Idiolectal pronunciations

Discussion of natural languages, or language in general.
PVER•PVERVM•AMAT
Sanci
Sanci

Idiolectal pronunciations

Post by PVER•PVERVM•AMAT »

Is it at all common to have an idiolectal pronunciation of a word not in accordance with any dialect? /rəˈnesɑːns/ [rəˈnɛsaːns] is how I pronounce 'renaissance', though most of my pronunciations are fairly standard BrE (as standard as rhoticity and monophthongal GOAT and FACE can be in BrE, that is).

احمکي ارش-ھجن
Avisaru
Avisaru

Re: Idiolectal pronunciations

Post by احمکي ارش-ھجن »

PVER•PVERUM•AMAT wrote:Is it at all common to have an idiolectal pronunciation of a word not in accordance with any dialect? /rəˈnesɑːns/ [rəˈnɛsaːns] is how I pronounce 'renaissance', though most of my pronunciations are fairly standard BrE (as standard as rhoticity and monophthongal GOAT and FACE can be in BrE, that is).
I for for one pronounce "ea" like /e/ and not /i/.
ʾAšol ḵavad pulqam ʾifbižen lav ʾifšimeḻ lit maseḡrad lav lit n͛ubad. ʾUpulasim ṗal sa-panžun lav sa-ḥadṇ lav ṗal šarmaḵeš lit ʾaẏṭ waẏyadanun wižqanam.
- Article 1 of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights.

linguoboy
Sanno
Sanno

Post by linguoboy »

PVER•PVERUM•AMAT wrote:Is it at all common to have an idiolectal pronunciation of a word not in accordance with any dialect?
It's not unusual with words that you know primarily or solely from reading.

finlay
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by finlay »

I still mentally pronounce cache as /keiS/

linguoboy
Sanno
Sanno

Post by linguoboy »

finlay wrote:I still mentally pronounce cache as /keiS/
One of my persistent problems is pronouncing row as /row/ in all cases, since the meaning "argument, disturbance" simply isn't found in my dialect. Whenever it has this meaning, I force myself to reread the sentence with the proper pronunciation, but it just doesn't stick.

Zaarin
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Zaarin »

PVER•PVERUM•AMAT wrote:Is it at all common to have an idiolectal pronunciation of a word not in accordance with any dialect? /rəˈnesɑːns/ [rəˈnɛsaːns] is how I pronounce 'renaissance', though most of my pronunciations are fairly standard BrE (as standard as rhoticity and monophthongal GOAT and FACE can be in BrE, that is).
That could actually be confusing since /rəˈnesɑːns/ is actually a word, albeit spelled differently. Granted the only use I can think of is the Edna St. Vincent Millay poem (which I love).
"But if of ships I now should sing, what ship would come to me,
What ship would bear me ever back across so wide a Sea?”

KathTheDragon
Smeric
Smeric

Post by KathTheDragon »

Zaarin wrote:/rəˈnesɑːns/ is actually a word, albeit spelled differently.
What are you talking about? That's not the pronunciation.

Zaarin
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Zaarin »

KathAveara wrote:
Zaarin wrote:/rəˈnesɑːns/ is actually a word, albeit spelled differently.
What are you talking about? That's not the pronunciation.
Close enough: /rəˈneɪsəns/ and /rəˈnesɑːns/ aren't really all that far apart.

Rui
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Rui »

I think I have a few unique pronunciations (or certainly extremely rare one) due to the fact that my dialect is rhotic but contains many vowel qualities found in NY English but not General American. The first that comes to mind is "water" which I pronounce, approximately, [wɔəɾɚ], where GenAm has something closer to [wɔɾɚ] or even [wɑɾɚ], and NY English would probably have a higher stressed vowel, [oə] or [ʊə], and a non-rhotic final vowel

----
Smeric
Smeric

Post by ---- »

linguoboy wrote:
finlay wrote:I still mentally pronounce cache as /keiS/
One of my persistent problems is pronouncing row as /row/ in all cases, since the meaning "argument, disturbance" simply isn't found in my dialect. Whenever it has this meaning, I force myself to reread the sentence with the proper pronunciation, but it just doesn't stick.
This is the first time I've ever heard there's a difference.

