[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
zompist bboard • View topic - PC pronouns

zompist bboard

THIS IS AN ARCHIVE ONLY - see Ephemera
It is currently Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:24 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: PC pronouns
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:37 am 
Avisaru
Avisaru

So English has "zhe" and "zir" as PC pronouns (*Not a Standard Feature*) for people who neither want to be called she, he, or it. Any other NatLangs doing this that encode for gender?

Post subject: Re: PC pronouns
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:44 am 
Avisaru
Avisaru

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:29 am 
Smeric
Smeric

Kind of boring, but Japanese makes regular use of あの人 ano hito "that person", which functions basically the same as a third person pronoun.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:19 am 
Avisaru
Avisaru

In my dialect of Dutch, you can use "die" (that) as a pronoun to refer to a person of either gender. I don't think it's ever used in writing, not even informal writing, though, and it might be more of a reduction of 'hij' and 'zij' (male and female pronouns) with an epenthetic /d/ (I guess). It certainly wasn't created to accommodate those who fall outside of the linguistic gender binary...

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:28 am 
Smeric
Smeric

Spanish supposedly has ell@s, and in general the use of @ as a catch-all for -o and -a. I dont know how you pronounce it and I've never even seen in it in writing, but I've read in multiple different places that it exists.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:48 am 
Avisaru
Avisaru

I asked this in the Questions Thread, but received no response: if any natlangs natively, as a Standard Feature, have both sexed and dedicated non-neuter epicene pronouns.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:16 am 
Sumerul
Sumerul

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:27 pm 
Avisaru
Avisaru

Swedish normally has han and hon for 'he' and 'she' respectively, but as late as this year there has been a huge debate on the gender neutral hen, which has gained quite some popularity. As far as language planning goes anyway. Of course the traditional pronouns are still massively outnumbering the new coinage (which isn't exactly newly coined, just hasn't been popular until recently), but you can find it in newspapers every now and then, and one pop magazine (Nöjesguiden) did an issue where they replaced all gendered pronouns with hen. I see people use it on Facebook and the like, and even heard my professor using it once, albeit half-jokingly.

Some people want to use it for gender-ambiguous situations and others instead of all han and hon. The protests against it have been huge of course, but I'm quite surprised it's made the impact that it has. Remains to see if it fades away or stays, but seeing as there's been such a massive media coverage on it for months, it's never again going to be an obscure word that nobody understands. That excuse for not using it is void by now.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:23 pm 
Smeric
Smeric

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:30 pm 
Smeric
Smeric

Last edited by Thry on Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:31 pm 
Sanci
Sanci

I've heard conflicting views about Korean 그사람 (similar to Jap. "ano hito") - most natives I've asked seem to think it's neutral, but at least one thought it was more likely to be a man. Can anyone shed light on that?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:37 pm 
Boardlord
Boardlord

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:42 pm 
Avisaru
Avisaru

There's some controversy over whether or not Japanese pronouns are really pronouns and not just nouns that act funny, though, isn't there?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:40 pm 
Sanno
Sanno

But the river tripped on her by and by, lapping
as though her heart was brook: Why, why, why! Weh, O weh
I'se so silly to be flowing but I no canna stay!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 4:20 pm 
Avisaru
Avisaru

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 4:33 pm 
Smeric
Smeric

Location: tʰæ.ɹʷˠə.ˈgɜʉ̯.nɜ kʰæ.tə.ˈlɜʉ̯.nʲɜ spɛ̝ɪ̯n ˈjʏː.ɹəʔp
"A person walked into a bar, but they ruined the joke with their PC pronouns."

Could that count?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 4:48 pm 
Smeric
Smeric

Yes it's called singular they.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 7:06 pm 
Avisaru
Avisaru

Singular "they" doesn't really work with named individuals, though. So:
"Someone just walked up to me, and they they hit me with a large, purple stick."
But not:
*"Pat just walked up to me, and they hit me with a large, purple stick."

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 7:39 pm 
Smeric
Smeric

This happens on facebook with people who have not specified their gender.

"John Smith updated their work history."

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:55 pm 
Avisaru
Avisaru

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:06 am 
Avisaru
Avisaru

"Pat just walked up to me, and they hit me with a large, purple stick." sounds perfectly okay to me.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 3:36 am 
Avisaru
Avisaru

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 4:12 am 
Sumerul
Sumerul

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:22 am 
Smeric
Smeric