Nationalism and fringe linguistics

Discussion of natural languages, or language in general.
Particles the Greek
Lebom
Lebom

Re: Nationalism and fringe linguistics

Post by Particles the Greek »

must... not... mention... that... Basque... guy...
Non fidendus est crocodilus quis posteriorem dentem acerbum conquetur.

Yng
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Yng »

yeah I'd imagine these claims are made whimsically in a lot of languages but we have dumb quotes about mugging other languages for loose grammar and whole books written by pseudoacademics like bill bryson about how ~~~whacky~~~ the english language is!!!! why do we DRIVE in a PARKway but PARK in a DRIVEway?! hohohohoho
كان يا ما كان / يا صمت العشية / قمري هاجر في الصبح بعيدا / في العيون العسلية

tà yi póbo tsùtsùr ciivà dè!

short texts in Cuhbi

Risha Cuhbi grammar

WeepingElf
Smeric
Smeric

Post by WeepingElf »

Glossophilos wrote:Of course, no continuity can be claimed with the classical alphabet, as the earliest Greek alphabet was Linear A, which is totally different and unrelated.
ObNitpick: Linear B. The language of Linear A is unknown, as the script is only partly deciphered. But that doesn't affect your point.
...brought to you by the Weeping Elf
Tha cvastam émi cvastam santham amal phelsa. -- Friedrich Schiller
ESTAR-3SG:P human-OBJ only human-OBJ true-OBJ REL-LOC play-3SG:A

Imralu
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Imralu »

Relevant. Also, the comments do seem to indicate this is very common.
Glossing Abbreviations: COMP = comparative, C = complementiser, ACS / ICS = accessible / inaccessible, GDV = gerundive, SPEC / NSPC = specific / non-specific
________
MY MUSIC

Terra
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Terra »

Imralu wrote:Relevant. Also, the comments do seem to indicate this is very common.
(Psst. Dewrad already posted that on the first page.)

Nortaneous
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Nortaneous »

The myths for English are at least understandable -- it really does have many more (noticeable) loanwords than the obvious languages for comparison. The languages a ~cultured~ English-speaker was most likely to encounter were (probably) Latin and French, and then maybe they come across German and realize that it looks less like English than French does.

It's nowhere near the only language in Europe to have those characteristics -- Basque has borrowed affixes from Latin, and Albanian, Hungarian, Romanian, etc. have vaguely comparable levels of loans -- but who's going to come across Basque, Albanian, Hungarian, or Romanian?

(I forget what the Basque guy's deal was, other than not understanding that sound correspondences are supposed to be regular. Vasco-Caucasian, or?)

Also, yeah, Greek went through loads of alphabets before the Greek alphabet came along, and the Greek alphabet itself had a good deal of variance when it spread to Etruscan and so on.
Siöö jandeng raiglin zåbei tandiüłåd;
nää džunnfin kukuch vklaivei sivei tåd.
Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei.

Qwynegold
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Qwynegold »

OP: Did you see this thread?
My most recent quiz:
Eurovision Song Contest 2018

Glossophilos
Niš
Niš

Post by Glossophilos »

Nope. I intended to open this thread discussing the alleged "unique properties" of Greek, and the denial of the IE theory, but then I thought that this would make the thread too narrow, so I put a more generic title :)

Dewrad
Sanno
Sanno

Post by Dewrad »

Terra wrote:
Imralu wrote:Relevant. Also, the comments do seem to indicate this is very common.
(Psst. Dewrad already posted that on the first page.)
Yeah, but I was showing off and posted it in Greek.
Some useful Dravian links: Grammar - Lexicon - Ask a Dravian
Salmoneus wrote:(NB Dewrad is behaving like an adult - a petty, sarcastic and uncharitable adult, admittedly, but none the less note the infinitely higher quality of flame)

Radagast revived
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Radagast revived »

I think it is found to different degrees in all kinds of nationalism - nationalism after all is based on the Herderian/Humbolditan ideology of one people, one language one nation. In the US there are people who believe Jesus spoke English and that it is the original language of the Bible. Its easier to convince folks of being nationalists and that belonging to a national state is a great idea if there is something truly special about belonging to nation X if there is something truly special about that nation and its language and territory.

I work with Mexican Nationalism and Nahuatl, which also has a lot of this. USually it was mostly Chicano activists and a few urban Mexicans who used Nahuatl for nationalist purposes who would make weird claims about the languages origin - but recently a couple of serious scholars have taken it up. One french archeologist argues that Nahuatl speakers must have been the culture that started the Mesoamerican civilization - with hardly any other argument than "who else could it have been? the Aztecs are biologically programmed to conquer other peoples." One linguist has taken up this argument and built a pseudo linguistic prehistory of Nahuan languages based on the assumption that Nahuatl dialects have not changed over the past 3000 years.

Matrix
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Matrix »

Radagast revived wrote:One french archeologist argues that Nahuatl speakers must have been the culture that started the Mesoamerican civilization
So, what, they're just completely ignoring the Olmecs?

Adúljôžal ônal kol ví éža únah kex yaxlr gmlĥ hôga jô ônal kru ansu frú.
Ansu frú ônal savel zaš gmlĥ a vek Adúljôžal vé jaga čaþ kex.
Ônal zeh. Ônal zeh. Ônal zeh. Ônal zeh. Ônal zeh. Ônal zeh. Ônal zeh.

