Quick question about Polish

Discussion of natural languages, or language in general.
alice
Avisaru
Avisaru

Quick question about Polish

Post by alice »

Presumably "on the threshold" is <preposition> praga-some-case. The case is presumably the locative; what is the preposition?
Zompist's Markov generator wrote:it was labelled" orange marmalade," but that is unutterably hideous.

Pole, the
Smeric
Smeric

Re: Quick question about Polish

Post by Pole, the »

alice wrote:Presumably "on the threshold" is <preposition> praga-some-case. The case is presumably the locative; what is the preposition?
I think you mean „na progu” (indeed locative of „próg”), although there is also „w progu” “on the (literal) doorstep; in the door” and „u progu” “near the threshold; right before the starting point”.

If you know some Polish, you can compare the usage context in the National Corpus.
The conlanger formerly known as “the conlanger formerly known as Pole, the”.

If we don't study the mistakes of the future we're doomed to repeat them for the first time.

linguoboy
Sanno
Sanno

Post by linguoboy »

Pole, the wrote:
alice wrote:Presumably "on the threshold" is <preposition> praga-some-case. The case is presumably the locative; what is the preposition?
I think you mean „na progu” (indeed locative of „próg”), although there is also „w progu” “on the (literal) doorstep; in the door” and „u progu” “near the threshold; right before the starting point”.
Though I found the title of Lovecraft's "The thing on the doorstep" translated as Coś na progu.

Pole, the
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Pole, the »

linguoboy wrote: Though I found the title of Lovecraft's "The thing on the doorstep" translated as Coś na progu.
Well, that's also correct.
The conlanger formerly known as “the conlanger formerly known as Pole, the”.

If we don't study the mistakes of the future we're doomed to repeat them for the first time.