The Great Proto-Indo-European Thread

Discussion of natural languages, or language in general.
sirdanilot
Avisaru
Avisaru

Re: The Great Proto-Indo-European Thread

Post by sirdanilot »

masako wrote:
Dewrad wrote:While genetic drift can be relatively swift, complete population replacement is actually pretty slow in comparison to language spread.
I get what you're saying, but I never approached the idea of complete population replacement. I also think a case could be made that the stability of the genetic make-up in the British Isles is a bit wonky.
No it's not wonky, because language can spread without large spreading of genetic factors. Which is demonstrated by, yes, the British Isles.

Also language spread can also easily happen without ANY genetic mixing. For example, among indigenous south-americans who are losing their languages at a very rapid rate now. Oftentimes they don't really interbreed with whites but still they are rapidly losing their languages to spanish and portuguese.

jal
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by jal »

"Paul Heggarty, a linguist at the Max Planck Institute for Evolutionary Anthropology in Leipzig, Germany, questions Garrett’s methods, arguing that, for example, linguists cannot be sure if the Latin attested to in written documents really was the direct ancestor of later Romance languages, rather than some dialect of Latin for which no record remains."

That guy should read up on Occam's razor...

JAL

sirdanilot
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by sirdanilot »

jal wrote:"Paul Heggarty, a linguist at the Max Planck Institute for Evolutionary Anthropology in Leipzig, Germany, questions Garrett’s methods, arguing that, for example, linguists cannot be sure if the Latin attested to in written documents really was the direct ancestor of later Romance languages, rather than some dialect of Latin for which no record remains."

That guy should read up on Occam's razor...

JAL
Occam's razor is all fine and dandy but you cannot just say 'because the notion that all romance language derive from Classical Latin, one single language, is the simplest one, it is proven that this notion is true.'

Classical Latin was a written language of the upper class, those that could read and write. Vulgar Latins as well as many regional languages (like the plethora of languages in Italy at that time, some of which like Etruscan weren't even indo-european) were the language of the lower class. Romance languages derive from various forms of Vulgar Latin with of course substrate and language contact influences. They do not derive directly from one single monolithic entity 'Classical Latin'.

It might well be that the various forms of Vulgar Latins weren't even mutually intelligible if they were a bit more far apart geographically. We only call them Vulgar Latin because we call them Vulgar Latin.

This is similar to the fallacy that 'dialects are corrupted versions of the national standard language'. That's of course poppycock. The national standard language is usually just one dialect that happens to be spoken by economically/politically superior people. For example in Holland, the dialect of northern Holland (with influences of Antwerp, Brabant and other dialects) has become Standard Dutch. Dialects don't derive from standard Dutch, they are sister languages to it.

sirdanilot
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by sirdanilot »

Bottom line is: languages don't derive from single languages, they derive from language families.

Only rarely does a language derive from one single language. A case could be made for Afrikaans deriving from Dutch. But that view is even too simplistic; Afrikaans derives from a collection of Dutch dialects (Zeeuws, Hollands) and also has a significant amount of language contact influences from languages spoken in South Africa.

jal
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by jal »

Do you really need to pollute every thread you visit with garbage? Please don't. (I can rebuke all of your points, but I don't feel like getting more off-topic in this otherwise informative thread.)

JAL

EDIT: Oh, and read up on the definition of "strawman". You seem to be very fond of this fallacy.

Dewrad
Sanno
Sanno

Post by Dewrad »

jal wrote:"Paul Heggarty, a linguist at the Max Planck Institute for Evolutionary Anthropology in Leipzig, Germany, questions Garrett’s methods, arguing that, for example, linguists cannot be sure if the Latin attested to in written documents really was the direct ancestor of later Romance languages, rather than some dialect of Latin for which no record remains."
Oooh, ooh! I remember a guy here who held to this particular belief- he got quite irate when nobody bought his ideas about "Orolatin". I think he either stormed off in a huff or got banned.
Some useful Dravian links: Grammar - Lexicon - Ask a Dravian
Salmoneus wrote:(NB Dewrad is behaving like an adult - a petty, sarcastic and uncharitable adult, admittedly, but none the less note the infinitely higher quality of flame)

sirdanilot
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by sirdanilot »

jal wrote:Do you really need to pollute every thread you visit with garbage? Please don't. (I can rebuke all of your points, but I don't feel like getting more off-topic in this otherwise informative thread.)

