Are palatals coronal or dorsal?

Discussion of natural languages, or language in general.
PVER•PVERVM•AMAT
Sanci
Sanci

Are palatals coronal or dorsal?

Post by PVER•PVERVM•AMAT »

Which is the correct way? I seem to be able to strike my palate with both the tip and the body of my tounge; which is correct?

Aurora Rossa
Smeric
Smeric

Re: Are palatals coronal or dorsal?

Post by Aurora Rossa »

I think it would depend on the language and the diachronic origin of the palatal series. Some languages may treat them like dorsal stops if they derive from palatalized velars while others might treat them more like coronals if they derive from palatalized alveolars.
"There was a particular car I soon came to think of as distinctly St. Louis-ish: a gigantic white S.U.V. with a W. bumper sticker on it for George W. Bush."

ObsequiousNewt
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by ObsequiousNewt »

Wikipedia wrote:Palatal consonants are consonants articulated with the body of the tongue raised against the hard palate (the middle part of the roof of the mouth).
They are dorsal. If you articulate it coronally, it's retroflex.

Ο ορανς τα ανα̨ριθομον ϝερρον εͱεν ανθροποτροφον.
Το̨ ανθροπς αυ̨τ εκψον επ αθο̨ οραναμο̨ϝον.
Θαιν. Θαιν. Θαιν. Θαιν. Θαιν. Θαιν. Θαιν.

Nortaneous
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Nortaneous »

they can be either, eddy is right even though he is doing the usual terrible plato well-gee-if-i-just-think-hard-at-it-enough-i-can-solve-anything thing and not giving examples (they're coronal in albanian and the chinese langs that have them and dorsal in irish gaelic)
ObsequiousNewt wrote:
Wikipedia wrote:Palatal consonants are consonants articulated with the body of the tongue raised against the hard palate (the middle part of the roof of the mouth).
They are dorsal. If you articulate it coronally, it's retroflex.
no, no, this is wrong, you are wrong, alveolopalatals are a thing. they really should add ȶ ȡ ȵ ȴ to the IPA considering that alveolopalatals and velopalatals contrast in at least one natlang
Siöö jandeng raiglin zåbei tandiüłåd;
nää džunnfin kukuch vklaivei sivei tåd.
Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei.

Jess
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Jess »

I'm under the impression that it's just an imprecise term, an archi-POA if you will, that is applied to several different phonetic realizations which may be further specified if necessary. That said, if someone is using the term in a more narrow, phonetic sense (e.g., treating "palatal" and "alveolopalatal" as mutually exclusive categories instead of a superset/subset relationship), I think the prototypical/cardinal palatal is dorsal.
Nortaneous wrote:they really should add ȶ ȡ ȵ ȴ to the IPA considering that alveolopalatals and velopalatals contrast in at least one natlang
Ooooh really? Which one?
Exits, pursued by a bear.

----
Smeric
Smeric

Post by ---- »

Lhasa Tibetan distinguishes /tɕ/ from /c/, which is almost the same thing I suppose.

Also Yeli Dnye doesn't have "true palatals" but it does distinguish palatalized dentals, palatalized alveolars, and palatalized velars.

Nortaneous
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Nortaneous »

Jess wrote:I'm under the impression that it's just an imprecise term, an archi-POA if you will, that is applied to several different phonetic realizations which may be further specified if necessary.
exactly. a palatal is anything between alveolar and velar that isn't apical.
Nortaneous wrote:they really should add ȶ ȡ ȵ ȴ to the IPA considering that alveolopalatals and velopalatals contrast in at least one natlang
Ooooh really? Which one?
yanyuwa

Radius Solis
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Radius Solis »

Nort is right.

"Palatal" is a fake POA phonetically. It's a very real phonological POA - it's extremely common for there to be a series of sounds between the /t/ and /k/ series - but phonetically, exactly what sort of sounds a language fills that space with is a crapshoot. It can be anything from a slightly-forward version of [k] to a somewhat-backed or laminal alveolar affricate. In describing phonology any such series can loosely be labelled "palatal" if there's only one - English is a good example, occasionally you'll see our /tS dZ S Z j/ called "palatal" - but it doesn't imply much anything about the articulation. Thus in describing phonetics, aside from the approximant, it is often best to avoid the term. There is no single articulation that makes a "true [c]".

Nortaneous
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Nortaneous »

The thing between /t/ and /k/ can even be /ts/.

Are there any languages that do odd things with their /j/ like Japanese and Yele do with /w/? Besides Tsou, which just lowers it to a semivowel version of [e].

Then again, those languages would probably not be described as having /j/. /w/ is just any sort of labial usually-coarticulated approximant; there's a lot more room for weird shit there before it stops being /w/. The only variant of /j/ I've seen is the Tsou thing and raising it to a fricative like what Proto-Basque is reconstructed as having; anything weirder than that would probably be called something else, I'm guessing.

kodé
Lebom
Lebom

Post by kodé »

Some old-school feature geometry approaches to segments treat palatals as having both a coronal and dorsal specifications.
linguoboy wrote:
GrinningManiac wrote:Local pronunciation - /ˈtoʊ.stə/
Ah, so now I know where Towcester pastries originated! Cheers.

Ser
Smeric
Smeric
Location: Vancouver, British Columbia / Colombie Britannique, Canada

Post by Ser »

Nortaneous wrote:The thing between /t/ and /k/ can even be /ts/.

