abbreviations: COMP = comparative, C = complementiser, ACS / ICS = accessible / inaccessible, GDV = gerundive, SPEC / NSPC = specific / non-specific
________
MY MUSIC

clawgrip
Smeric
Smeric

Post by clawgrip »

Imralu wrote:
finlay wrote:Meh, i've always taken them as two acronyms for the same thing. It gets annoying after a while when you realise that some people might well be using one or the other for a specific reason, and other people who think of them as theoretically distinct feel the need to come up with further acronyms such as ESOL. I don't really give a damn.
This.

I don't know about in other countries, but here, what I work in is called ELICOS (English Language Intensive Courses for Overseas Students). I usually say I'm an ESL teacher, though, because that's what we generally call it and more people will have an idea of what that is than ELICOS.
clawgrip wrote:The teaching requirements for the two are different because an EFL classroom accounts for just about all of the students' language input and output, while this is not at all the case for ESL.
Actually, for a very significant number of my students, it is. A lot of my students speak their language at home and at work, and even when going shopping here. I had a Thai student who asked me why he wasn't improving. He was living with other Thais, worked in a Thai restaurant and, when he came to school, sat with the other Thai students. I was also sure he spoke Thai with them whenever there was no teacher around. He didn't study and there was no way he was going to just soak English up from around him because he had surrounded himself with other Thai speaking people. The only native English speaker he ever really spoke to was me.
That's true. That happens to a lot of English-speaking people in Japan as well. For your Thai student, it was effectively EFL. Nevertheless, that is the difference between EFL and ESL as they are defined, more or less.

Qwynegold
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Qwynegold »

Serafín wrote:It's called BSL, actually. British Sign Language.
Yeah, it only occurred to me when I was writing that. >.<
My most recent quiz:
Eurovision Song Contest 2018

Khvaragh
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Khvaragh »

Imralu wrote: Actually, for a very significant number of my students, it is. A lot of my students speak their language at home and at work, and even when going shopping here. I had a Thai student who asked me why he wasn't improving. He was living with other Thais, worked in a Thai restaurant and, when he came to school, sat with the other Thai students. I was also sure he spoke Thai with them whenever there was no teacher around. He didn't study and there was no way he was going to just soak English up from around him because he had surrounded himself with other Thai speaking people. The only native English speaker he ever really spoke to was me.
Indeed. I've lived in Egypt for 4+ years, but just being here doesn't magically mean I became fluent (and I'm still not, but I'd say I'm just below fluent I guess). It took a lot of hard work, especially absorbing yourself in the society. But I work with Egyptians, have mono-lingual Egyptian friends (and my boyfriend's family is all mono-lingual), teach Egyptian kids, etc. Interaction in the target language is the key. Especially if it's outside your comfort level, honestly.
لا يرقىء الله عيني من بكى حجراً
ولا شفى وجد من يصبو إلى وتدِ
("May God never dry the tears of those who cry over stones, nor ease the love-pangs of those who yearn for tent-pegs.") - Abu Nawas

clawgrip
Smeric
Smeric

Post by clawgrip »

I know several people who have lived in Japan ten years or more and who still know very little Japanese beyond some useful phrases. It is confusing to me that they can't find the motivation to study. I don't know why they would want to live in another country for such a long amount of time without being bothered to learn the language. You're only getting a superficial view of the culture if you can't understand what anyone is saying!

hwhatting
Smeric
Smeric

Post by hwhatting »

clawgrip wrote:I know several people who have lived in Japan ten years or more and who still know very little Japanese beyond some useful phrases. It is confusing to me that they can't find the motivation to study. I don't know why they would want to live in another country for such a long amount of time without being bothered to learn the language. You're only getting a superficial view of the culture if you can't understand what anyone is saying!
Well, in my experience a lot of people are going abroad not because they're interested in other cultures (except perhaps in a very superficial, touristy kind of way), but because they see it as a smart career move or because they get paid better than if they'd stay home. I've worked abroad a lot and met much more people who prefer moving in always the same expat circles and bitching about how impossible the locals are than people who actually try to get to know the locals and to integrate themselves into the host country society.

Skomakar'n
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Skomakar'n »

While it's perfectly fine to "watch/look on TV" in Swedish (kolla, titta, glo, et c.), "see on TV" (se) is fine too, and not at all uncommon. I don't think either verb would be used without a preposition, though. One will "listen to/on music" (lyssna), but to "hear music" (höra) is distinctive in the same way as in English.

As for conlanging, I don't distinguish them in my current language, at least, although transitivity and other morphology can be played with to add some nuances.
Online dictionary for my conlang Vanga: http://royalrailway.com/tungumaalMiin/Vanga/

#undef FEMALE

I'd love for you to try my game out! Here's the forum thread about it:
http://zbb.spinnwebe.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=36688

Of an Ernst'ian one.