JAL

EDIT: Oh, and read up on the definition of "strawman". You seem to be very fond of this fallacy.
if you do not want to see opinions you disagree with, stay off the internet.

Or at least stop complaining about seeing posts you disagree with every single time. Not everyone agrees with you.

My post is also about a sub family of PIE and therefore not off topic.

KathTheDragon
Smeric
Smeric

Post by KathTheDragon »

/me forsees a ban in the future... Unless Dinalot wisens up and acquires some civility.

hwhatting
Smeric
Smeric

Post by hwhatting »

sirdanilot wrote:Occam's razor is all fine and dandy but you cannot just say 'because the notion that all romance language derive from Classical Latin, one single language, is the simplest one, it is proven that this notion is true.'
Funny, I thought about using Romance as an example in that other discussion and didn't do it as I thought I was already writing too much.
Now, Occam's razor is often misunderstood. Its main point is - do not posit entities for which there is no evidence. Of course, one could posit that there was a colony of (say) Olmec speakers in 1st century BC Rome, they just unfortunately didn't leave any traces behind. Disprove this.
The same is true for the Argument you make about Vulgar Latin and the existence of multiple, unattested, perhaps even mutually unintelligible dialects that of Vulgar Latin that in your opinion are the ancestors of the modern Romance languages. Yes, Classical Latin is a literary dialect, but people tend to exaggerate how far it was from the spoken language. Look at the language of the comedies of Plautus (3rd century BC) - it was modelled on spoken Latin and the difference to what Cicero would write 150 years later are not big. Now, by the 1st centuries AD, the gap between the language of the literature and what was spoken had become wider, but the languages were still mutually intelligible. And, what is more important, I don't know of any feature of Vulgar Latin / Proto-Romance that cannot be derived from the attested written Latin. All developments can be easily explained as elimination of features (the declensions, the synthetic passive, the old synthetic future tense, etc.), semantic shifts of words, semantic renewals (e.g. the replacement of ignis "fire" by focus (originally "hearth, fireplace"), and some loans and adstrate influences. It may well be that there were quarters in Rome where they said focus meaning "fire" and laudare habeo instead of laudabo "I will praise" already when Cicero was writing, and maybe even at the time of Plautus (maybe those were not the 'hoods where he hung out), but we don't have evidence for that, and, looking at the overall development, Classical Latin compared to Vulgar Latin / Proto-Romance normally represents an older stage, so the simplest assumption is that a variety close to Classical was the basis of Proto-Romance. And the funny thing is that you can derive the existing Romance languages from a fairly uniform Proto-Romance, with only some lexical variation, so there is no evidence for your "various forms of Vulgar Latins (that) weren't even mutually intelligible". You have a few regionalisms like Iberian fabulare vs. Gallo-Italian parabolare replacing loqui "speak", or the "Western" vs. the "Eastern" vs. the Sardinian development of the vowel System (which, by the way, all presuppose the Classical Latin vowel system as original base), but nothing that supposes widely diverging Vulgar Latin dialects.
The national standard language is usually just one dialect that happens to be spoken by economically/politically superior people. For example in Holland, the dialect of northern Holland (with influences of Antwerp, Brabant and other dialects) has become Standard Dutch. Dialects don't derive from standard Dutch, they are sister languages to it.
Well, that's exactly what happend with Latin. We have the Latino-Faliscan family, but the Latino-Faliscan dialect that was the dialect of the City of Rome crowded out and replaced all others. It also replaced the other Italic languages, Etruscan, Celtic, Iberian, and a host of other languages. Both Classical Latin and Proto-Romance are based on this city dialect, with Classical Latin being much more conservative (basically, because it was frozen as a written standard, while the spoken variety, which was not very different from the written standard when it was codified, continued to develop independent from the written standard. The other Latino-Faliscan dialects and the replaced Italian languages had only a very small influence on Vulgar Latin separate from the influence they had on Classical Latin, if at all (whether they had is a debated issue; the loss of /h/ may be one of them, although that's a trivial development that happened in many languages). And we can say that, because there are inscriptions and sources recording these other languages and dialects. So we know that there were related languages and dialects, but they had only minimal influence on Proto-Romance. So it is conceivable that there were several Proto-Indo-European varieties, but despite that the existing IE languages may still be based on one single variety that became especially prestigious and successful. So, again, lots of things may be possible, but where is your evidence? As long as yours is only an assertion based on general principles (“All languages have varieties and dialects, so PIE must have had them, too”) and as long as you cannot point out what the features of these dialects are that one can reconstruct from the attested IE languages, what you say is just an unprovable (and unfalsifiable) assertion.

