Loss of tone, resulting in...what?

Discussion of natural languages, or language in general.
Das Baron
Sanci
Sanci

Loss of tone, resulting in...what?

Post by Das Baron »

I've been reading up on the various ways languages can acquire tone, but haven't found much on how they can lose it. I know a simple tone system like high/neutral can equalize the tones and leave an effect on the vowel, such as length, but what about a complex system like that of Chinese? Or, to put it simply, what kinds of effects can tones, especially contour tones, leave on vowels or consonants when they're lost? Thanks.
AKA Benjaburns

Vijay
Smeric
Smeric

Re: Loss of tone, resulting in...what?

Post by Vijay »

IINM the Wu languages have pitch-accent systems that evolved from an earlier (Middle Chinese?) tone system.

EDIT: Or maybe the Bantu languages would be a better place to look, since a lot (if not most) of them have tones but Swahili for example does not.

EDIT2: Not that I've looked into this carefully or anything, but I get the impression that basically what happens is that tones can merge over time, and they can merge so much that eventually you get only a two-way contrast in the end anyway, and then getting to a system that only has stress is just a hop, skip, and jump away from there.

mèþru
Smeric
Smeric

Post by mèþru »

Can't tones become new codas?
ìtsanso, God In The Mountain, may our names inspire the deepest feelings of fear in urkos and all his ilk, for we have saved another man from his lies! I welcome back to the feast hall kal, who will never gamble again! May the eleven gods bless him!
kårroť

Vijay
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Vijay »

Idk, can they? :P I'm pretty sure codas can become tones, but I don't know whether it works the other way around, too.

mèþru
Smeric
Smeric

Post by mèþru »

I don't know either. I guess that they can, because I saw tones and coda glottals/pharyngeals occur as different realisations of the same thing in various conlangs on the romanisation thread. These glottals/phayngeals could then possibly be coloured by the preceding vowel.
ìtsanso, God In The Mountain, may our names inspire the deepest feelings of fear in urkos and all his ilk, for we have saved another man from his lies! I welcome back to the feast hall kal, who will never gamble again! May the eleven gods bless him!
kårroť

Sumelic
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Sumelic »

Das Baron wrote:I've been reading up on the various ways languages can acquire tone, but haven't found much on how they can lose it. I know a simple tone system like high/neutral can equalize the tones and leave an effect on the vowel, such as length, but what about a complex system like that of Chinese? Or, to put it simply, what kinds of effects can tones, especially contour tones, leave on vowels or consonants when they're lost? Thanks.
Well, obviously, it can just be lost without any effects. Tones turning into codas seems odd to me, but I think it would be likely for them to turn into different kinds of phonation on vowels, since phenomena like "vocal fry" are often connected to tone levels. For example, Danish stød apparently correlates to differences in pitch accent in some dialects, although I don't know how they are related in terms of historical development.

Pogostick Man
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Pogostick Man »

I don't know if it's attested anywhere, but low tone > creaky voice seems plausible enough to me.
(Avatar via Happy Wheels Wiki)
Index Diachronica PDF v.10.2
Conworld megathread

AVDIO · VIDEO · DISCO

mèþru
Smeric
Smeric

Post by mèþru »

From another tone thread with the same topic (viewtopic.php?f=7&t=33678):
Etherman wrote:As everyone knows, consonants can have an effect on tone (or even create it out of whole cloth). The reverse is true, although much rarer.

Though I don't know of any real world examples, I suppose that tone could effect the development of vowels. Especially since tone is often accompanied by a secondary feature like glottalization or creaky voice.
kårroť

mèþru
Smeric
Smeric

Post by mèþru »

Isn't creaky voice > vowel + glottal stop also plausible? Then the glottal stop can be coloured by the vowel or other consonants, creating new codas:
/mi˨.mi˨/ > /mḭ.mḭ/ > [miʔ.miʔ] > /mit.mit/
/mi˨.mi˨/ > /mḭ.mḭ/ > [miʔ.miʔ] > /miŋ.mit/
/mi˨.mi˨/ > /mḭ.mḭ/ > [miʔ.miʔ] > /mim.mit/
kårroť

vec
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by vec »

Tones are typically not codas, but supersegmentals, i.e. features of the vowels/syllables them selves, rather than consonantal components.
vec

Travis B.
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Travis B. »

vec wrote:Tones are typically not codas, but supersegmentals, i.e. features of the vowels/syllables them selves, rather than consonantal components.
I think the idea is that tone is often associated with phonation, and tone becoming creaky voicing alone could in turn result in syllables with glottal-stop codas.
Dibotahamdn duthma jallni agaynni ra hgitn lakrhmi.
Amuhawr jalla vowa vta hlakrhi hdm duthmi xaja.
Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro.

M Mira
Lebom
Lebom

Post by M Mira »

Middle Chinese tones conditioned whether a consonant is aspirated after devoicing, though the tones aren't really lost.
http://www.frathwiki.com/Chinese_sound_ ... ces#Onsets

Tropylium
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Tropylium »

I'm reading a draft of an upcoming book on African historica linguistics (by Gert Dimmendal); he reports that the effect of tone on other vowel features is not very well-researched, but that a few cases are known: his example is the Teso-Turkana group of Nilotic, where vowels with complex tone were preserved word-finally vs. vowels with single tone become devoiced.
[ˌʔaɪsəˈpʰɻ̊ʷoʊpɪɫ ˈʔæɫkəɦɔɫ]