English as Fusion of French and Anglic

Discussion of natural languages, or language in general.
Hallow XIII
Avisaru
Avisaru

Re: English as Fusion of French and Anglic

Post by Hallow XIII »

A polygraph disambiguator is something used in stupid writing systems where a given combination of graphemes can represent both a single unit and a sequence of two and you need something to keep these cases apart. Like, say, an apostrophe or a diaeresis used like <a'o> <aö> to indicate it represents [a.o] and not [ɯː]. Or something.
陳第 wrote:蓋時有古今,地有南北;字有更革,音有轉移,亦勢所必至。
R.Rusanov wrote:seks istiyorum
sex want-PRS-1sg
Read all about my excellent conlangs
Basic Conlanging Advice

Drydic
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Drydic »

That's just a fancy word for, or possibly subcategory of, diacritic then.
Image Image
Common Zein Scratchpad & other Stuffs! OMG AN ACTUAL CONPOST WTFBBQ

Formerly known as Drydic.

Hallow XIII
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Hallow XIII »

Are subcategories outlawed now?
sex want-PRS-1sg
Basic Conlanging Advice

Drydic
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Drydic »

You're saying birds aren't dinosaurs even though birds are dinosaurs.
Image Image

Rhetorica
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Rhetorica »

Drydic wrote:You're saying birds aren't dinosaurs even though birds are dinosaurs.
Birds are paraphyletic with dinosaurs Dinosaurs are paraphyletic with birds; birds are not actually dinosaurs. According to your logic, humans are a kind of fish.
Last edited by Rhetorica on Thu Nov 07, 2013 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Legion
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Legion »

Your use of "paraphyletic" is backward.

Hallow XIII
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Hallow XIII »

Drydic wrote:You're saying birds aren't dinosaurs even though birds are dinosaurs.
No, unless accent = diacritic, in which case I invite you to take an extended course on subcategories and their contextual use.
sex want-PRS-1sg
Basic Conlanging Advice

Drydic
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Drydic »

Rhetorica wrote:
Birds are paraphyletic with dinosaurs; they are not actually dinosaurs. According to your logic, humans are a kind of fish.
What Legion said. You don't stop being part of your grandmother's family because you have a family of your own.
Image Image

ObsequiousNewt
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by ObsequiousNewt »

Inversion wrote:
No, unless accent = diacritic, in which case I invite you to take an extended course on subcategories and their contextual use.
Wait, wait, are we arguing over terminology now?

Ο ορανς τα ανα̨ριθομον ϝερρον εͱεν ανθροποτροφον.
Το̨ ανθροπς αυ̨τ εκψον επ αθο̨ οραναμο̨ϝον.
Θαιν. Θαιν. Θαιν. Θαιν. Θαιν. Θαιν. Θαιν.

Hallow XIII
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Hallow XIII »

Everything is not everything, my boy.
sex want-PRS-1sg
Basic Conlanging Advice

Rhetorica
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Rhetorica »

Drydic wrote:What Legion said. You don't stop being part of your grandmother's family because you have a family of your own.
A taxon is not a lineage, nor is it a family. Birds aren't dinosaurs, even though they evolved from them, and you are not a fish, even though you evolved from an aquatic vertebrate generally described as one.

Drydic
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Drydic »

I suggest you read up on taxonomy. Here, I'll give you a link to the proper wikipedia article.

The clade Aves (aka birds) is made up of descendants of the clade Dinosauria, and therefore Aves is a part of Dinosauria.
Birds are paraphyletic with dinosaurs Dinosaurs are paraphyletic with birds; birds are not actually dinosaurs. According to your logic, humans are a kind of fish.
still gets the definition of paraphyletic wrong.
Image Image

Hallow XIII
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Hallow XIII »

Yes, Drydic is absolutely right. Humans, by the way, are not fish, because fish are defined as a paraphyletic group that includes all members of the clade except tetrapods. If you go by common ancestors, though, then yes, humans are fish.
sex want-PRS-1sg
Basic Conlanging Advice

gach
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by gach »

The best solution is to reserve terms like fish and reptiles only to informal speech and to use properly defined clade names in all technical circumstances. "Reptiles" are particularly tricky since people insist not calling birds and mammals that. So to preserve the colloquial meaning of the word, you have to specifically exclude both Aves and Mammalia from it. This is a bit of a special case and for Dinosauria there is no such tinkering. Incidentally the most common definition for Dinosauria that I've seen describes it consisting of Triceratops horridus, Passer domesticus, their last common ancestor and all its descendants. I like this definition since it explicitly pulls birds under the clade name.

I understand that calling birds dinosaurs might need a bit getting used to, but I find that it gives a big boost in getting kids interested in their natural surroundings. I also like the sound of going to a dinosaur sanctuary to view some wildlife.

