Can someone explain the sounds all the diacritics make.

Discussion of natural languages, or language in general.
Nortaneous
Sumerul
Sumerul

Re: Can someone explain the sounds all the diacritics make.

Post by Nortaneous »

don't forget the acute to mark that a word-final e isn't silent (and doesn't ~lengthen the preceding vowel), which is regular enough that it sometimes gets analogized to loanwords where the original spelling didn't have it
Siöö jandeng raiglin zåbei tandiüłåd;
nää džunnfin kukuch vklaivei sivei tåd.
Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei.

Zaarin
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Zaarin »

Nortaneous wrote:don't forget the acute to mark that a word-final e isn't silent (and doesn't ~lengthen the preceding vowel), which is regular enough that it sometimes gets analogized to loanwords where the original spelling didn't have it
Can you give an example? Every instance I can think of--e.g., résumé, exposé, rosé, café, émigré, etc.--is a loan from French...
"But if of ships I now should sing, what ship would come to me,
What ship would bear me ever back across so wide a Sea?”

Izambri
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Izambri »

Thry wrote:Catalan: uses ü like Spanish (also with qü, for analogous reasons, cf. que vs. pasqües /k@/ vs /"pas.kw@s/), and ´ and ` for stress accents (also marking stress patters that are not considered "natural stress"), using ´ for close vowels (ú, í, ó, é) and ` for open vowels (à, ò, è). Also has the cedilla in the letter ç (again considered a separate letter, to separate the /s/ sound from the /k/ sound; i.e. caçar /k@."sa/).
Catalan doesn't count <ç> among the letters of the alphabet (a, be, ce, de, e...), and in good dictionaries you'll find it considered as a variant of c: C – ca, ça, cabal, càbala...
Un llapis mai dibuixa sense una mà.

linguoboy
Sanno
Sanno

Post by linguoboy »

Zaarin wrote:Can you give an example? Every instance I can think of--e.g., résumé, exposé, rosé, café, émigré, etc.--is a loan from French...
Saké. This seems to be falling out of use nowadays now that the word has become more generally familiar. I've been reading a lot of literature translated from the Japanese lately and I know one of the texts also used it on proper names (e.g. "Ofuné") but unfortunately I can't recall which one this was so I couldn't tell you the year of publication.

finlay
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by finlay »

I was thinking of reading a certain novel translated from Japanese (can't remember what but it was quite famous), but the main character's name was written "Shinsuké" and I couldn't.

Aurora Rossa
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Aurora Rossa »

Not to mention "pokémon".
"There was a particular car I soon came to think of as distinctly St. Louis-ish: a gigantic white S.U.V. with a W. bumper sticker on it for George W. Bush."

linguoboy
Sanno
Sanno

Post by linguoboy »

finlay wrote:I was thinking of reading a certain novel translated from Japanese (can't remember what but it was quite famous), but the main character's name was written "Shinsuké" and I couldn't.
野間 宏の「暗い絵」?

finlay
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by finlay »

No idea. Doesn't look familiar.

zompist
Boardlord
Boardlord

Post by zompist »

And there's Elric of Melniboné.

(Unfounded speculation: I bet Moorcock started with "Melnibone" until some early reader pronounced it like "bone". More unfounded speculation: the term "boner" wasn't popular in his school.)

Nortaneous
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Nortaneous »

linguoboy wrote:
Zaarin wrote:Can you give an example? Every instance I can think of--e.g., résumé, exposé, rosé, café, émigré, etc.--is a loan from French...
Saké. This seems to be falling out of use nowadays now that the word has become more generally familiar. I've been reading a lot of literature translated from the Japanese lately and I know one of the texts also used it on proper names (e.g. "Ofuné") but unfortunately I can't recall which one this was so I couldn't tell you the year of publication.
The Michael Gallagher translation of Runaway Horses does that, but my copy doesn't say when it was published.

I was thinking of yerba mate, a Spanish loan that sometimes takes the acute, though it's not written with it in Spanish.
Siöö jandeng raiglin zåbei tandiüłåd;
nää džunnfin kukuch vklaivei sivei tåd.
Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei.

Salmoneus
Sanno
Sanno

Post by Salmoneus »

zompist wrote:And there's Elric of Melniboné.

(Unfounded speculation: I bet Moorcock started with "Melnibone" until some early reader pronounced it like "bone". More unfounded speculation: the term "boner" wasn't popular in his school.)
Further unfounded speculation: he didn't use the diaresis instead because Tolkien did that, and Moorcock needed to make sure he never did anything Tolkien did.

If we're doing fiction, though, there's also Wolfe's "Caldé of the Long Sun".
Blog: [url]http://vacuouswastrel.wordpress.com/[/url]

But the river tripped on her by and by, lapping
as though her heart was brook: Why, why, why! Weh, O weh
I'se so silly to be flowing but I no canna stay!

Rhetorica
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Rhetorica »

His name's "Moorcock," and you're worried about something that may sound similar to boner?

Priorities!

