'Citisen'

Discussion of natural languages, or language in general.
PVER•PVERVM•AMAT
Sanci
Sanci

'Citisen'

Post by PVER•PVERVM•AMAT »

Where does the non-standard pronunciation of 'citizen' with /s/ in /z/'s stead come from, and how did it become so widespread? It isn't a spelling pronunciation, not even of an archaic spelling; the word was formerly 'citizein', but 'denizen' influenced its spelling. Even so, no one says 'denizen' with /s/.

Matrix
Avisaru
Avisaru

Re: 'Citisen'

Post by Matrix »

Maybe they're assimilating it with the voicless /c/ [s] and /t/?

Adúljôžal ônal kol ví éža únah kex yaxlr gmlĥ hôga jô ônal kru ansu frú.
Ansu frú ônal savel zaš gmlĥ a vek Adúljôžal vé jaga čaþ kex.
Ônal zeh. Ônal zeh. Ônal zeh. Ônal zeh. Ônal zeh. Ônal zeh. Ônal zeh.

PVER•PVERVM•AMAT
Sanci
Sanci

Post by PVER•PVERVM•AMAT »

The <c> in 'citizen' does not represent a voiceless palatal stop that allophonically becomes a voiceless alveolar sibilant fricative. Both the phoneme and its realization should be transcribed as a plain s (perhaps with diacritics for its realization).

CaesarVincens
Lebom
Lebom

Post by CaesarVincens »

I'd agree with Matrix that the most likely source is assimilation toward the preceding voiceless phones. Voicing in many English dialects is usually fairly weak anyway.

Edit:
I might even transcribe the word as [ˈsɪtɪz̥ən] with a devoiced /z/. Similar to words like 'hands' [hændz̥] with final devoicing.

Nortaneous
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Nortaneous »

It would have to be old then, since AmE merges t d / V_V as [4], and the distinction isn't maintained except after /ai/.
Siöö jandeng raiglin zåbei tandiüłåd;
nää džunnfin kukuch vklaivei sivei tåd.
Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei.

CaesarVincens
Lebom
Lebom

Post by CaesarVincens »

Nortaneous wrote:It would have to be old then, since AmE merges t d / V_V as [4], and the distinction isn't maintained except after /ai/.
That's true, but since [ɾ] isn't phonemic in English, I think the average American English speaker isn't aware that they aren't saying a /t/. But that could be a wrinkle the voicing assimilation hypothesis.

CatDoom
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by CatDoom »

CaesarVincens wrote:That's true, but since [ɾ] isn't phonemic in English, I think the average American English speaker isn't aware that they aren't saying a /t/. But that could be a wrinkle the voicing assimilation hypothesis.
I know I wasn't... I still have a lot of trouble pronouncing [ɾ] in other positions; I usually just end up saying [d].