Salmoneus
Sanno
Sanno

Post by Salmoneus »

But the Bible! You can't just discount the Shinarian hypothesis, because God will smite you!
Blog: [url]http://vacuouswastrel.wordpress.com/[/url]

But the river tripped on her by and by, lapping
as though her heart was brook: Why, why, why! Weh, O weh
I'se so silly to be flowing but I no canna stay!

R.Rusanov
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by R.Rusanov »

What developed into eastern Romance had -as as the nom. fem. plural, not CL -ae... don't know if that's attested anywhere but it's the only thing that fits our data. Besides that, I don't know if I can think of anything else that differs systematically btw CL and proto-romance....
Slava, čĭstŭ, hrabrostĭ!

Fixsme
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Fixsme »

Actually, in French, you have a Gaulish layer on top of which a Latin layer was put and replaced it, which was still a public and written language in the 3rd century AD and probably spoken long after Rome Empire fell. But sometimes you have bits of Gaulish that pervades with vocabulary or syntax. There may be also non-Celtic indo-european in South West of France. I think that could explain why French looks atypical.

And I can read and get most of the meaning of a text written in Old French.

Zaarin
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Zaarin »

R.Rusanov wrote:What developed into eastern Romance had -as as the nom. fem. plural, not CL -ae... don't know if that's attested anywhere but it's the only thing that fits our data. Besides that, I don't know if I can think of anything else that differs systematically btw CL and proto-romance....
That matches Gaulish. Galatian substrate?
Fixsme wrote:Actually, in French, you have a Gaulish layer on top of which a Latin layer was put and replaced it, which was still a public and written language in the 3rd century AD and probably spoken long after Rome Empire fell. But sometimes you have bits of Gaulish that pervades with vocabulary or syntax. There may be also non-Celtic indo-european in South West of France. I think that could explain why French looks atypical.

Wouldn't that be the Vasconic language Aquitanian, not an Indo-European language?
"But if of ships I now should sing, what ship would come to me,
What ship would bear me ever back across so wide a Sea?”

R.Rusanov
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by R.Rusanov »

There were no (or very few) Gauls south of Rimini or east of Padua, certainly not enough to pass on their nominal conjugations to the resident Italians and so forth :^/
Slava, čĭstŭ, hrabrostĭ!

Pabappa
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Pabappa »

R.Rusanov wrote:What developed into eastern Romance had -as as the nom. fem. plural, not CL -ae... don't know if that's attested anywhere but it's the only thing that fits our data. Besides that, I don't know if I can think of anything else that differs systematically btw CL and proto-romance....
Thats arguable .... Im not sold on that theory myself .... why would -as change to -e only at the ends of words? Why isnt it unconditional? Not to say it';s impossible, just that Im not convinced it's correct. It seems more obvious to me that Italian plural -e simply comes from -ae, which changed to /e/ everywhere, not just at the end of a word. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romance_p ... ic_plurals has arguments on both sides, showing that both theories have weaknesses. The biggest weakness of the -ae theory is probably the fact that the feminine plurals seem to reflect a hard vowel, and therefore a later change such as -ai > -e, but I would be curious to see other Italian words that have the same -as > -ai > -e change and see if they also have hard consonants.
And now Sunàqʷa the Sea Lamprey with our weather report:

Zaarin
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Zaarin »

R.Rusanov wrote:There were no (or very few) Gauls south of Rimini or east of Padua, certainly not enough to pass on their nominal conjugations to the resident Italians and so forth :^/
The history of Romance isn't my strong suit so I assumed eastern Romance was Romanian, Romansh, etc. Yeah, Italian not so much.
"But if of ships I now should sing, what ship would come to me,
What ship would bear me ever back across so wide a Sea?”

hwhatting
Smeric
Smeric

Post by hwhatting »

It's still based on the CL System - the Romance languages collapsed the distinction between the nominative and the accussative (seemingly at different times in diffeent languages - the distinction was still there in Old French and Old Provencal); the Western Romance languages generally picked the accusative plural endings m. -o:s, f. -a:s for both Nom and Acc plural, while the Eastern languages generally picked the old Nom. Pl endings m. -i:, f. -ae for both Nom. Acc. Pl. (I think you have it the wrong way round, Rusanov).
EDIT: Oh, I see now, you're referring to the theory that the Italian and Romanian plurals go back to -a:s as well, with a development -a:s > -ai > -e. I'm not sure about that, but in any case it doesn't really change the argumentation - there is still a collapse of the CL System, only that in the Eastern languages female and male nouns would select different cases for the case-less plural - male nouns would select the nominative, female nouns the accusative.

TaylorS
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by TaylorS »

WeepingElf wrote:What do you think of this? Apparently, there is genetic evidence for a sort of a "kurgan" scenario. The IE family tree given in the paper looks nice, too, though I'd rather group Armenian with Greek than with Tocharian. (I have no opinion on the placement of Albanian, though.)
four Corded Ware people could trace an astonishing three-quarters of their ancestry to the Yamnaya.
That's a clincher! All the Anatolianists got now is the denial and the special pleading.

jmcd
Smeric
Smeric

Post by jmcd »

But how fast does language change compared to other cultural traits? I'd think it's relatively stable compared to some things such as technology and about as stable as cuisine but less stable than unconcious habits you're not even aware of.
Fixsme wrote:Actually, in French, you have a Gaulish layer on top of which a Latin layer was put and replaced it, which was still a public and written language in the 3rd century AD and probably spoken long after Rome Empire fell. But sometimes you have bits of Gaulish that pervades with vocabulary or syntax. There may be also non-Celtic indo-european in South West of France. I think that could explain why French looks atypical.

In terms of vocabulary at least, the Frankish influence seems to be a lot stronger than the Gaulish and Basque influence. The differing stress system and the resulting syncope is likely also due it being the most Germanic-influenced of the major Romance languages.

sirdanilot
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by sirdanilot »

I will concede the point that the Romance family may work differently from most other language, because in the days of the romans, Classical Latin was by far the most influential vernacular; the language of the elite, the language of writing, the language of anything that mattered. To add to this, the sister languages to Classical Latin (such as many languages in Italy at the time) were spoken mostly very close to the very centre of Classical Latin and were thus quickly oppressed by it. So in this case yes I am convinced by the argument that the extant Romance languages today derive mostly from Classical Latin (with a plethora of contact and substrate influences and so).

But that leaves other language families, were such a central prestige language was not present. For example Germanic. And this makes it more difficult to prove that 'Proto-Germanic' was at any point in time one single language, and the germanic languages could have multiple ancestors (due to language contact).

Fixsme
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Fixsme »

About the basque influence, the Basques or Wascones crossed the Pyrénées only in the 5th or 6th Century AD, the basque writing dated back to the 2nd century was apparently a fake. I have read at least two times, that vascologists often wondered: if Aquitans were pro-vasconic people, why would they use an indo-european toponymy? In one of these texts, it even says that the compounds used to form names are only used in Baltic languages. And some word found in Irish, like maiden, if I remember correctly, which are used to justify a vasconic substratum to celtic languages, are traditionnaly found North of the Pyrénées but not South, indicating that this word may not come from proto-basque.

