AC3 and Ratonhnhaké:ton

Discussion of natural languages, or language in general.
Torco
Smeric
Smeric

AC3 and Ratonhnhaké:ton

Post by Torco »

So the main protagonist of the popular videogame Assasin's Creed 3 is a Mohawk and the voice actors speak Mohawk from time to time, and while I'm pretty ignorant regarding north american native langs it didn't sound like I thought mohawk sounded like: Wiki is unclear about this but I noticed that they pronounce the rhotic consonant as an approximant, as in English, and it seemed to lenite the k into g in the protagonis's name. Just a question for those that know more on this: is the english-style rhotic represented in the game an artifact of the voice actors probably being anglophones or did Mohawk really have an approximant rhotic <as opposed to, I guess what I thought it had, which is a trill or tap rhotic>

bit of video if you haven't played the game.

Colonel Cathcart
Lebom
Lebom

Re: AC3 and Ratonhnhaké:ton

Post by Colonel Cathcart »

This stuck out to me too while playing that game. It's pretty clearly a retroflex [ɻ] rather than an alveolar [ɹ], which made me think Eastern Mohawk has /ɽ/ [ɻ], at least nowadays - I very much doubt they tried to reconstruct 18th century Mohawk phonology; it's not like us palefaces would know the difference. On the other hand, a few of the child characters have something like [ɻɾ] (in the hide-and-seek mission, note how they pronounce kaye:ri "four"), which seems like a more earnest approximation of [ɽ]. I don't know anything about Mohawk either, but my guess is that /ɽ/ was once a tap [ɽ], but possibly due to English influence it's taken an approximant quality, either [ɻ] or [ɻɾ] depending on dialect and/or morphophonemic context.

In the case of /k/ [g], IIRC Mohawk voices its stops initially and intervocalically, so <Ratonhnhaké:ton> is in fact [ɻadũn.haˈgeːdũ].
kuiva ja pölyinen

Xephyr
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Xephyr »

"It will not come by waiting for it. It will not be said, 'Here it is,' or 'There it is.' Rather, the Kingdom of the Father is spread out upon the earth, and men do not see it."
The Gospel of Thomas

8Deer
Lebom
Lebom

Post by 8Deer »

Colonel Cathcart wrote:In the case of /k/ [g], IIRC Mohawk voices its stops initially and intervocalically, so <Ratonhnhaké:ton> is in fact [ɻadũn.haˈgeːdũ].
I think stops are voiced before any voiced sound, be it a vowel or resonant.

Torco
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Torco »

didn't see it... sorry.