English /tr dr/ affrication

Discussion of natural languages, or language in general.
dhok
Avisaru
Avisaru

English /tr dr/ affrication

Post by dhok »

Are there any dialects of English which do not affricate /t d/ to [tʃ dʒ] before /r/?

Drydic
Smeric
Smeric

Re: English /tr dr/ affrication

Post by Drydic »

Judging by my tree and drool, I don't consistently affricate them, if I ever do at all.
Image Image
Common Zein Scratchpad & other Stuffs! OMG AN ACTUAL CONPOST WTFBBQ

Formerly known as Drydic.

Terra
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Terra »

I assume that you're aware and not interested in cases where a dialect does affricate /tr/ and /dr/, but not when it follows /s/, like in <string> == /strIN/ == [StrIN].

vec
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by vec »

Well, I'd say it was more a case of r turning into a (non-sibilant) fricative and thus forming a cluster with the stop, not really an affricate necessarily.
vec

Nortaneous
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Nortaneous »

I affricate /tr/ much more than /dr/, if /dr/ is even affricated at all, which I'm not sure of.
Siöö jandeng raiglin zåbei tandiüłåd;
nää džunnfin kukuch vklaivei sivei tåd.
Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei.

Salmoneus
Sanno
Sanno

Post by Salmoneus »

Err.... sorry, I edited his post rather than quoting. Here's what I said:

Depends what you mean, I guess.

From a physical point of view, [t] is a stop (full contact), and [r] (English [r]) is an approximant (no contact). Moving from one to another, you must pass through a fricative (partial contact) stage - that's just physics.

However, how much time the tongue spends in the fricative stage may vary, as does whether the total motion closely resembles the motion you'd get from saying /tS/ followed by /r/.

Personally, the fricative is very, very brief and I wouldn't notice it if I didn't know it had to be there. And, besides, even if I extend the fricative, it's still nothing like my /tSr/ (apical-alveolar followed by retroflex approximant, vs labialised laminal postalveolar followed by (/coarticulated with) labiodental approximant with tongue tensing and possible dorsal-of-some-kind involvement (I assume pharyngeal because that's what everyone says is common, but I really couldn't tell myself)).
Blog: [url]http://vacuouswastrel.wordpress.com/[/url]

But the river tripped on her by and by, lapping
as though her heart was brook: Why, why, why! Weh, O weh
I'se so silly to be flowing but I no canna stay!

Particles the Greek
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Particles the Greek »

Mine... very slight affrication if any.
Non fidendus est crocodilus quis posteriorem dentem acerbum conquetur.

ol bofosh
Smeric
Smeric
Location: tʰæ.ɹʷˠə.ˈgɜʉ̯.nɜ kʰæ.tə.ˈlɜʉ̯.nʲɜ spɛ̝ɪ̯n ˈjʏː.ɹəʔp

Post by ol bofosh »

Whilst I have affrication coming out my ears!... so to speak.
To even attempt a none affricated /tr/ or /dr/ just feels weird to me.

It comes out as [t͡ʃʰʋ͡ɹ̠ʷˤ] and [d͡ʒʋ͡ɹ̠ʷˤ]. After /s/ the aspiration disappears.

My girlfriend (L1 French, fluent Spanish) also affricates before her /r/ (I think it's [ɽ]), but I'm not sure if she did that before or after meeting me.
It was about time I changed this.

Radius Solis
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Radius Solis »

I think I generally lack it. I had thought that I completely lacked it, but then one time a few months back I noticed I had just said I was going to get something to jrink. On the other hand, the fact I noticed, and sometimes notice it when people from Forn Parts are talking, suggests it really isn't a normal pronunciation for me; meanwhile, my /r/ has no articulatory reason to cause affrication as it has no coronal component.

edit: I hesitate to make a broad declaration about my "dialect", but I am in the same basic dialect region as Nessari.

