Most beautiful/ugliest languages

Discussion of natural languages, or language in general.
Jerian
Lebom
Lebom

Re: Most beautiful/ugliest languages

Post by Jerian »

I like the sound of Germanic languages, specifically Scandinavian. I dislike the sound of Turkish, however, as well as many Asian languages. Oddly enough, I find Chinese/Japanese easy to listen to.
"Man is least himself when he speaks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will reveal his true face" --Oscar Wilde

Ambrisio
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Ambrisio »

Beautiful: Estonian, Arabic, Welsh

Ugly: Germanic languages (except English and Icelandic)

Io
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Io »

Screw you all and your Eddy obsession! FFS, why do you even STILL pay attention to anything he says?!

Yes, we've had many other such pointless discussions on what languages we find pleasant/ugly to listen to and this won't bring in anything new but why does it have to be polluted with Eddy bullshit?! Just ignore the whiny attention whore, he's so fucking irrelevant.

Languages whose sound I love~like:
1. Greek
2. Hebrew
3. Tirolean German (Standard German is alright, nothing special, however it can also be very pleasant to listen to it for example, if YouLube is being a cunt about the availability of the video just look up U96 War of the Worlds and listen to the first minute of it)
4. Tajik
5. Georgian
6. Armeniani
7. Uzbek

Insult to my ears:
1. French (generally I dislike all Romance languages)
2. Russian (I'm not fond of all Slavic languages except Ukrainian)
3. Chinese (Mandarin)

Mornche Geddick
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Mornche Geddick »

The ugliest languages I know are legalese and officialese. Here's a famous sample.
"In the nuts (unground) (other than ground-nuts) order, the expression `nuts' shall have reference to such nuts, other than ground-nuts, as would, but for this amending order, not qualify as nuts (unground) (other than ground-nuts) by reason of their being nuts (unground)."

Ghostfishe
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Ghostfishe »

Like:
Germanic languages
Quechua
Mayan languages
Mongolian
Sumerian and Akkadian

Dislike:
Spanish. I've been pestered quite a bit about it over the years, but I honestly just don't like it. Mostly just because I don't like the way it sounds... but also partly for being harassed so much over not wanting to learn it. Sheesh. I'd rather learn the Black Speech any day. :P
When I'm not dabbling in speculative science, creating game mods or writing fanfiction, I work as a web designer for www.mommatown.net.
Sites my team has made: www.vincentmartella.com, www.ipoglobalresearch.com, www.ipoboutique.com

Thry
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Thry »

Ghostfishe wrote:Dislike:
Spanish. I've been pestered quite a bit about it over the years, but I honestly just don't like it. Mostly just because I don't like the way it sounds... but also partly for being harassed so much over not wanting to learn it. Sheesh. I'd rather learn the Black Speech any day. :P
yo también te quiero, padre

el flokratisson
Sanci
Sanci

Post by el flokratisson »

Like: Icelandic <3, scandinavian languages in general, spanish, finnish

Dislike: french, dutch (actually it's funny, cause it sounds like a german person, who tries to talk while he has a hot potato inside its mouth), slavic languages and Somali (so weird, especially the ping pong sound)

Drydic
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Drydic »

ping pong? wtf?
Image Image
Common Zein Scratchpad & other Stuffs! OMG AN ACTUAL CONPOST WTFBBQ

Formerly known as Drydic.

Shrdlu
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Shrdlu »

The retroflexed /d/ I believe, and/or the tones.
If I stop posting out of the blue it probably is because my computer and the board won't cooperate and let me log in.!

R.Rusanov
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by R.Rusanov »

I think French, Esperanto and Albanian are pretty ugly, they combine the worst features of Western, Central and Eastern Europe respectively. The orthographies are also sub-par in my opinion. I generally don't like tonal languages or ones with too many vowels or consonants.

I love languages like Proto-Slavic, Tocharian, and Proto-Indo-European, and so on. I bet Proto-Afro-Asiatic's pretty cool too but I've never read anything about it and the sixteen different kinds of "h"s would probably put me off quite a bit.
Slava, čĭstŭ, hrabrostĭ!

Rui
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Rui »

R.Rusanov wrote:I think French, Esperanto and Albanian are pretty ugly, they combine the worst features of Western, Central and Eastern Europe respectively. The orthographies are also sub-par in my opinion. I generally don't like tonal languages or ones with too many vowels or consonants.

I love languages like Proto-Slavic, Tocharian, and Proto-Indo-European, and so on. I bet Proto-Afro-Asiatic's pretty cool too but I've never read anything about it and the sixteen different kinds of "h"s would probably put me off quite a bit.
So basically, if it's a spoken language, you think it's ugly?

Nightwriter
Niš
Niš

Post by Nightwriter »

My tastes seem to vary from year to year. I generally dislike the Romance languages; I have never liked the sound of French; but I love Papiamentu. Also a big fan of Japanese. Slightly fond of the Muskogean languages although I rarely get to hear them.

