What do you do with a walk?

Discussion of natural languages, or language in general.
Yagia
Lebom
Lebom

Re: What do you do with a walk?

Post by Yagia »

Dutch equivalents:

go for a walk - (een eindje) gaan wandelen (go walking; 'een eindje' would loosely translate as 'for some time / for a short distance')
take a shower - een douche nemen (= take a shower), onder de douche gaan (go under the shower), douchen (to shower); but cf. ze staat onder de douche - she's taking a shower!
take a nap - een dutje doen (to do a nap)
take a break - pauze houden (lit. 'hold a pause'), rust nemen ('take rest'), even stoppen ('stop for a while')
take a look - een kijkje nemen ('to take a little look'- Dutch is famous for using diminuitives everywhere); gaan kijken ('go have a look')

take a piss - gaan pissen
get/have a drink - wat drinken, wat gaan drinken ('have something to drink' - 'wat' translates as 'something')
get/have/eat dinner - gaan eten; de maaltijd gebruiken ('to use the meal'); dineren (formal: to dine)

What Hwhatting already mentioned with regard to German, goes for Dutch too, mostly.
Affacite iago Vayardyio fidigou accronésara! http://conlang.wikia.com/wiki/Vayardyio

احمکي ارش-ھجن
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by احمکي ارش-ھجن »

I realized that there is one instance where I do something with a verb.

I often say "take a lesson" as opposed to "learn a lesson"
ʾAšol ḵavad pulqam ʾifbižen lav ʾifšimeḻ lit maseḡrad lav lit n͛ubad. ʾUpulasim ṗal sa-panžun lav sa-ḥadṇ lav ṗal šarmaḵeš lit ʾaẏṭ waẏyadanun wižqanam.
- Article 1 of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights.

GreenBowTie
Lebom
Lebom

Post by GreenBowTie »

what do i do with a walk?, mister, i fuck that walk

CatDoom
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by CatDoom »

It occurs to me that "take a walk" and "go for a walk" both sound perfectly fine to me, but it's *always* "go for a swim", and "take a swim" sounds wrong. Furthermore "I'm going to go for a nap" sounds wrong ("take a nap" is the idiom I'm used to), but "I could go for a nap", meaning roughly "I would enjoy taking a nap right now", is perfectly fine. Then again, I might say "I could go for a bagel" to mean that I would enjoy eating a bagel (even if the bagels were right in front of me), but if I said "I'm going for bagels" it would specifically mean that I was leaving in order to go to a store and purchase bagels. Bwaa....