Apparently the way I say "pecan" is idiosyncratic at least in this region. I've always said it as /pɪˈkæn/ but everyone else says it /pɪˈkɑn/.

Kereb
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Kereb »

PVER•PVERUM•AMAT wrote:Is it at all common to have an idiolectal pronunciation of a word not in accordance with any dialect?
among users of this board? oh my no. we had one user who proudly told us how he pronounced both the m and n in "column", another who invented an entire accent of his own to speak his native swedish in, and an L2 german learner who had decided to pronounce "ich" as [iɬ] (neither of those symbols is a mistake)

i think a good rule is that your pronunciations are only "idiolectal" if you don't think they are.

fuckin cut it out
<Anaxandridas> How many artists do you know get paid?
<Anaxandridas> Seriously, name five.

Richard W
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Richard W »

PVER•PVERUM•AMAT wrote:Is it at all common to have an idiolectal pronunciation of a word not in accordance with any dialect.
It's not rare - I have a few idiosyncrasies of my own in words I learnt before I was learning words by reading. I don't believe the claim that a child will naturally achieve perfect command of a language.

Zaarin
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Zaarin »

I somehow picked up pronouncing "either" with /aɪ/ even though I come from a dialect that pronounces it /i/ and my parents pronounce it with /i/. No idea how I picked it up, because I wasn't intentionally putting it on.

----
Smeric
Smeric

Post by ---- »

I pronounce 'either' both ways depending on some mystery factors I can't describe right now.

jal
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by jal »

Theta wrote:I pronounce 'either' both ways depending on some mystery factors I can't describe right now.
I always have [ai] in "either ... or", but probably mostly have [i:] sentence final ("I don't know either"). I always use [ai] in "neither".

In my native Dutch, I purposely pronounce "melange" as [meˈlɑŋə] instead of the standard faux-French [meˈlɑ̃ːʒ(ə)], much to the chagrine of my wife.

JAL

Nortaneous
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Nortaneous »

Was talking to a Slovenian on Skype the other day and he kept mentioning [rɛˈnesəns] Italy.

I have z > d in "isn't" and "wasn't" but that's a dialect thing -- my father has it too. He also pronounces 'on' as [uə̯n], with a vowel that AFAIK he doesn't have anywhere else.
Siöö jandeng raiglin zåbei tandiüłåd;
nää džunnfin kukuch vklaivei sivei tåd.
Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei.

finlay
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by finlay »

Theta wrote:I pronounce 'either' both ways depending on some mystery factors I can't describe right now.
Yeah, I've seen no evidence that this is governed by dialect or accent rather than random personal preference...

spidermilk
Sanci
Sanci

Post by spidermilk »

I say "Thay Ngyew" for thank you sometimes. "Ngy" is actually the onset of the word "you", and I stress "thank" hard but I still leave off the coda. Although that might be normal for the hillbilly town I live in. I haven't paid that much attention.
Economic Left/Right: -5.38
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -1.33

vokzhen
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by vokzhen »

spidermilk wrote:I say "Thay Ngyew" for thank you sometimes. "Ngy" is actually the onset of the word "you", and I stress "thank" hard but I still leave off the coda. Although that might be normal for the hillbilly town I live in. I haven't paid that much attention.
I have a feeling set phrases like that are especially prone to idiolect variation. My thank you, when it's just a social habit (getting change or a receipt, or as I first noticed, having my student ID scanned for food), is often voiceless except the [ɪu] of "you" is mostly breathy, and sometimes there's a little catch of breathiness in the "thank"-vowel, which appears to be a mid-centralized, (voicelessly) nasalized /ɛ/ instead of the nasalized [eə] I have in careful pronunciation, and the most prominent part of the entire phrase is the noisy, almost ɕ-like voiceless /j/. But I have a feeling this kind of variation is so common that it's not all that useful to talk about, like the thousand different ways people with the same name all manage to turn their signature into different illegible scribbles.

finlay
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by finlay »

My thank you has a bit of an unusual American twang to it sometimes. I wouldn't put too much stock in it. Also be wary of analyzing your own speech in such detail; it can lead to you overreporting erroneous details.

