Strange Phrases

Discussion of natural languages, or language in general.
WechtleinUns
Sanci
Sanci

Strange Phrases

Post by WechtleinUns »

Over the years of conlanging and language exploration, I have found thatcertain phrases have crept into my daily usage that are not exactly...native. These phrases differ from conlang creations in that they seem to have developed organically and without conscious direction. I often don't use these phrases in general company, but I do use them quite a bit when I talk to myself, which is often. I also use them with family, much to their annoyance.

In any case, I thought that we could share any words or phrases that have entered into our lives in such a manner. I will go first:

"Sie", pronounced /zi/, which I often use when someone calls me. For example: "Jose!" Me: "Sie?".

"Biess Bald!", pronounced "visvalt!", which I often use upon departing someone's company/house. I tend to think of it as meaning something like: "I must go, even though I do not want to, but I will be back!"

"Mein Gottlieb!, which is a pain to provide pronunciation for(though you could pronounce all of these with a german accent and be fine.). Mein Gottlieb is used in various situations, though it is often used when suffering under some bodily ailment. Thus: "mein gottlieb!" -> "Oh! My back/knee/testicles/generic mental or physical problem!"

Also(this one is older),:
"Moncleove", This one I use when I'm telling myself that I can do something. It's like saying to oneself: "Hold steady, man, hold steady..."

Lesee...there are many others, but that's good enough for now, I think. I have somewhat half-heartedly given pronunciation information, but as these words are technically not con-words presented on display, and nor are they intended for anyone's adoption, I am taking a somewhat lackadaisical approach to pronunciation. I would love to see if anyone else has somehow adopted similiar strange phrases into their native tongue. :D

ol bofosh
Smeric
Smeric
Location: tʰæ.ɹʷˠə.ˈgɜʉ̯.nɜ kʰæ.tə.ˈlɜʉ̯.nʲɜ spɛ̝ɪ̯n ˈjʏː.ɹəʔp

Re: Strange Phrases

Post by ol bofosh »

I await the day when the Spanish preposition a enters my vocabulary as "to", because I keep hearing it on a regular basis in "ungrammatical" places, though I'm quite used to them.

"Take photos to [of] things" and "buy something to [from] someone" are common to hear.

I think I have caught myself speaking saying some "Hispanic-English" phrases like this, though I don't remember what they are.

I even saw an article that said "Who is the responsible" in reference to how some Spaniards speak English, with a comment "I'm so familiar with this type of phrase it almost seems grammatical.
It was about time I changed this.