True, Frankish has an influence in vocabulary, but I notice that you have often initial w becoming gw, you find also this in Celtic languages, wild> gwild (Welsh), vinus>gwin (Breton, wine), *uindos> gwynn (Breton, white). Or, a hypothesis says that Frankish *werra, went first to Gaul and became *gwerra and then spread to other Romance with the rise of Carolingian Empire, whose influence extended to Spain and northern Italy.

jal
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by jal »

sirdanilot wrote:But that leaves other language families, were such a central prestige language was not present. For example Germanic. And this makes it more difficult to prove that 'Proto-Germanic' was at any point in time one single language, and the germanic languages could have multiple ancestors (due to language contact).
Proto-Germanic is by definition the single, ancestral language of all Germanic languages. You can't just change definitions on the fly to prove a point.

JAL

KathTheDragon
Smeric
Smeric

Post by KathTheDragon »

And the fact that the reconstructed PGmc is very uniform (ie, we don't need to posit multiple forms very often to account for the data, and most are just remnants of older productive processes, such as Verner's Law, or IE ablaut) very strongly implies a single unitary protolanguage.

sirdanilot
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by sirdanilot »

jal wrote:
sirdanilot wrote:But that leaves other language families, were such a central prestige language was not present. For example Germanic. And this makes it more difficult to prove that 'Proto-Germanic' was at any point in time one single language, and the germanic languages could have multiple ancestors (due to language contact).
Proto-Germanic is by definition the single, ancestral language of all Germanic languages. You can't just change definitions on the fly to prove a point.

JAL
If you had read my earlier posts: I am not questioning the theoretical concept of Proto-languages As I said, when writing a paper on the relatedness of two Andean languages, I also constructed proto-forms for the few cognates I found in other to show a potential relationship. Now in this case the two languages turned out not to be related but that doesn't mean that the theoretical concept of a proto-language is in itself faulty.
What I am challenging is whether the Proto-Langs we reconstruct were ever actual extant spoken single languages. To me, this is too simple and too 'easy', because it does not take into account (enough) language contact and other 'difficulties'.

So I am not challenging the very concept of proto-language but the notion that proto-languages were at any point in time monolithic spoken languages with no variation.

sirdanilot
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by sirdanilot »

If you take an example of a more recent genetic divergence of languages: Afrikaans. One could tentatively say that Dutch is the proto-language of Afrikaans. But then, you run into all sorts of difficulties. For example, Dutch is not a monolithic language entity (certainly not at the time when Afrikaans diverged from Dutch were individual dialects were less standardized into one language than they often are now). Zeeuws, Hollands and other dialects, rather, form the basis of Afrikaans, and the reason it diverged from its mother languages is simply because south-africa is so far away from Holland. Another reason is language contact from languages spoken in South-Africa at that time and English.

I think that developments such as Afrikaans are not a rarity in the world, but they are the most common, and 'purely genetical language development' is more rare. Language contact probably accounts for at least half of the development of many languages, sometimes almost 100% (as in creoles), sometimes perhaps a bit less than half. I am not the only one 'to make this up' but this is a point that is made often in language contact linguistics. I cannot cite papers right now and the estimate probably varies a lot per scientist (half is quite a non-conservative estimate but it's not balls-to-the-walls crazy). The main point is most languages do not have one single ancestor. So Dutch is not the only ancestor of Afrikaans, west-germanic is not the only ancestor of Dutch and proto-germanic is not the only ancestor of west-germanic.
One name off the top of my head is Owens, I can look for more if you want.

One case were different languages might actually derive from one single language, could be for example Brazilian Portuguese from Portuguese (though they are not regarded different languages right now they might well be in the not-so-far future). But even then, who says that Portuguese was one monolithic language at the time? Perhaps Brazilian derives from a funny dialect of Portugal or something (I have not studied this). And this also does not take into acount the substantial amount of Tupi-Guarani borrowing into Brazilian portuguese.