Kanji index numbers

Discussion of natural languages, or language in general.
Qwynegold
Smeric
Smeric

Kanji index numbers

Post by Qwynegold »

On this page, kanji are ordered according to which grade they're taught in, but is the order within each grade on this page based on anything? Is this like some kind of "official ordering"? And what about jōyō kanji? On this page they're just ordered after pronunciation. I have been trying to find out if there is any "official" order or index numbers to jōyō kanji, but it seems like there isn't. There's just different dictionaries and teaching materials that each have their own indexes.

I have a project on FrathWiki, sadly it's down at the moment so I can't show it, and need to order the jōyō kanji somehow. What order would you suggest? I need to exclude those kanji that are already in the kyōiku list, so it would be good if they are easily separable from the rest of the jōyō.
My most recent quiz:
Eurovision Song Contest 2018

Thomas Winwood
Lebom
Lebom

Re: Kanji index numbers

Post by Thomas Winwood »

The ordering of jōyō kanji on Wikipedia is taken from the listing on the website of the Ministry for Cultural Affairs, so you can take it as about as official as you're likely to get.

The official listing of the kyōiku kanji is similarly given on the website of the Ministry of Education, but unlike the jōyō list beyond the division into grades there doesn't seem to be any official sorting.

Qwynegold
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Qwynegold »

Thomas Winwood wrote:The ordering of jōyō kanji on Wikipedia is taken from the listing on the website of the Ministry for Cultural Affairs, so you can take it as about as official as you're likely to get.

The official listing of the kyōiku kanji is similarly given on the website of the Ministry of Education, but unlike the jōyō list beyond the division into grades there doesn't seem to be any official sorting.
Ah, I see. Here's the project I've been working on, btw. I want a similar list for jōyō kanji. That list on Wikipedia/Ministry of Cultural Affairs would make no sense in it's ordering in my project, since the readings are different. It would also be difficult to separate the kyōiku kanji from that list since they're all over the place. Is there an ordering you can recommend based on my criteria? Should I perhaps skip index numbers alltogether?
My most recent quiz:

Qwynegold
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Qwynegold »

I can't find information on how the radicals are ordered according to the jikeibiki order. Does anyone know? It seems like there are several jikeibiki orders, but isn't there one that's used in all modern dictionaries?
My most recent quiz:

clawgrip
Smeric
Smeric

Post by clawgrip »

I've mainly seen radicals arranged according to one of two systems: shape/position and stroke number. Stroke number is in my experience the more common, and I've always seen it arranged according to the Kangxi radical chart.

Qwynegold
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Qwynegold »

clawgrip wrote:I've mainly seen radicals arranged according to one of two systems: shape/position and stroke number. Stroke number is in my experience the more common, and I've always seen it arranged according to the Kangxi radical chart.
Ah, thanks! I'll use this.
My most recent quiz:

clawgrip
Smeric
Smeric

Post by clawgrip »

I've also seen it used with some modifications, for instance including ⺨, ⻌, ⻏ etc. in the main list because many people do not realize they are radical forms of 犬, ⾡ and 邑. Or, for example, including ⺣ and ⺖ alongside 火 and 心 since these characters have more than one radical form (e.g. 炊/熱, 忘/快) so it helps to be able to choose the specific one you want.

Qwynegold
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Qwynegold »

clawgrip wrote:I've also seen it used with some modifications, for instance including ⺨, ⻌, ⻏ etc. in the main list because many people do not realize they are radical forms of 犬, ⾡ and 邑. Or, for example, including ⺣ and ⺖ alongside 火 and 心 since these characters have more than one radical form (e.g. 炊/熱, 忘/快) so it helps to be able to choose the specific one you want.
Ah, I think I'm just gonna deal with the main forms because it makes it easier for me. And I only need this for the purpose of ordering things.

Btw, I don't seem to have a font that can display ⺨, ⾡, ⺣, ⺖...
My most recent quiz: