Some questions about Estonian

Discussion of natural languages, or language in general.
Ambrisio
Lebom
Lebom

Some questions about Estonian

Post by Ambrisio »

I am learning Estonian and I have some questions:

1) Is the Estonian word "just" used in the same way as its English homophone? That is, does it make sense to say something like "See tundub just nagu õunakook" for "This feels just like apple cake"? Or would you rather say "See tundub täpselt nagu õunakook"?

2) If I wanted to say "four more years", would it be "neli aastat enam", "neli enam aastat", or "enam neli aastat"?

Drydic
Smeric
Smeric

Re: Some questions about Estonian

Post by Drydic »

are you entirely sure it's a homophone

that seems unlikely to me
Image Image
Common Zein Scratchpad & other Stuffs! OMG AN ACTUAL CONPOST WTFBBQ

Formerly known as Drydic.

Click
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Click »

Drydic Guy wrote:are you entirely sure it's a homophone

that seems unlikely to me
I think Ambrisio meant homograph.

Ambrisio
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Ambrisio »

Sorry for the typo.

Noriega
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Noriega »

Ambrisio wrote:1) Is the Estonian word "just" used in the same way as its English homophone? That is, does it make sense to say something like "See tundub just nagu õunakook" for "This feels just like apple cake"? Or would you rather say "See tundub täpselt nagu õunakook"?
Let's put them to a very crude Google fight:
"just nagu" site:.ee - 332,000 hits
"täpselt nagu" site:.ee - 276,000

"tundub täpselt nagu" site:.ee - 10,200
"tundub just nagu" site:.ee - 1,320

Without checking contexts etc. it may be easy to be misled, but it seems that you can use just like English 'just' in comparisons.
Ambrisio wrote:2) If I wanted to say "four more years", would it be "neli aastat enam", "neli enam aastat", or "enam neli aastat"?
Here, the Google fight was quite unfruitful, so I did some searches with phrases in Swedish (my native language) and Estonian. I found the program of a film festival, in which one movie was called "Veel neli aastat", with a Swedish title corresponding to English "four more years". I entered "veel neli aastat" into Google, and got tons of hits related to the U.S. election! When I search for "veel üks aasta", "veel kaks aastat" etc. I also get a lot of hits.

(You could also just search for an English phrase within citation marks, and the basic Estonian words without. The search neli aasta "four more years" also brings you the election-night hits. Given aasta without citation marks, Google also finds aastat.)

All in all it's pretty crude, but you often get a hint, from which you can proceed. The most effective strategy is probably to get a grammar book and a dictionary, but, provided that the language has a big online presence, it's also fun to try and figure it out for yourself :)
Perhaps eventually all languages will evolve so that they include some clicks among their consonants – Peter Ladefoged

Jahai: /kpotkpɛt/ ‘the feeling of waking up to the sound of munching’

Astraios
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Astraios »

Does anyone know a resource which actually marks in IPA or similar all the pronunciation of Estonian?

Ambrisio
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Ambrisio »

There is always http://www.omniglot.com/writing/estonian.htm, but I would warn you that some details are not entirely accurate:

1) Single "a" is /ɒ/ and single "e" is open-mid /ɛ/, while double "ee" is more like /e̞:/. Double "aa" may be unrounded, but it is never fronted to /a:/.
2) "b", "d", "g" are voiceless lenis /p/, /t/ and /k/ while "p", "t" and "k" are semi-lengthened and fortis: /pˑ/, /tˑ/, and /kˑ/. (Note however that "b", "d" and "g" are voiced between vowels in rapid speech.)
3) "ng" and "nk" have engmas (i.e. /ŋk/, /ŋkˑ/).

There may be dialect/accent differences, however.

Astraios
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Astraios »

I mean words.