The etomology of gaol

Discussion of natural languages, or language in general.
richard1631978
Sanci
Sanci

The etomology of gaol

Post by richard1631978 »

I've often wondered why gaol has a "soft g" (sorry don't know IPA or the names of phonemes!), is this due to a consental shift or the legacy of an old spelling convetion.

I know the would has old French roots, if that helps at all.

Ser
Smeric
Smeric
Location: Vancouver, British Columbia / Colombie Britannique, Canada

Re: The etomology of gaol

Post by Ser »

Etymology.

I'd recommend checking what etymonline says before asking such questions...

So... two different French dialects. In both dialects, the c- in the word's root became [g] (Latin caue- + diminutive suffix -ola, cf. Latin cauea > French cage). In Parisian French, word-initial [k, g] were palatalized to [tʃ, dʒ] before [a], but that didn't happen in Anglo-Norman.

Some borrowings with [k] in English but [ʃ] in modern French because of Anglo-Norman:
cant (as in Thieves' cant) - chant 'hymn, singing' (note the doublet "chant")
case - châsse 'reliquary'
cauldron - chaudron 'cauldron'
catch - chasser 'to hunt' (doublet: "to chase")
to carry - charrier 'to carry sth (on a vehicle)', 'to be kidding' (as in "are you kidding (me)?")

Imralu
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Imralu »

Etymonline wrote:jail (n.)
late 13c., gayhol, [...]
Lol, ... apt!
Glossing Abbreviations: COMP = comparative, C = complementiser, ACS / ICS = accessible / inaccessible, GDV = gerundive, SPEC / NSPC = specific / non-specific
________
MY MUSIC

Legion
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Legion »

Serafín wrote: So... two different French dialects. In both dialects, the c- in the word's root became [g] (Latin caue- + diminutive suffix -ola, cf. Latin cauea > French cage). In Parisian French, word-initial [k, g] were palatalized to [tʃ, dʒ] before [a], but that didn't happen in Anglo-Norman.
Nitpick: as far as I know the palatalization (to various degrees) of [k g] before [a] (and not just word-initially) is a large Gallo-Romance areal feature that affected most Oil languages (except a few ones north-western ones), but also Franco-Provençal and the Rhaeto-Romance languages.

Izambri
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Izambri »

Legion wrote:
Serafín wrote: So... two different French dialects. In both dialects, the c- in the word's root became [g] (Latin caue- + diminutive suffix -ola, cf. Latin cauea > French cage). In Parisian French, word-initial [k, g] were palatalized to [tʃ, dʒ] before [a], but that didn't happen in Anglo-Norman.
Nitpick: as far as I know the palatalization (to various degrees) of [k g] before [a] (and not just word-initially) is a large Gallo-Romance areal feature that affected most Oil languages (except a few ones north-western ones), but also Franco-Provençal and the Rhaeto-Romance languages.
And to a certain degree Northern Occitan (Limousin, Auvergnat, Vivaro-Alpine, Marchois): cantar, vaca, cargar, pagar vs. chantar, vacha, charjar, paiar.
Un llapis mai dibuixa sense una mà.

richard1631978
Sanci
Sanci

Post by richard1631978 »

Thanks for helping me out.