Mandaic Resources?

Discussion of natural languages, or language in general.
Khvaragh
Lebom
Lebom

Mandaic Resources?

Post by Khvaragh »

Does anyone know where I can find some good resources on the Classical Mandaic language (historically a dialect of Aramaic), or a pdf grammar? I'm doing some research into Gnostic sects in the Middle East, and the majority of Mandaean texts are written in that language. I have a decent grasp of Syriac, but I don't know enough about Mandaic to know how far and in what ways they diverge.

Any suggestions (besides googling, I spent the last hour doing that)?
لا يرقىء الله عيني من بكى حجراً
ولا شفى وجد من يصبو إلى وتدِ
("May God never dry the tears of those who cry over stones, nor ease the love-pangs of those who yearn for tent-pegs.") - Abu Nawas

Dewrad
Sanno
Sanno

Re: Mandaic Resources?

Post by Dewrad »

Khvaragh wrote:Does anyone know where I can find some good resources on the Classical Mandaic language (historically a dialect of Aramaic), or a pdf grammar? I'm doing some research into Gnostic sects in the Middle East, and the majority of Mandaean texts are written in that language. I have a decent grasp of Syriac, but I don't know enough about Mandaic to know how far and in what ways they diverge.

Any suggestions (besides googling, I spent the last hour doing that)?
Wean yourself from over-reliance on the internet.

Macuch, Rudolf. 1965. Handbook of Classical and Modern Mandaic.

Inter-library loan ftw.
Some useful Dravian links: Grammar - Lexicon - Ask a Dravian
Salmoneus wrote:(NB Dewrad is behaving like an adult - a petty, sarcastic and uncharitable adult, admittedly, but none the less note the infinitely higher quality of flame)

Khvaragh
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Khvaragh »

Yes, well, I live in Egypt, so certain books which one can order on amazon or go down to the library are not so easy to get a hold of here, especially books on obscure dead languages. My uni library doesn't have this book and we don't have an actual inter-library loan system either.
The only other option I can think of besides a pdf or text online is to look for something at the Dominican library; so thank you for the book information.

Still though, anyone find anything/have gotten ahold of anything in their travels?
لا يرقىء الله عيني من بكى حجراً
ولا شفى وجد من يصبو إلى وتدِ
("May God never dry the tears of those who cry over stones, nor ease the love-pangs of those who yearn for tent-pegs.") - Abu Nawas

Dewrad
Sanno
Sanno

Post by Dewrad »

Khvaragh wrote:Yes, well, I live in Egypt, so certain books which one can order on amazon or go down to the library are not so easy to get a hold of here, especially books on obscure dead languages. My uni library doesn't have this book and we don't have an actual inter-library loan system either.
The only other option I can think of besides a pdf or text online is to look for something at the Dominican library; so thank you for the book information.

Still though, anyone find anything/have gotten ahold of anything in their travels?
Honestly, I think you'll be out of luck with finding a meaty description online. Your best bet is most likely going to be a library. Still, that's not the only book on Mandaic about. If you haven't seen it already, there's this bibliography of Mandaic studies titles: it might be worth printing off a copy and toddling down to the nearest decent library to see what you can find.
Some useful Dravian links: Grammar - Lexicon - Ask a Dravian
Salmoneus wrote:(NB Dewrad is behaving like an adult - a petty, sarcastic and uncharitable adult, admittedly, but none the less note the infinitely higher quality of flame)

Xephyr
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Xephyr »

Three years later...

I got a copy of that Macuch grammar Dewrad mentioned through interlibrary loan, and made a pdf out of it as best as I could manage: http://www.speedyshare.com/V8Hyw/Mandai ... Macuch.pdf

EDIT: The original was a bit big, and optimizing caused some problems. Here's a smaller-sized pdf, but some text is hard to read: http://www.speedyshare.com/snXGS/Handbo ... andaic.pdf
Last edited by Xephyr on Sat Oct 12, 2013 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"It will not come by waiting for it. It will not be said, 'Here it is,' or 'There it is.' Rather, the Kingdom of the Father is spread out upon the earth, and men do not see it."
The Gospel of Thomas

Morrígan
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Morrígan »

Xephyr wrote:Three years later...

I got a copy of that Macuch grammar Dewrad mentioned through interlibrary loan, and made a pdf out of it as best as I could manage: http://www.speedyshare.com/V8Hyw/Mandai ... Macuch.pdf
Seems to have been a pretty good job. I've always had trouble scanning books, this one looks nice.

Xephyr
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Xephyr »

Several people are having trouble with that speedyshare site, and so am I now that I try to download it myself. I honestly remember using that just a couple weeks ago, and it being as simple as a direct link to start downloading a file. Now I can't find any other website that doesn't either look shady as hell or requires you to log in with a facebook account.

Honestly, is there any good website for uploading files anymore?

EDIT: Try this:

(large) http://www.2shared.com/document/dOHELiK ... ical_.html
(small, shitty) http://www.2shared.com/document/vrtT_0h ... _Mode.html
"It will not come by waiting for it. It will not be said, 'Here it is,' or 'There it is.' Rather, the Kingdom of the Father is spread out upon the earth, and men do not see it."
The Gospel of Thomas

Nortaneous
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Nortaneous »

did mediafire and ifile.it stop existing?
Siöö jandeng raiglin zåbei tandiüłåd;
nää džunnfin kukuch vklaivei sivei tåd.
Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei.

Drydic
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Drydic »

Mediafire doesn't allow files over 200mb without a paid subscription anymore.
Image Image
Common Zein Scratchpad & other Stuffs! OMG AN ACTUAL CONPOST WTFBBQ

Formerly known as Drydic.

Yaali Annar
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Yaali Annar »

Thanks for sharing Cev. Trully you represent the dude on your avatar.

Ser
Smeric
Smeric
Location: Vancouver, British Columbia / Colombie Britannique, Canada

Post by Ser »

Drydic wrote:Mediafire doesn't allow files over 200mb without a paid subscription anymore.
That's not really an issue because you can easily split a file using 7-zip or the like.

On the other hand, Mediafire is now owned by the US government (no, really), and maybe Cev has some qualms about that...