Are there any languages that do odd things with their /j/ like Japanese and Yele do with /w/? Besides Tsou, which just lowers it to a semivowel version of [e].
Spanish [ i], [j] and [dʒ] (or their dialectal variants, [ i]~[ʝ]~[ɟʝ] if you will) are often analyzed as the same phoneme: /i/. This explains why Spanish speakers in the US often pronounce English you as [dʒu], and teenager [ti.ˈne.jeɾ], if you were wondering.

This is particularly striking for urban Argentinian Spanish, where [ i], [ʃ]~[ʒ] and [dʒ] can effectively be analyzed as the same phoneme /i/. Niño /ˈni.ɲo/ [ˈni.ɲo], allá /a.ˈia/ [a.ˈʃa]~[a.ˈʒa], en llave /en.ˈia.be/ [en.ˈdʒa.βe]. It seems that the strong phonetic differences between [ʃ] and [ i]/[dʒ] are already destabilizing the system though, and there are Argentinians who distinguish the two as different phonemes: [ˈʃeɾ.βa]~[ˈʒeɾ.βa] 'weed' vs. [ˈjeɾ.βa]~[ˈdʒeɾ.βa] 'grass' (both words are the same word hierba /ˈieɾ.ba/ in other dialects).

Besides this, there are also speakers who believe that hiV- and yV-, as in hielo 'ice' and yendo 'going', should be pronounced differently (as [j-] and [ˈdʒ-], or [j-] and [ʝ-]~[ɟʝ-], respectively) because they're spelled differently. (The Academies have been insisting for decades these hiV-'s and yV-'s are pronounced the same way though.) Naturally, many find this awkward, and the hypercorrected pronounciation hielo [i.ˈe.lo] is heard from people attempting to pronounce [ˈje.lo].

Lowering intervocalic /i/ [j] to a semivowel [e] is a thing in Mexican/Central American Spanish too.

There is some Romance language or particular dialect I can't remember where word-final /j/ can be devoiced to something phonetically similar to [ʃ].

Going back to /w/, [ u], [ɣw] and [gw] are traditionally analyzed as the same phoneme in Spanish too, /u/, with the same allophone distribution you find in /i/ [ i]~[j]~[dʒ] (or [ i]~[ʝ]~[ɟʝ]). English is having a hand in phonologizing a /gw/ vs. /u/ distinction though: pronouncing borrowings such as whisky with [gwi]~[ɣwi] is stigmatized among speakers better familiar with English, who insist should start with [w]: [ˈwis.ki]. Naturally, many find this awkward, and the hypercorrection [u.ˈis.ki] is also heard from people who try too hard.
Last edited by Ser on Fri Dec 20, 2013 3:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nortaneous
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Nortaneous »

so what's the minimum number of consonants any dialect of spanish can be analyzed as having? as far as i can tell the minimum is 14 (p b t d k g m n J f s x 4 l). any way to get rid of two more?

vec
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by vec »

Nortaneous wrote:so what's the minimum number of consonants any dialect of spanish can be analyzed as having? as far as i can tell the minimum is 14 (p b t d k g m n J f s x 4 l). any way to get rid of two more?
Are you analysing ñ as /ni/?
vec

Hallow XIII
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Hallow XIII »

no that is what X-SAMPA <J> stands for
陳第 wrote:蓋時有古今,地有南北;字有更革,音有轉移,亦勢所必至。
R.Rusanov wrote:seks istiyorum
sex want-PRS-1sg
Read all about my excellent conlangs
Basic Conlanging Advice

KathTheDragon
Smeric
Smeric

Post by KathTheDragon »

Nortaneous wrote:(p b t d k g m n J f s x 4 l)
= /p b t d k g m n ɲ f s x ɾ l/, for those who don't read X-SAMPA

vec
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by vec »

Ah! Gotcha. My X-SAMPA is getting very rusty.
vec

Drydic
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Drydic »

Serafin wrote:Going back to /w/, [ u], [ɣw] and [gw] are traditionally analyzed as the same phoneme in Spanish too, /u/, with the same allophone distribution you find in /i/ [ i]~[j]~[dʒ] (or [ i]~[ʝ]~[ɟʝ]). English is having a hand in phonologizing a /gw/ vs. /u/ distinction though: pronouncing borrowings such as whisky with [gwi]~[ɣwi] is stigmatized among speakers better familiar with English, who insist should start with [w]: [ˈwis.ki]. Naturally, many find this awkward, and the hypercorrection [u.ˈis.ki] is also heard from people who try too hard.
Are you seriously saying that agua is analyzed as /aua/?
Image Image
Common Zein Scratchpad & other Stuffs! OMG AN ACTUAL CONPOST WTFBBQ

Formerly known as Drydic.

Ser
Smeric
Smeric
Location: Vancouver, British Columbia / Colombie Britannique, Canada

Post by Ser »

vec wrote:Ah! Gotcha. My X-SAMPA is getting very rusty.
He did forget /tS/ though.
Nessari wrote:Are you seriously saying that agua is analyzed as /aua/?
Yes, /ˈa.ua/ [ˈa.ɣwa], since [ˈawa] (or any sort of intervocalic [w]) doesn't exist (unless you're one of those speakers severely influenced by English).

Thry
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Thry »

Serafín you make me cringe everyday.

chihuahua, cacahuete, microhuerta?

I'd surely read microhuerta and microgüerta if it existed differently?!?!

I must be one of those speakers severely influenced by English.

PS: also it wouldn't be a sin to even analyze them as /"a.gwa/ [a.Gwa] and /mi.k4o."we4.ta/ [mi.k4o."Gwe4.ta], I've never seen this supposed trend of analyzing them merged phonemically [though who cares about phonemes nowadays].