Anyway it's the same here: eg arigatou gozaimasu often becomes something like rigaazaimasu...everyone seems to have their own way of abbreviating it. Or I've heard irasshaimase shortened to shamse.

Imralu
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Imralu »

I used to pronounce "strength" and "length" with /ɪ/. I always thought that's what everyone else was saying too. It sounds like that to me.

Also, "onion" to me was always /ˈʌŋjən/.

I've brought all of these pronunciations in line with the normal ones but it was hard work. When I worked in a bottle shop, I sometimes accidentally found myself saying "med-stringth" instead of "mid-strength" because I'd "fix" the wrong vowel.
Glossing Abbreviations: COMP = comparative, C = complementiser, ACS / ICS = accessible / inaccessible, GDV = gerundive, SPEC / NSPC = specific / non-specific
________
MY MUSIC

linguoboy
Sanno
Sanno

Post by linguoboy »

Imralu wrote:I used to pronounce "strength" and "length" with /ɪ/. I always thought that's what everyone else was saying too. It sounds like that to me.
I do, too, but that's expected since I'm pin-pen merged. I didn't really notice this until I learned German and was struck by how different streng sounded. That taught me to make the distinction, which I do exceptionally now. For instance, I make a point of calling people named Ben who speak non-merged dialects [ˈbɛ̃n] and not [ˈbɪ̃n] (just as I use a different pronunciation for Barrys, Carols, and Larrys who are not marry-merry merged).

Last night I noticed how high my nucleus was in pants. I don't normally tense/break æ's (except in jest), but this might constitute an exception for some reason.

Imralu
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Imralu »

linguoboy wrote:
Imralu wrote:I used to pronounce "strength" and "length" with /ɪ/. I always thought that's what everyone else was saying too. It sounds like that to me.
I do, too, but that's expected since I'm pin-pen merged. I didn't really notice this until I learned German and was struck by how different streng sounded. That taught me to make the distinction, which I do exceptionally now. For instance, I make a point of calling people named Ben who speak non-merged dialects [ˈbɛ̃n] and not [ˈbɪ̃n] (just as I use a different pronunciation for Barrys, Carols, and Larrys who are not marry-merry merged)./quote]
I remember my grade seven teacher, who was from New Zealand, saying one day "Bin, ken you put thet un the bun, please?"
Glossing Abbreviations: COMP = comparative, C = complementiser, ACS / ICS = accessible / inaccessible, GDV = gerundive, SPEC / NSPC = specific / non-specific
________
MY MUSIC

CaesarVincens
Lebom
Lebom

Post by CaesarVincens »

I have the pen-pin merger and engma tensing so I have something like /streɪŋθ/ and /leɪŋθ/

Αυτοβοτα
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Αυτοβοτα »

I thought I was weird for saying /ˈʌŋjɨn/ for "onion". I think I say /streɪŋθ/ and /leɪŋθ/ for "strength" and "length". Also, /eɪg/ for "egg" and /kɛtʃ/ for "catch". I used to say /ˈpikæn/ for "pecan", but now I say /pɨˈkɑn/. I've been trying to reverse the g-raising, so instead, /ɛg/ for "egg", but the raising before eng is too far gone (and is "engma" just another way of saying "eng"?).

In some cases I merge /ɑ/ to /ʌ/, at least after /w/. There's the usual suspect, /wʌt/ for "what", but I also say /wʌʃ/ for "wash".

And different from everyone I know, I say /ʊ/ instead of /u/ in the cases of /hʊvz/ "hooves", /ɻʊf/ "roof", and /ɻʊt/ "root".
-_-_Aftovota_-_-