Greek?

Discussion of natural languages, or language in general.
TriceraTiger
Niš
Niš

Greek?

Post by TriceraTiger »

So I'm having an on-and-off debate with my dad about phonemic /pʰ/ in Bengali. This sound is phonemic, but for many, mostly younger speakers, this sound has undergone fricativization, presumably from the influence of English, to become [f]. As all of you who know a thing or two about how language works, this is simple-it's a sound change; languages do this all the time, but my dad's position is that this is insane and if this keeps happening, Bengali grammar will die from this corruption. But I've been lucky-a language with no less a literary tradition than Ancient Greek underwent the same sound change (as in "philosophy" or "phonology," in English borrowed vocabulary). So my question is-do any of you here on the ZBB know of any accounts of Greek writers alive during the time this sound change was happening who were also complaining about how all the young'uns were speaking Greek wrong and that this would be the end of Greek grammar?

CaesarVincens
Lebom
Lebom

Re: Greek?

Post by CaesarVincens »

All writers (and older folk) seem to complain that the young'uns don't speak well. They complained in Elizabethan England; they complained in Rome. I'm sure the PIE speakers complained that their children weren't saying the word for hundred right also. So, it's more of whether a Greek/Byzantine Greek happened to put this in writing and it happened to survive over the 1.5 odd millennia.

chris-gr
Sanci
Sanci

Post by chris-gr »

It's not about Greek or something. It's about old people blabbering about younger people who just do their thing. And it has nothing to do with language (even when I attended high school my parents couldn't understand what I was saying, for crying out loud). So it's not about language --teenage slang is a fact--, it's about age gap. A nd this just beacuse I loved it:P http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/tomch ... ce-4000bc/
'I speak esperanto like a native'

gach
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by gach »

Isn't there a cuneiform tablet that complains about the bad grammar of scribal students. So even in documentation complaining about language change has a long history.