Kereb
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Kereb »

I don't have a lot to contribue except to third what Nessari and Radius said, from another insider. I'm from the same general area as Radius, although on the other side of the duty-free shops, and I've also noticed* that this feature is one that we go light on in this neck of the woods.

*in the speech of others, cuz overanalysis of your own speech leads to observation artifacts and snowflakism -- it's better to think of it like this: you don't have a "dialect", but everyone who talks like you talk does.
<Anaxandridas> How many artists do you know get paid?
<Anaxandridas> Seriously, name five.

ObsequiousNewt
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by ObsequiousNewt »

ol bofosh wrote:Whilst I have affrication coming out my ears!... so to speak.

It comes out as [t͡ʃʰʋ͡ɹ̠ʷˤ] and [d͡ʒʋ͡ɹ̠ʷˤ]. After /s/ the aspiration disappears.

My girlfriend (L1 French, fluent Spanish) also affricates before her /r/ (I think it's [ɽ]), but I'm not sure if she did that before or after meeting me.
How do you do that?!

Ο ορανς τα ανα̨ριθομον ϝερρον εͱεν ανθροποτροφον.
Το̨ ανθροπς αυ̨τ εκψον επ αθο̨ οραναμο̨ϝον.
Θαιν. Θαιν. Θαιν. Θαιν. Θαιν. Θαιν. Θαιν.

Kereb
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Kereb »

I'LL CHOP YA UP PUT YA INSIDE THE MATTRESS LIKE JRUG MONEY
<Anaxandridas> How many artists do you know get paid?
<Anaxandridas> Seriously, name five.

Rhetorica
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Rhetorica »

I would want to say it's a stereotype of at least some prestigious Scottish and English accents to retain proper /tr/. I've started doing it habitually, much in the same way a neurotic who discovers a cockroach starts obsessively bleaching her entire apartment.

ol bofosh
Smeric
Smeric

Post by ol bofosh »

ObsequiousNewt wrote:

How do you do that?!
Affrication coming out the ears? Or the weird labialised, pharyngealised post-alveolar+labiodental approximant? Dunno, good breedin'. :-D

zompist
Boardlord
Boardlord

Post by zompist »

I'm curious about Americans, like Radius, who say they don't do this. I find it really hard to avoid the affrication. Could someone post a recording?

For comparison, here's myself saying "A dragon with stripes lives in the tree."

http://www.zompist.com/dragon-tree.wav

So far as I can judge, I have the affrication even after s. I can only get rid of it by replacing my retroflex r with something else (a flap or a trill).

KathTheDragon
Smeric
Smeric

Post by KathTheDragon »

Zompist, your voice is beautiful!

I find that (having the affrication everywhere) non-affricated /tr dr/ sound very Welsh or Irish to me.

Radius Solis
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Radius Solis »

zompist wrote:I'm curious about Americans, like Radius, who say they don't do this. I find it really hard to avoid the affrication. Could someone post a recording?

For comparison, here's myself saying "A dragon with stripes lives in the tree."

http://www.zompist.com/dragon-tree.wav

So far as I can judge, I have the affrication even after s. I can only get rid of it by replacing my retroflex r with something else (a flap or a trill).
If only I had a microphone.

On the other hand... well, stop release intrinsically passes through a brief fricative stage, and the only phonetic utility of the term "affrication" is to point out when that stage is long enough to be audible... and given that, I am not certain you have anything really worth calling affrication. It's nothing on the affrication I have heard in the speech of some other people.

What is clearly audible to me is a postalveolar POA on the stops. Is it possible you could be letting that POA affect your perception of their MOA, via their co-occurrence in the phonemes /tS dZ/?

I'd really like if someone who knows how could analyze your recording in Praat. I pulled it up in Praat myself, but it's kinda pointless because I can't really read spectrograms well. The only voiceless-fricative-like spots I can identify are the [T] in "with" and the aspiration in "tree". I'd be happy to post a screenshot if it would help someone give us a better analysis.