I've dabbled sporadically in Esperanto for several decades; I like the grammar and enjoy coining words on the fly using the numerous affixes, but I can't stand the sound of it.

It would be interesting if somebody would put up a web page where you could hear unlabelled samples of 30 or 40 vastly different sounding languages, rate them for how much you like/dislike the sound, and then found out what languages you had been listening to.

R.Rusanov
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by R.Rusanov »

Chibi wrote:
R.Rusanov wrote:I think French, Esperanto and Albanian are pretty ugly, they combine the worst features of Western, Central and Eastern Europe respectively. The orthographies are also sub-par in my opinion. I generally don't like tonal languages or ones with too many vowels or consonants.

So basically, if it's a spoken language, you think it's ugly?
Not necessarily; I like proto-languages because they tend to be pretty regular and have cool & interesting features (aspiration, vowel harmony, etc.)... languages like French are so irregular it's silly. I know Turkmeni's regular as hell, so if I went to Turkmenistan I'd probably have a great time.
Slava, čĭstŭ, hrabrostĭ!

Radius Solis
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Radius Solis »

Proto-languages should not be assumed to have tendencies. The reason they look more regular than modern languages is that the regular features of a long-dead language are way easier to reconstruct than its irregular features. I bet you a hundred bucks if we could ever find out what the real PIE language was like, it'd be irregular as all hell.

Drydic
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Drydic »

I'd raise that bet several orders of magnitude. The kludges for the infinitive ALONE would drive any learner of actual-PIE insane.
Image Image

Legion
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Legion »

Notice how most people who post in this thread now are noobs.

Lock this thread.

Drydic
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Drydic »

Lock Legion to this thread.
Image Image

Jerian
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Jerian »

In general, I can't stand velar or uvular fricatives. They hurt my ears to listen to, and they hurt my throat to try and say. Thus, I dislike any languages with extensive use of these sounds. Also, I for some reason, don't like any languages with a very phonetic alphabet, like spanish, or Turkish.

I've only created one conlang with velar/uvular fricatives, but scrapped it, as it turned out to be too kitchen-sink like.
"Man is least himself when he speaks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will reveal his true face" --Oscar Wilde

Legion
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Legion »

Jerian wrote:In general, I can't stand velar or uvular fricatives. They hurt my ears to listen to, and they hurt my throat to try and say. Thus, I dislike any languages with extensive use of these sounds. Also, I for some reason, don't like any languages with a very phonetic alphabet, like spanish, or Turkish.

I've only created one conlang with velar/uvular fricatives, but scrapped it, as it turned out to be too kitchen-sink like.
Also, I for some reason, don't like any languages with a very phonetic alphabet, like spanish, or Turkish.
any languages with a very phonetic alphabet, like spanish, or Turkish.
phonetic alphabet, like spanish, or Turkish.

Drydic
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Drydic »

Jerian wrote:In general, I can't stand velar or uvular fricatives. They hurt my ears to listen to, and they hurt my throat to try and say.
Then you're not making velar or uvular fricatives.
Image Image

Aurora Rossa
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Aurora Rossa »

Jerian wrote:In general, I can't stand velar or uvular fricatives. They hurt my ears to listen to, and they hurt my throat to try and say. Thus, I dislike any languages with extensive use of these sounds.
Same here, especially for uvular fricatives although voiced velar fricatives really turn me off too.
"There was a particular car I soon came to think of as distinctly St. Louis-ish: a gigantic white S.U.V. with a W. bumper sticker on it for George W. Bush."

Shrdlu
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Shrdlu »

You two should listen to this Montana Salish interview.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gZUGV_Kc-k
If I stop posting out of the blue it probably is because my computer and the board won't cooperate and let me log in.!

Trailsend
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Trailsend »

I learned some Montana Salish from a coworker at a language revitalization project, who was from the Flathead reservation. It's amazing.

Ser
Smeric
Smeric
Location: Vancouver, British Columbia / Colombie Britannique, Canada

Post by Ser »

Legion wrote:
Jerian wrote:In general, I can't stand velar or uvular fricatives. They hurt my ears to listen to, and they hurt my throat to try and say. Thus, I dislike any languages with extensive use of these sounds. Also, I for some reason, don't like any languages with a very phonetic alphabet, like spanish, or Turkish.

Also, I for some reason, don't like any languages with a very phonetic alphabet, like spanish, or Turkish.
any languages with a very phonetic alphabet, like spanish, or Turkish.
phonetic alphabet, like spanish, or Turkish.
Yes, in average human English a "phonetic alphabet" refers to a shallow alphabetic orthography. (Don't worry, I find it jarring too, but I won't deny it's a thing...)

Legion
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Legion »

I know that of course. But that someone who has already commited 250+ posts on this forum hasn't yet learned that is dishearting.