WeepingElf
Smeric
Smeric

Post by WeepingElf »

Salmoneus wrote:

Further unfounded speculation: he didn't use the diaresis instead because Tolkien did that, and Moorcock needed to make sure he never did anything Tolkien did.
He did use diaresis in another character's name, Erekosë.
...brought to you by the Weeping Elf
Tha cvastam émi cvastam santham amal phelsa. -- Friedrich Schiller
ESTAR-3SG:P human-OBJ only human-OBJ true-OBJ REL-LOC play-3SG:A

Jipí
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Jipí »

Izambri wrote:Catalan doesn't count <ç> among the letters of the alphabet
And neither does German usually count <ä, ö, ü, ß> among them. So even though we use all of A-Z plus 4 special letters, our alphabet still only has 26 letters.
Last edited by Jipí on Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Drydic
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Drydic »

WeepingElf wrote:
Salmoneus wrote:

He did use diaresis in another character's name, Erekosë.
coughBrontëcough
Image Image
Common Zein Scratchpad & other Stuffs! OMG AN ACTUAL CONPOST WTFBBQ

Formerly known as Drydic.

Salmoneus
Sanno
Sanno

Post by Salmoneus »

The Brontës were real people, though, not Moorcock characters.
Blog: [url]http://vacuouswastrel.wordpress.com/[/url]

But the river tripped on her by and by, lapping
as though her heart was brook: Why, why, why! Weh, O weh
I'se so silly to be flowing but I no canna stay!

Shm Jay
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Shm Jay »

Yes; their original name was Prunty.

Because I majored in Russian, I always get the urge to pronounce their name Bront-yó..

Thry
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Thry »

Izambri wrote:
Thry wrote:Catalan: uses ü like Spanish (also with qü, for analogous reasons, cf. que vs. pasqües /k@/ vs /"pas.kw@s/), and ´ and ` for stress accents (also marking stress patters that are not considered "natural stress"), using ´ for close vowels (ú, í, ó, é) and ` for open vowels (à, ò, è). Also has the cedilla in the letter ç (again considered a separate letter, to separate the /s/ sound from the /k/ sound; i.e. caçar /k@."sa/).
Catalan doesn't count <ç> among the letters of the alphabet (a, be, ce, de, e...), and in good dictionaries you'll find it considered as a variant of c: C – ca, ça, cabal, càbala...
typographically, maybe I should've said "character"

Zaarin
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Zaarin »

linguoboy wrote:
Now that you mention it, I have seen that spelling, along with animé--just not recently. ;)
"But if of ships I now should sing, what ship would come to me,
What ship would bear me ever back across so wide a Sea?”

linguoboy
Sanno
Sanno

Post by linguoboy »

Zaarin wrote:
linguoboy wrote:
Now that you mention it, I have seen that spelling, along with animé--just not recently. ;)
I went through the list of Japanese borrowings in English but couldn't find any other examples. Interestingly, though, I did come across the word "bokeh". (New to me; apparently a technical term in photography.) I'm willing to wager that a generation or two ago you would've seen a variant in "é".

I suppose the h in Noh could be looked upon as a diacritic. I don't think it's there to indicate vowel length (since a "short" pronunciation isn't really an option in this position in English orthography) but just to avoid confusion with the common word no. (Cf. the use of acutes in Spanish.)

ol bofosh
Smeric
Smeric
Location: tʰæ.ɹʷˠə.ˈgɜʉ̯.nɜ kʰæ.tə.ˈlɜʉ̯.nʲɜ spɛ̝ɪ̯n ˈjʏː.ɹəʔp

Post by ol bofosh »

I've been Reading Shogun lately, and seen saké.
It was about time I changed this.

Shm Jay
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Shm Jay »

Remember that even today in the age of Unicode, people still use fonts that don't have ē. It's vastly more likely their font will have é. And before Unicode? You only saw ē in scholarly works on Greek.

linguoboy
Sanno
Sanno

Post by linguoboy »

Shm Jay wrote:Remember that even today in the age of Unicode, people still use fonts that don't have ē. It's vastly more likely their font will have é. And before Unicode? You only saw ē in scholarly works on Greek.
But ē wouldn't've been correct here either. The vowel isn't long in these words, it just isn't silent. As more than one person has pointed out, the traditional convention for indicating this was ë--a character that their fonts most likely did allow. (It was included in Part 1 of ISO/IEC 8859, for instance.)

finlay
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by finlay »

Pokémon

Rhetorica
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Rhetorica »

linguoboy wrote:Interestingly, though, I did come across the word "bokeh". (New to me; apparently a technical term in photography.) I'm willing to wager that a generation or two ago you would've seen a variant in "é".
"Bokeh" is an extremely obnoxious word! I have cried many tears over its nonsensical spelling, particularly since "eh" parses as /ɛʰ/ as far as I'm concerned.

As for what it means—it's the shape that light is distributed in when it's blurry and out of focus. Most cameras produce hard polygons; our eyes produce retina-shaped blobs; Photoshop produces a perfectly smooth Gaussian fuzz. As for the recent popularity of the term—it dates to 1996, and the first articles actually used "boke" but provided "bokeh" as an alternative, which apparently proved more popular. I'd put my money on lack of linguistic expertise to explain the lapse in accentuation, although ASCII-fueled apathy seems plausible too.