Radagast revived
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Radagast revived »

No, they are claiming the Olmecs were Nahuatl speakers.

zompist
Boardlord
Boardlord

Post by zompist »

One of my favorites along these lines: an Aymara scholar had heard that the Native Americans arrived from Asia and spread south from Alaska. He therefore looked at place names from Alaska down to Bolivia, finding Aymara etymologies for them.

The kind of sad thing is that he wrote the Aymara dictionary and grammar I have. With less-studied languages, the cranks may be the only ones with the energy to produce the materials.

Xephyr
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Xephyr »

Same with John Asher Dunn. He's the foremost authority on Coast Tsimshian, wrote the grammar and dictionary, but he also is convinced that Tsimshianic is Indo-European.
"It will not come by waiting for it. It will not be said, 'Here it is,' or 'There it is.' Rather, the Kingdom of the Father is spread out upon the earth, and men do not see it."
The Gospel of Thomas

gach
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by gach »

The fortunate thing is that the cranks can still be entirely respectable in terms of the descriptive work they produce. I have a guide of the Finnish dialects written by Kalevi Wiik and the book does the descriptive job just fine despite the guy also being a proponent of the periglasial theory.

CatDoom
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by CatDoom »

Theta wrote:
Dewrad wrote:Pretty much anything any Indian nationalist says about Sanskrit counts here.
Tamil is another South Asian language that sometimes gets these theories attached to it. Interestingly enough I've never heard them for any of the other Dravidian languages, but maybe that's just because Tamil is the biggest.
A while back I was rooting around for online resources on Dravidian historical linguistics, and I found it a little disheartening how often I ran into people insisting that Tamil *is* proto-Dravidian, with the implication that every other Dravidian language is just a bastardized form of Tamil.

Miekko
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Miekko »

Whatwith the nationalist party having made some gains in the elections in India, it wouldn't surprise me if more money is channelled into fringe linguistics in India :(
< Cev> My people we use cars. I come from a very proud car culture-- every part of the car is used, nothing goes to waste. When my people first saw the car, generations ago, we called it šuŋka wakaŋ-- meaning "automated mobile".

Shrdlu
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Shrdlu »

Swedish is related to Nihali via on off-shot of Turkish that was forced across the Bosporus. Twise. Danish and especially Norwegian are unrelated languages that have borrowed much of the lexicon and undergone structural relexification but still displays a non-european substrate(Danish: Stod and Vigesimal counting, Norwegian: Lack of the sje-sound).
If I stop posting out of the blue it probably is because my computer and the board won't cooperate and let me log in.!

CatDoom
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by CatDoom »

Althought not really related to nationalism there's a "Cal-Uralic" hypothesis that seems to have been around for a while now, which rejects the evidence for a close relationship between the Miwok and Costanoan language families and instead argues that the Costanoan languages (as well as several nearby native Californian languages) are most closely related to the *Uralic* family. That seems like a *real* stretch to me, but hey, it's not like the proponents of the hypothesis are entirely unselfconscious:
It can also be noted that false cognates also exist in the corpus: for example Salinan tsˀep ‘good, well’ looks like a potential comparandum for Mokša tsebεr ‘beautiful, good’ or Hungarian szép ‘beautiful’. This is a loanword of Turkic origin. Mokša tsebεr is most probably from Tatar čibar and in all cases inherited words in Mokša cannot begin with affricates like ts or č. I am not aware of a received etymology for Hungarian szép. It is likely from a similar Turkic source. Apparently Miwok cannot be the source of that word in Salinan, nor does Miwok look Turkic.

This suggests Salinan might have been in contact with some kind of Turkic language in the past, either in Eurasia or in the Americas.
-Arnaud Fournet, A Preliminary Survey of Some Uralic Elements in Costanoan, Esselen, Chimariko and Salinan

I'm calling it; Tsimshianic can't be Indo-European, because it's obviously Turkic.

WeepingElf
Smeric
Smeric

Post by WeepingElf »

Ah, Arnaud Fournet. That crank used to molest the Nostratic-L mailing list for a while. He also used words for metals and domestic animals in sundry languages of the Ancient Near East as evidence for a relationship he dated to the Mesolithic, and kept a blog named "World Web Trolls, Idiots and Assholes" for the sole purpose of flaming other amateur linguists. That blog has since then been closed and deleted, probably not by Arnaud himself.
...brought to you by the Weeping Elf
Tha cvastam émi cvastam santham amal phelsa. -- Friedrich Schiller
ESTAR-3SG:P human-OBJ only human-OBJ true-OBJ REL-LOC play-3SG:A

Nortaneous
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Nortaneous »

Shrdlu wrote:Swedish is related to Nihali via on off-shot of Turkish that was forced across the Bosporus. Twise. Danish and especially Norwegian are unrelated languages that have borrowed much of the lexicon and undergone structural relexification but still displays a non-european substrate(Danish: Stod and Vigesimal counting, Norwegian: Lack of the sje-sound).
Some Tibetan dialects also have the sje-sound. This is evidence of their ancient link to the Aryan race something something Hyperborea
Siöö jandeng raiglin zåbei tandiüłåd;
nää džunnfin kukuch vklaivei sivei tåd.
Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei.

Chuma
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Chuma »

That brings to mind good old Olof Rudbeck, who claimed that Sweden is actually Atlantis, which is also the origin of all civilisation, and that Swedish is thus the original language spoken by the first humans. At the time, he was a world-leading scientist, not a fringe thinker at all. Fortunately, this was about 300 years ago. His work in connecting IE languages eventually led to better theories - he was sort of half right, he just got the order wrong.