Bristel
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Bristel »

I think I do it with tree and dream, but I'm out in public, so I'll try to talk aloud at home later. ;)

I'm from the land of Si'alh as Radius is. I think my sister and brothers have/had a heavier affrication of tr/dr than I do. (but then again, we grew up as CODAs and they used to pronounce ice like [hais] with heavy frication too.)
[bɹ̠ˤʷɪs.təɫ]
Nōn quālibet inīquā cupiditāte illectus hoc agō
Yo te pongo en tu lugar...
Taisc mach Daró

ObsequiousNewt
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by ObsequiousNewt »

ol bofosh wrote:
ObsequiousNewt wrote:

How do you do that?!
Affrication coming out the ears? Or the weird labialised, pharyngealised post-alveolar+labiodental approximant? Dunno, good breedin'. :-D
No, I mean being able to transcribe yourself so precisely.
KathAveara wrote:Zompist, your voice is beautiful!
Agreed. Zompist, you should voice an audiobook for the LCK.

Ο ορανς τα ανα̨ριθομον ϝερρον εͱεν ανθροποτροφον.
Το̨ ανθροπς αυ̨τ εκψον επ αθο̨ οραναμο̨ϝον.
Θαιν. Θαιν. Θαιν. Θαιν. Θαιν. Θαιν. Θαιν.

Bristel
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Bristel »

Gives me an idea for a future English conlang… but something triggers it, initial mutation style a la Gaelic, or something else… Not sure if that's likely or not.
[bɹ̠ˤʷɪs.təɫ]
Nōn quālibet inīquā cupiditāte illectus hoc agō
Yo te pongo en tu lugar...
Taisc mach Daró

Rhetorica
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Rhetorica »

Bristel wrote:Gives me an idea for a future English conlang… but something triggers it, initial mutation style a la Gaelic, or something else… Not sure if that's likely or not.
Alternate history where tax havens control the world economy, causing prestige languages aplenty. Done!

ol bofosh
Smeric
Smeric

Post by ol bofosh »

ObsequiousNewt wrote:No, I mean being able to transcribe yourself so precisely.
A long process of trial and error. Partly discoveries and also looking on the Internet at related resources (Cockney resources have been useful). And I still might be wrong, but for the moment it's the one that fits.

My history of transcribing it is as follows: ʋ* :> ɹ :> ɹʷ :> ɹʷˠ :> ɹʷˤ :> ʋɹʷˤ :> ʋ͡ɹ̠ʷˤ

*I never transcribed it like this, but I thought my rhotic was a "lip sound" for many years before I knew anything about linguistics.
Last edited by ol bofosh on Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Buran
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Buran »

Bristel wrote:Gives me an idea for a future English conlang… but something triggers it, initial mutation style a la Gaelic, or something else… Not sure if that's likely or not.
I've noticed initial mutations in my own speech, actually; I deaspirate consonants between words. For example, "Did you find the car?" becomes something like /dʒə fa:jn ðə ka:r?/, note no aspiration on /k/ and /ɑ/ fronting to [a].

While I'm at it, I might as well list a few other changes. /t/ and /d/ affricate before /r/, but also before /j/. /æ/ and /ɛ/ are merging, while /ɛ/ in some places (for example in "leg") is being fronted to [e] (or /ɪ/? Perhaps all three will merge to /e/).

Maybe you should make /dʒə/ an interrogative particle in your conlang.

Zaarin
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Zaarin »

I certainly don't have any sibilant affricates in my /tr dr/, but I think I may have an epenthetic vowel so that it is more [tʰəɻ]--though in normal speech the schwa is almost inaudible.
"But if of ships I now should sing, what ship would come to me,
What ship would bear me ever back across so wide a Sea?”

PVER•PVERVM•AMAT
Sanci
Sanci

Post by PVER•PVERVM•AMAT »

I can choosee not to affricate them; my /r/ is postalveolar rather than retroflex, but I don't.