Classical Nahuatl Sources

Discussion of natural languages, or language in general.
LeCiagoPanda
Sanci
Sanci

Classical Nahuatl Sources

Post by LeCiagoPanda »

I'm trying to learn Classical Nahuatl and I've already used the "Inadequate Nahuatl Lessons" online, and I have "An Introduction to Classical Nahuatl" by Michel Launey. These are both useful, however I'm constantly confused by what word order to use, and whether or not to include an "optional" particle in a sentence. I want to speak the language and sound as the Aztecs would have, but I can't figure out what word orders and what particles would sound more "normal" most of the time. Different sources also seem to disagree about when to use the particles "ca" and "in", and It would be nice if I could find full texts rather than short examples, texts which specifically target certain grammatical nuances and constructions. Other books/sites(preferably free, but not necessarily) for learning Classical Nahuatl would also be appreciated, to get yet another perspective on the grammar. Any ideas?
Nicnomachtia in mexihcatlahtōlli!

J'apprends le français!

Xephyr
Avisaru
Avisaru

Re: Classical Nahuatl Sources

Post by Xephyr »

Nahuatl as Written is supposed to be pretty good.

EDIT: Here are the grammars I currently have.
Last edited by Xephyr on Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
"It will not come by waiting for it. It will not be said, 'Here it is,' or 'There it is.' Rather, the Kingdom of the Father is spread out upon the earth, and men do not see it."
The Gospel of Thomas

marconatrix
Lebom
Lebom

Re: Classical Nahuatl Sources

Post by marconatrix »

It's a while since I looked into this, and you've probably already found the main resources. There are however several grammars etc. of the modern dialects, which honestly don't look too different, give or take the occasional Spanish loan. Though IIRC they're all in Spanish ...

Edit: checking the sources of some of the stuff I've still got ;

http://anthro.ucsd.edu/~dkjordan/nahuatl/nahuatl.html
(includes a 20p pdf grammar summary)

www.ualberta.ca/~csmackay/Mecayapan.pdf

http://jupiter.plymouth.edu/~wjt/Nahuatl/Nahuatl1.pdf
Kyn nag ov den skentel pur ...