English /tr dr/ affrication

Discussion of natural languages, or language in general.
Drydic
Smeric
Smeric

Re: English /tr dr/ affrication

Post by Drydic »

...anyone can "choose" to not affricate them. And what variety of rhotic you have probably doesn't have a whole lot of bearing on the matter.
Image Image
Common Zein Scratchpad & other Stuffs! OMG AN ACTUAL CONPOST WTFBBQ

Formerly known as Drydic.

DTheZombie
Niš
Niš

Post by DTheZombie »

If I'm thinking right my dialect is North Midlands American English. It's funny I never noticed affrication there until I read this thread and payed attention. My <tr> is lightly affricated if anything probably closer to/tʃ͡r/ so my <trip> is something like /tʃ͡rɪp/. As someone said previously the <r> may just be lightly fricated at the beginning but I definitely hear both a fricative-like phone and an approximate-like phone and it sounds quite different from my /tʃ͡/ in <chip> (/tʃ͡ɪp/). My <dr> however is a plain stop-approximate sequence /dr/ ( <drip> = /drɪp/) and sounds nothing like my /dʒ͡/ in <gyp> /dʒ͡ɪp/ (had to look up how to spell that lol).
"That was the Dependency Principle; that you could never forget where your off switches were located, even if it was somewhere tiresome." Iain M. Banks' Excession (ch.4)

2+3 clusivity
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by 2+3 clusivity »

Yet another English pronunciation thread? I'll bite.
zompist wrote:So far as I can judge, I have the affrication even after s. I can only get rid of it by replacing my retroflex r with something else (a flap or a trill).
Hungh. I've noticed this affrication before with /tɻ/ and /dɻ/, but I have never noticed it with /stɻ/ sequences. I wonder if my distribution parallels the more general restriction on aspiration following /s/ + stop clusters.
DTheZombie wrote:If I'm thinking right my dialect is North Midlands American English. It's funny I never noticed affrication there until I read this thread and payed attention. My <tr> is lightly affricated if anything probably closer to/tʃ͡r/ so my <trip> is something like /tʃ͡rɪp/. As someone said previously the <r> may just be lightly fricated at the beginning but I definitely hear both a fricative-like phone and an approximate-like phone and it sounds quite different from my /tʃ͡/ in <chip> (/tʃ͡ɪp/). My <dr> however is a plain stop-approximate sequence /dr/ ( <drip> = /drɪp/) and sounds nothing like my /dʒ͡/ in <gyp> /dʒ͡ɪp/ (had to look up how to spell that lol).
Midatlantic American with some "redneck" tendencies slowly evaporating into a TV accent background. I have something similar with /tɻ/ (<train> which is almost [ʈ͡ʂɻ]) sounding very different from /tʃ͡/ (<chain>)--and also with /dʒ͡/ (as in <juice>) v. /dɻ/ (as in <druid> or almost [ɖ͡ʐɻ]). There seems to be a very different angle of the tongue and tongue tip in each pair.
linguoboy wrote:So that's what it looks like when the master satirist is moistened by his own moutarde.

DTheZombie
Niš
Niš

Post by DTheZombie »

I've actually heard my dialect is one of, if not the "closest" to SAE at least in pronunciation and a lot of people come to Indy for "accent reduction therapy" or whatever they call it so yeah a TV accent background is about right and I won't deny the "redneck tendencies" as a lot of my family speak some of the more "southern" sounding dialects of the state.
"That was the Dependency Principle; that you could never forget where your off switches were located, even if it was somewhere tiresome." Iain M. Banks' Excession (ch.4)