Question about Mallorcan Catalan

Discussion of natural languages, or language in general.
Particles the Greek
Lebom
Lebom

Question about Mallorcan Catalan

Post by Particles the Greek »

I have in front of me a tile from the village of Valdemossa bearing an image from the life of the patron saint and the text "Santa Catalina Thomas pregau per nosaltres". What exactly is "pregau"? Obviously it's a form of "pregar", but none of my sources can tell me which one.
Non fidendus est crocodilus quis posteriorem dentem acerbum conquetur.

Dewrad
Sanno
Sanno

Re: Question about Mallorcan Catalan

Post by Dewrad »

Second person plural of the present indicative, used as an imperative.
Some useful Dravian links: Grammar - Lexicon - Ask a Dravian
Salmoneus wrote:(NB Dewrad is behaving like an adult - a petty, sarcastic and uncharitable adult, admittedly, but none the less note the infinitely higher quality of flame)

linguoboy
Sanno
Sanno

Post by linguoboy »

Dewrad wrote:Second person plural of the present indicative, used as an imperative.
I.e., the equivalent of Standard Catalan pregueu.

Use of vós as a polite form of address comparable to French vous used to be widespread in Catalan.

Particles the Greek
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Particles the Greek »

I thought it might have been a reflex of the preterite precavit... anyway, thanks for plugging an annoying gap in my knowledge :-)
Non fidendus est crocodilus quis posteriorem dentem acerbum conquetur.

Dewrad
Sanno
Sanno

Post by Dewrad »

araceli wrote:I thought it might have been a reflex of the preterite precavit... anyway, thanks for plugging an annoying gap in my knowledge :-)
On account of being fucked up, Catalan changes mediaeval word-final [ts] into [w]. So it's a regular reflex of *precātis.
Salmoneus wrote:(NB Dewrad is behaving like an adult - a petty, sarcastic and uncharitable adult, admittedly, but none the less note the infinitely higher quality of flame)

linguoboy
Sanno
Sanno

Post by linguoboy »

araceli wrote:I thought it might have been a reflex of the preterite precavit...
AFAIK, that yields pregà in all varieties (not that it sees much use these days).

hwhatting
Smeric
Smeric

Post by hwhatting »

Dewrad wrote:On account of being fucked up, Catalan changes mediaeval word-final [ts] into [w]. So it's a regular reflex of *precātis.
That's quite an unusual sound change. Are there any attested intermediate steps?

linguoboy
Sanno
Sanno

Post by linguoboy »

Was it [ts], Dewrad, or was it [dz]? Because we also have nonfinal examples like raó < RATIONE(M) and treure < TRACERE where the segment was definitely voiced. I could be wrong (it's been a while since I read up on these things), but I thought final devoicing postdated loss of /dz/.

Dewrad
Sanno
Sanno

Post by Dewrad »

On reflection, it was most likely something like [dz]: final devoicing occured independently in both Occitan and Catalan and must have postdated the [dz] > [w] change in Catalan.

Nortaneous
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Nortaneous »

didn't dz merge with ð before > w
Siöö jandeng raiglin zåbei tandiüłåd;
nää džunnfin kukuch vklaivei sivei tåd.
Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei.

Thry
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Thry »

My conlang has that, but I think Catalan has more like d > ð > d > t actually. (vert, ciutat, parlat?)

Also treure is analogized with treu from *tracit (traz), linguoboy, afaik, so not a real good example: middle voiced -z- tended to ellide, like in fer or dir (fazer, dizer).

R.Rusanov
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by R.Rusanov »

maybe dh>w only word finally?
Slava, čĭstŭ, hrabrostĭ!

Thry
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Thry »

Wikipedia wrote:Unusual development of early /(d)z/, resulting from merger of Proto-Western-Romance /ð/ (from intervocalic -d-) and /dz/ (from intervocalic -ty-, -c(e)-, -c(i)-); see note above about a similar merger in Occitan. In early Old Catalan, became /w/ finally or before a consonant, remained as /(d)z/ between vowels. In later Old Catalan, /(d)z/ lost between vowels:

pedem 'foot' → peu
crucem 'cross' → creu, crēdit 'he believes' → (ell) creu
Verbs in second-person plural ending in -tis: mirātis 'you (pl.) look' → *miratz → mirau → mireu/mirau
ratiōnem 'reason' → *razó → raó
vicīnum 'neighbor' → *vezí → veí
recipere 'to receive' → *rezebre → rebre
Common features Gallo-Romance languages

Loss of final unstressed vowels except -a (mūrum 'wall' → *muro → mur, flōrem 'flower' → flor); cf. the maintenance of all final vowels except -e in Spanish and Portuguese, e.g. muro but flor; Italo-Romance maintains all final vowels (Italian muro, fiore). The resulting final voiced obstruents undergo devoicing: frigidvs ('cold') → fred [ˈfɾɛt] or [ˈfɾet].
Yeah, upon second thought maybe simply d > t finally and both dh and dz > w finally (final dh from earlier intervocal -d-).