Legion
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Legion »

("paraphiletic with" doesn't mean anything; a group is just "paraphiletic", or it isn't)

Rhetorica
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Rhetorica »

This is what I get for reading history of science papers for too damn long.
Legion wrote:("paraphiletic with" doesn't mean anything; a group is just "paraphiletic", or it isn't)
Not quite—a parent group is paraphyletic with respect to the monophyletic groups that have been removed from it. Try Googling the phrase "paraphyletic with respect to" and you'll see a wealth of hits.
Drydic wrote:The clade Aves (aka birds) is made up of descendants of the clade Dinosauria, and therefore Aves is a part of Dinosauria.
Here's how things got messy:

Aves is a class. Reptilia used to be a class but isn't, and now contains superorders. Aves, but not the rest of Dinosauria, is a monophyletic group that is exluded from Reptilia, just like the superclass Tetrapoda is excluded from the unranked taxon Craniata (i.e., fish).

Depending on who you ask and when, Dinosauria is either an unranked clade, a suborder (Owen, 1842), or a superorder (Seeley, 1887).

Result: while Drydic's original example about birds being dinosaurs is correct, biology is full of examples where descendants of a group cease being members of that group.
Inversion wrote:If you go by common ancestors, though, then yes, humans are fish.
The whole point of this conversation is that saying "humans are fish by common ancestry" is an abuse of terminology and violates explicitly defined categorical boundaries. Like it or not, academic terminology is prescriptivist; you can say "humans have a common ancestor with fish" or even the slightly sketchy "humans are descended from fish" without ruffling any feathers, but you can't say humans are fish. With the divergence of Tetrapoda, we stopped being fish, just like modern Italians are not citizens of the Roman Empire. "Fish" simply isn't a clade.

Basilius
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Basilius »

But "humans are lobe-finned fish" should be valid, with this logic (and still sounds wrong to me).

Also, somebody rename this thread, please. Confusingly, it's still named "English as Fusion of French and Anglic".
Basilius

ObsequiousNewt
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by ObsequiousNewt »

Basilius wrote:But "humans are lobe-finned fish" should be valid, with this logic (and still sounds wrong to me).

Also, somebody rename this thread, please. Confusingly, it's still named "English as Fusion of French and Anglic".
That is what the thread was originally about...

Basilius
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Basilius »

ObsequiousNewt wrote:That is what the thread was originally about...
About humans being lobe-finned fish?
Basilius

KathTheDragon
Smeric
Smeric

Post by KathTheDragon »

As a reminder, you got here from explaining why English is not descended from French, then arguing over whether or not a diacritic should be on a particular letter in a French word, then arguing over terminology, then arguing about whether birds are dinosaurs.

ObsequiousNewt
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by ObsequiousNewt »

KathAveara wrote:As a reminder, you got here from explaining why English is not descended from French, then arguing over whether or not a diacritic should be on a particular letter in a French word, then arguing over terminology, then arguing about whether birds are dinosaurs.
Wow, who needs a "Random Thread" when you've got this?

gmalivuk
Lebom
Lebom

Post by gmalivuk »

ObsequiousNewt wrote:
Basilius wrote:But "humans are lobe-finned fish" should be valid, with this logic (and still sounds wrong to me).

That is what the thread was originally about...
Are thread topics paraphyletic?

Drydic
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Drydic »

Rhetorica wrote:
Drydic wrote:The clade Aves (aka birds) is made up of descendants of the clade Dinosauria, and therefore Aves is a part of Dinosauria.
Here's how things got messy:

Aves is a class. Reptilia used to be a class but isn't, and now contains superorders. Aves, but not the rest of Dinosauria, is a monophyletic group that is exluded from Reptilia, just like the superclass Tetrapoda is excluded from the unranked taxon Craniata (i.e., fish).

Depending on who you ask and when, Dinosauria is either an unranked clade, a suborder (Owen, 1842), or a superorder (Seeley, 1887).

Result: while Drydic's original example about birds being dinosaurs is correct, biology is full of examples where descendants of a group cease being members of that group.
No, it actually isn't. you're mixing Linnaean and cladistic systems. This only results in misery and the profusion of confusing prefixes and suffixes on clade names.
The best proposal I've seen with some traction (since making Dinosauria class-level appears to be a non-starter, fucking ornithologists) is dividing the old blob Reptilia into 2 classes, Synapsida and Diapsida (maybe Sauropsida would be a little better but let's stick a tiny bit with tradition, shall we?). Which has the benefit of letting the mammals and birds have separate special snowflake class names from each other, while letting the crocs eat their own family when they chomp a little birdy, and still keep the world's oldest land vertebrate blood feud going when they drag a wildebeest thrashing into the water.
Image Image

Rhetorica
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Rhetorica »

I'm not mixing Linnaean and cladistic systems—I'm comparing them. As someone who works primarily with prokaryotes I'm naturally inclined to regard Carl Linnaeus a non-Avian member of Dinosauria, as it were, due to the hilariously high amount of horizontal gene transfer that's made most phylogenetic reconstructions non-viable below the order level.

Which—continuing the incredibly consistent topic of this thread—brings me to another question, one about linguistic phylogeny. But I think I'll make another topic for it just to stop being a nuisance.

Drydic
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Drydic »

So discard the phylogenetics, and go back to body structure similarities.
Image Image